+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 - England vs. Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Riverleeno View Post
    Know what you mean but hopefully under IB there's cause for optimism.
    Like Roy Keane when he lays into England, because all the things he says often relate to Notts

England were to slow to start, and let the Scotland gain confidense
    England were always second to the ball from set pieces, if they get there first they have a 50% chance of scoring
    England showed no urgency, they were just tapping the ball about, never in the last 3rd of the pitch

It was just not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Like Roy Keane when he lays into England, because all the things he says often relate to Notts

England were to slow to start, and let the Scotland gain confidense
    England were always second to the ball from set pieces, if they get there first they have a 50% chance of scoring
    England showed no urgency, they were just tapping the ball about, never in the last 3rd of the pitch

It was just not good enough
    So true.

I'm watching Hungary V France, cracking match, 2 teams trying to play football.

I doubt England would beat Hungary, never mind France.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    So true.

I'm watching Hungary V France, cracking match, 2 teams trying to play football.

I doubt England would beat Hungary, never mind France.
    Souness just now - England players have got to look forward and go forward, to make a pass; too happy to *just* keep possession.

EU/FA directive: All Linos to be renamed 'cushion floor' for the start of the 2022 season.
    I think that idea will just get swept under the carpet

England to me look like a reflection of the personality of their manager, and very much like his Middlesbrough team used to be: bang average and rather uninspiring. Southgate produced one of the most tepid, boring Premier League teams I've ever had the misfortune to watch, and generally speaking, his England side are similar. He got away with it at 'Boro because their aim was only ever to survive, but this England squad are expected to be serious challengers. I thought we were lucky to get as far as we did in the last World Cup, and even then we contrived to lose to a Croatia team who were not that brilliant.

Southgate is absolutely right to coach the England players to treasure possession, because you can't win an international tournament with games every three/four days by playing the kick and rush style we used to do. The players simply burn out by the quarter finals. However, the passing/possession game needs to be much higher tempo, moving the ball quicker and asking the players to work harder to give each other options. Last night we were static and slow, which negated the superior ability our players had compared with Scotland's. We simply played in front of them, mostly going side-to-side.

The transformation we need to see is not dissimilar to the one that has happened since Burchnall replaced Ardley at Notts. Everything needs to be done at a quicker, sharper tempo and players need to be more willing to play forward passes, because if we put the likes of Foden, Mount and Grealish on the front foot, they can do damage. Has Southgate got the coaching ability to deliver that next level of development, like Mancini appears to have done with Italy? I'm far from convinced to be honest.
    Last edited by jackal2; 19-06-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    England to me look like a reflection of the personality of their manager, and very much like his Middlesbrough team used to be: bang average and rather uninspiring. Southgate produced one of the most tepid, boring Premier League teams I've ever had the misfortune to watch, and generally speaking, his England side are similar. He got away with it at 'Boro because their aim was only ever to survive, but this England squad are expected to be serious challengers. I thought we were lucky to get as far as we did in the last World Cup, and even then we contrived to lose to a Croatia team who were not that brilliant.

Southgate is absolutely right to coach the England players to treasure possession, because you can't win an international tournament with games every three/four days by playing the kick and rush style we used to do. The players simply burn out by the quarter finals. However, the passing/possession game needs to be much higher tempo, moving the ball quicker and asking the players to work harder to give each other options. Last night we were static and slow, which negated the superior ability our players had compared with Scotland's. We simply played in front of them, mostly going side-to-side.

The transformation we need to see is not dissimilar to the one that has happened since Burchnall replaced Ardley at Notts. Everything needs to be done at a quicker, sharper tempo and players need to be more willing to play forward passes, because if we put the likes of Foden, Mount and Grealish on the front foot, they can do damage. Has Southgate got the coaching ability to deliver that next level of development, like Mancini appears to have done with Italy? I'm far from convinced to be honest.
    What’s been remarkable about Italy is the intensity of their play and how quickly they win the ball back when they lose possession. We were sluggish both with and without the ball last night, which was a major concern. I’d prefer to go out of the tournament by attacking too much rather than defending too much.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    I think that idea will just get swept under the carpet
    Ew Bank on it.

Ew Bank on it.
    Hoover **** are you ?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    Hoover **** are you ?
    You're dyson with your luck talking to me like that.

I'll still be upright.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast