+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ellis joins Barrow

We knew 4 mins ago in the first post, this has just confirmed it

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Agreed, Best of luck to him. I think we will start the season with both Rawlinson and Lacey as the two centre backs...
    Shame about Ellis but Rawlinson and Lacey have been our best pairing at centre back over the past two seasons, in terms of not conceding goals. It’s just a case of how IB wants his centre backs to play and whether they fit the bill. Lacey certainly should. Personally, I would like more height throughout the team, starting with the midfield, so that we can match the opposition more at set pieces.

I do hope this means that Miller is the loanee we’re trying to sign on a permanent basis

I can say it now, I'm relieved.

After what he did for us, along with Rodders, getting us in the play-offs because of his goals, he deserved the offer and to make whatever decision he wanted.

But he's never going to suit the IB style. For one thing, he won't be wanting to use his long throws. And for all the points he'll win for you at one end he will probably give back at the other. Also, there have to be questions over his durability after his serious injuries.

Very best of luck to him (who knows he might even be back) and thanks for such a valuable and very memorable loan spell.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Agreed, Best of luck to him. I think we will start the season with both Rawlinson and Lacey as the two centre backs...
    I’d be surprised if Rawlinson starts as first choice CB.

As for Ellis, yeah good loan signing, but not a great fit permanently.

Ellis is probably the first loan signing since Grealish and McGregor that I can think of that had such an immediate impact. Such a shame we did not have him in our last season in the football league, or many seasons in the league previously.

He was a traditional lower league centre back who knew how to head a ball, get rid, had a dangerous long throw and could score goals. Until Ellis came in no defender had scored this season.

At his age it’s understandable if he has family and is settled further North that he would sign for a club like Barrow. Also it could be his last chance to play in the football league so you can’t begrudge any player who wants to play at the highest level possible. Likewise if he’s not suited to how we may be set up next season then that’s fair enough.

I wish him good luck and all the best and thank him especially for that last minute headed goal against Chesterfield in the playoff quarter final in front of the Kop as that will go down as a classic and memorable moment that got us to the semi final.

After his spell in Carlisle, does he have a place there, kids at school?
    This could be the main factor, and who wouldn't want to live around the Lake District?

Rawlinson as a regular starter oh dear

Yeah rock solid pro. I was hoping he would stay. Got a better offer. Whatever.

Simply it seems like a good move for him geographically and why wouldn't he. I am quite sure he is replaceable though but certainly our best loan signing of last season with Miller. I can't see him staying either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast