+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England v Scotland Match Preview

You are too generous SS. They were Southgate's tactics, we did not play attacking football, they were obviously instructed to play the safe option, "pass back" rather than be adventurous and go forward. Southgate and Neville both inherited two good teams of attacking players and have both negated those skills. They are clueless as tacticians but great as yes men following the dictates of an incompetent footballing organisation.

I was thoroughly impressed with the performance.That must be the fastest knee they have ever done.They even had music and cheers on the loudspeakers to drown out the booing.Very impressive.
    Kim Jong-un or President Xi would be over the moon with a display like that!

Credit where it's due CIB

If our manager and squad could stop worrying about stuff they have no control over whatsoever and concentrate on playing football and beating the opposing team instead of making political statements and taking the pi$S by taking the knee, we might have a chance of winning a bloody football match.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Easy to blame the manager, however, in the early part of the second half we strung over 20 passes together from 10 yards inside our own half and progressed to 10 yards in the other half --not once ---three times!

Grealish was awarded a free kick on the touchline about 30 yards from the Scotland goal. We took the kick short and after passes the ball was being kicked downfield by Pickford!
    Players were making those decisions, we all think that the manager is to blame, however, I blame the 'modern game' which seems to revolve on how much possession you have but totally ignores that you have to score to win!
    In out two games so far we have had 3 shots on target and yet, we have 4 points, whilst the Scots have mustered 6 shots on target, haven't scored and are hanging on with 1 point from a hard-earned draw tonight.

Watching England is like watching paint dry and my thoughts are that many of the players think that they are far better than they actually are. Very sad to say the least.

BT ---I thought that you said that England would win this game easily.
    Sub - he’s the man pulling the strings all of them - he’s blessed with a wealth of attacking options which he blatantly ignores and continues to produce negative football.

I’m going to throw a real controversial statement in here , if Burnley had played instead of England we’d have created more chances on goal than England did , it might not have been pretty to watch with little possession but we’d have offered more than England’s finest tonight in the way of goal threats.

We have the best finisher striker I’ve seen for many a year in Kane ( doesn’t look fit to me) but def the best finisher and we couldn’t create an opening to get him an effort on goal the whole time he was on the pitch , in fact the real chance he created for others coming wide into space , we then subbed him the captain and brought on rashford with pace but no service or space In behind Scotland’s defence for that to be effective.

Gareth then removed Foden to bring on grealish ( I’d have tried them together - the jocks can’t mark every great player with movement who commits people ).

Sterling offered nothing but Sancho stayed on the bench who has blistering pace.

The two midfield players sat in Rice and Philips and the jocks were happy with that , I don’t know the stats but I’d be interested to see the level
    Of possession for us in our back third and the first third of the jocks half , because to me we played the majority of the game in those positions.

Scotland came to do what they did and they grew in confidence when they realised we had no
    One at the helm ( Southgate ) with an answer to their tactical nonsense - these are the so called elite in management and players and we offered nothing to suggest we could break the boredom.

I’d much rather our lot had come out. At the begging and said it’s a nothing game stope hyping it up to be the old enemy blood and thunder clash of yesteryear- one thing apparent to me though with all that aside tactics and egos , The Scots had the will to win - the heart - desire whatever you want to call it - underdogs they may have been on the night but they went home winners really ( despite the score line ).

With a bit more luck in front of goal they could have gone home comfortably 3-1 hero’s.

I’m not a fan of Southgate his tactics or selection process ( if there is one ) but I would like to see a little bit of passion and real commitment in our play for England , after all we are the greatest country ever with proud people who just want to see a game where the manager isn’t a drip and the players look like they’re giving everything to wear the Shirt.

I froze the replay to check, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, about 10 minutes to go, we were 'attacking' down the right, James had the ball and there was a big, wide open space outside the Scottish penalty area, I was wondering why Philips wasn't running into it, the camera panned back and there was Philips, facing our own goal, ambling back towards the half-way line. He just wasn't interested in joining in, WTF was that all about ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I froze the replay to check, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, about 10 minutes to go, we were 'attacking' down the right, James had the ball and there was a big, wide open space outside the Scottish penalty area, I was wondering why Philips wasn't running into it, the camera panned back and there was Philips, facing our own goal, ambling back towards the half-way line. He just wasn't interested in joining in, WTF was that all about ?
    Exactly Sinkov - though I think in his defence he’s been one of the better players for us.

My thing is he plays sat in front of the backs at Leeds week in week out and has obviously made an impression or he would t be in the squad so why does he need Rice to do the same thing at the side of him when we have abundant talent / game changers warming benches - I’ve given up with it honestly that was the tamest -poor game of football from an English perspective if watched for some time , all the talk of passion and pride wearing the shirt before hand , then a game like that for all the world to see.

England are completey one dimensional in approach , we got out Thought - out fought —— I wouldn’t even mind losing if we offered something and looked like we wanted to win the game , if I’d paid money for that last night I’d have been gutted.

".............I’m going to throw a real controversial statement in here , if Burnley had played instead of England we’d have created more chances on goal than England did , it might not have been pretty to watch with little possession but we’d have offered more than England’s finest tonight in the way of goal threats. .............."

army ---you mean just like the Scots did with 20% less possession but more shots on goal and more on target. Let's be honest, with the exception of a handfull of games, watching England over the past 20+ years has been a chore rather than something to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    There was also an occasion when the ball was cleared from the England penalty area towards the bear side touchline,with Sterling going in chase,and several England players were just walking up the field.No urgency whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    There was also an occasion when the ball was cleared from the England penalty area towards the bear side touchline,with Sterling going in chase,and several England players were just walking up the field.No urgency whatsoever.
    The overall outcome though is that, with the draw last night, England only need a draw with the Czech Republic to go through to the next stage. Ironically, the Czech Republic are in exactly the same situation. I wonder!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)