+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am no prude

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    Uniform- everything is the same,so....apart from slightly different colours.Yes,just a uniform they choose to wear.
    I find that very sad indeed.

Do you? That's a wee shame...

Am getting texts from two or 3 guys down there....
    Ranging from cringe to mortifying.....none of them getting a free pass into heaven so not taking high moral ground.

One saying scuffles between Scotland fans thru the drink and whatever else as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    100% this - Harry Lauder had no idea what he was starting
    �� was trying to think who started it. Russ Abbott's See You Jimmy hat is more likely for the current fans. But there are many performers who have made their fortune by playing up the daft Scots laddie. Krankies and from much earlier times Will Fyfe who gave us I belong to Glasgow, Dear old Glasgow town, Harry Lauder's Wee Deoch an Dorus. Seems we have a long history behind our drunk but friendly image. Not sure if there has been a major change from that self perception.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    �� was trying to think who started it. Russ Abbott's See You Jimmy hat is more likely for the current fans. But there are many performers who have made their fortune by playing up the daft Scots laddie. Krankies and from much earlier times Will Fyfe who gave us I belong to Glasgow, Dear old Glasgow town, Harry Lauder's Wee Deoch an Dorus. Seems we have a long history behind our drunk but friendly image. Not sure if there has been a major change from that self perception.
    Harry Lauder 'perfected' the image of the Scotsman in full highland wear but don't think he did the drunk bit, was it Will Fyffe that started that?

Donald whar's Yer Troosers by Andy Stewart perpetuated the kilt wearing image, again though he didn't play the drunk as far as I remember.

Russ Abbot was taking off the perceived image of the drunken, tartan clad Scot with Jimmy McJimmy and he was genuinely funny with it.

Gregor Fisher did nothing for the image of our country - wasn't even funny.

I hate the image, it's not Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Harry Lauder 'perfected' the image of the Scotsman in full highland wear but don't think he did the drunk bit, was it Will Fyffe that started that?

Donald whar's Yer Troosers by Andy Stewart perpetuated the kilt wearing image, again though he didn't play the drunk as far as I remember.

Russ Abbot was taking off the perceived image of the drunken, tartan clad Scot with Jimmy McJimmy and he was genuinely funny with it.

Gregor Fisher did nothing for the image of our country - wasn't even funny.

I hate the image, it's not Scotland.
    I thought Gregor Fisher gave a fair impression of a person of Glasgow, or thon tube in Leicester Square last night!
    Last edited by hmac; 18-06-2021 at 04:17 PM.

The scenes do very little for Scotland's reputation. Embarrassing really.

I'd love to know if like grantzer they are regular football fans or what % wouldnae go to a match and it's just an excuse for at buffoonery and bampottery..

Last Scotland game I was at was late 90s early noughties at rugby park only seen them once away from home 93 Portugal and it was never gonna be repeated after that.

There must be a fair % that actually care about the result, style of play qualification etc......just dosent come across like that.

Dare I say it's similar to those Dee fans who just like a guid away trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I'd love to know if like grantzer they are regular football fans or what % wouldnae go to a match and it's just an excuse for at buffoonery and bampottery..

Last Scotland game I was at was late 90s early noughties at rugby park only seen them once away from home 93 Portugal and it was never gonna be repeated after that.

There must be a fair % that actually care about the result, style of play qualification etc......just dosent come across like that.

Dare I say it's similar to those Dee fans who just like a guid away trip.
    I know one who's a 'Celtic fan' and also a member of the east of Scotland chapter of the tartan army. He's been to Parkhead twice and doesn't go to games at Dens or Tannadice.

Asked him once why he doesn't follow United given that his dad was a big DAB then at least he'd actually be able to see the team he purported to support - says his catholic upbringing demands that he support Celtic. That's the type of guy that travels with Scotland.

I do not understand what all the fuss is about Scotland football supporters travelling to London wearing kilts.
    In my opinion it is no different from people wearing a kilt when they get married.
    Some England football fans get dressed up as Richard the Lionheart when attending games at Wembley.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)