+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thousand of Ticketless Scots Head To London

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Two of the worst teams in the tournament.
    Pulis vs Mourinho…

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Hope all is good with you Thomas? Looks like we have an outside possibility of playing Sweden in the next round depending on how we finish, at the moment I would fancy Sweden. Anyway hope you can get to a game or two next season!
    I’m fine Dave, hope you and yours are too!

Well, if so, not anything for football lovers to look forward to then… We are possibly to play in Glasgow, and with current restrictions no Swedish fans can come. This EC is farcical, some teams play all games at home with supporters, many others (like us) travel between Spain, Sweden, Russia, Sweden, Russia… And regarding ”decent stadia”, there are plenty of them all around the whole of Europe to avoid this.

As for coming to games, that would be great, but under the current erratic and often not logic restrictions, we’ll have to see. Many countries in Europe welcome me and the mrs now without quarantine/self isolation (both had C-19 late April, and received vaccine), but not GB… Due to that many people/tourists will look elsewhere for holiday, which unfortunately will be detrimental to your economy.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    I’m fine Dave, hope you and yours are too!

Well, if so, not anything for football lovers to look forward to then… We are possibly to play in Glasgow, and with current restrictions no Swedish fans can come. This EC is farcical, some teams play all games at home with supporters, many others (like us) travel between Spain, Sweden, Russia, Sweden, Russia… And regarding ”decent stadia”, there are plenty of them all around the whole of Europe to avoid this.

As for coming to games, that would be great, but under the current erratic and often not logic restrictions, we’ll have to see. Many countries in Europe welcome me and the mrs now without quarantine/self isolation (both had C-19 late April, and received vaccine), but not GB… Due to that many people/tourists will look elsewhere for holiday, which unfortunately will be detrimental to your economy.
    Most U.K. holiday destinations have been booked up for months and many, such as the house I’m renting this week in Cornwall, are already fully booked for all the main holiday weeks for 2022 as well.

Three weeks ago I managed to get the only remaining week for summer holiday period 2022 at this place.

There’s almost no room left for anyone wanting to visit the country anyway so U.K. PLC are not really going to miss foreigners coming in.

Staycations have more than filled the gap.

Most U.K. holiday destinations have been booked up for months and many, such as the house I’m renting this week in Cornwall, are already fully booked for all the main holiday weeks for 2022 as well.

Three weeks ago I managed to get the only remaining week for summer holiday period 2022 at this place.

There’s almost no room left for anyone wanting to visit the country anyway so U.K. PLC are not really going to miss foreigners coming in.

Staycations have more than filled the gap.
    We just cancelled 3 weeks in Cornwall with a full refund - I don’t think we are the only foreigners doing so.

I am not sure whether hotels, restaurants etc in, say, London agree about staycation filling the gap.

You want to try some other places as well as Cornwall Thomas, our country is very diverse for it's size. Devon is picturesque, Dorset has the Jurassic coast, Kent is known as the garden of England, East Anglia is flat but has the broads, Yorkshire, Shropshire and the Lake district all have outstanding scenery. Then there is Wales and Scotland.

We just cancelled 3 weeks in Cornwall with a full refund - I don’t think we are the only foreigners doing so.

I am not sure whether hotels, restaurants etc in, say, London agree about staycation filling the gap.
    Interesting to see what the numbers say compared to 2019, the economies of the Greek islands, Spanish coast etc rely heavily on British tourists, this cash will now be spent at home, I think you may be right about the impact to London as a tourist destination but as Mick says the rest of the UK is fully booked up.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Interesting to see what the numbers say compared to 2019, the economies of the Greek islands, Spanish coast etc rely heavily on British tourists, this cash will now be spent at home, I think you may be right about the impact to London as a tourist destination but as Mick says the rest of the UK is fully booked up.
    Yes, same with us, Stockholm compared to the countryside.

But, considering what a huge international all-year-round tourist magnet London is, I’d be surprised if there is no effect. I suspect that some of your other bigger cities experience the same.

Countries in southern Europe try to simplify travel to compensate for losses.

London is a poor example in this argument though.

I’m English and I’ve visited London itself as a tourist just once in my life aged 7.

I can’t see myself ever going back, I have zero interest in visiting a large inner city for a U.K. holiday.

I would bet any money you like that the dates you have cancelled have already been filled within minutes or at most hours after you cancelled.

We we offered the chance to cancel the trip we are on at present in the week prior to leaving for it........why you might ask?

Because they’re able to sell the same accommodation for a large amount more than they were when I booked it.

I don’t mean to sound harsh Thomas but as far as our holiday industry is concerned you won’t be missed either this year or next.

Once normal travel returns and people can travel to Spain and Portugal again then your attendance will be important.

Just for fun, try to book somewhere half decent in Cornwall now for July or August and let us know what the result is?

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    You want to try some other places as well as Cornwall Thomas, our country is very diverse for it's size. Devon is picturesque, Dorset has the Jurassic coast, Kent is known as the garden of England, East Anglia is flat but has the broads, Yorkshire, Shropshire and the Lake district all have outstanding scenery. Then there is Wales and Scotland.
    I know all about that Des, Cornwall still the favourite though. 😎

Been to Scotland, Wales, the Lake District, all around Yorkshire, Kent, all over the South Coast, Cotswolds, London etc, etc.

And, West Bromwich of course, 😎😜

London is a poor example in this argument though.

I’m English and I’ve visited London itself as a tourist just once in my life aged 7.

I can’t see myself ever going back, I have zero interest in visiting a large inner city for a U.K. holiday.

I would bet any money you like that the dates you have cancelled have already been filled within minutes or at most hours after you cancelled.

We we offered the chance to cancel the trip we are on at present in the week prior to leaving for it........why you might ask?

Because they’re able to sell the same accommodation for a large amount more than they were when I booked it.

I don’t mean to sound harsh Thomas but as far as our holiday industry is concerned you won’t be missed either this year or next.

Once normal travel returns and people can travel to Spain and Portugal again then your attendance will be important.

Just for fun, try to book somewhere half decent in Cornwall now for July or August and let us know what the result is?
    Read my reply to Dave P 67 about London, our opinions differ on impact on the whole British economy. All the Asians, Americans etc, etc all year round do spend some pennies, imo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)