+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For the future of English football.

Disappointing show from us. As some have already said, too much passing backwards but Scotland were very well set out and as soon as we got the ball, organised themselves quickly and ruled out quick passes forward. But also, we were very slow to make space and play the ball forward when we'd just regained possession and had a chance to catch them out of shape. That was the big disappointment for me. It was a mix of either no one being quick enough to find the space or the player regaining possession not seeing available players and quickly playing the ball forward. As a result lots of passing backwards and across the back. On the one level, a great achievement from Southgate since taking over from Sam and Roy is that we no longer lose the ball so easily and can play the ball around accurately as much as most top Euro sides, but the problem is we aren't incisive and making chances from the possession. All boils down to players not finding space, or players not quick enough in seeing the players making space and passing forward to them. Or a mixture of both.

Very similar to Spurs who I've seen loads this season under Mourinho. Exactly the same problem.

I'd have been more tempted to put Calvert-Lewin on for Kane and get some crosses in later in the game, or use him to hold the ball further up top.

Worrying now that Czecks only have to hold onto a draw to finish top and will likely play the same way. I agree with gru I think that I'd play Grealish or Foden behind Kane and have Kane stop dropping back. Or start with C-L. We'll need to find ways of taking the ball at the defences we face instead of just looking for passes into holes from deep.

Still in with a shout but I am seeing the likes of France and Italy who both can play the ball around but have outlets for the ball and are incisive in speedy passing, and thinking we're nowhere near that level. Maybe we'll click when playing a more expansive team and create chances but worried that we'll draw against the Czecks, and find ourselves straight up against France who we'll no doubt give a good game to (we have some quality players) but then our defence will be likely found out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I think the pundits on both channels are particularly poor, commentary not much better either.
    Yeah, very naff. Hence why I switch on now just before kickoff and daydream at halftime. All very drab.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Disappointing show from us. As some have already said, too much passing backwards but Scotland were very well set out and as soon as we got the ball, organised themselves quickly and ruled out quick passes forward. But also, we were very slow to make space and play the ball forward when we'd just regained possession and had a chance to catch them out of shape. That was the big disappointment for me. It was a mix of either no one being quick enough to find the space or the player regaining possession not seeing available players and quickly playing the ball forward. As a result lots of passing backwards and across the back. On the one level, a great achievement from Southgate since taking over from Sam and Roy is that we no longer lose the ball so easily and can play the ball around accurately as much as most top Euro sides, but the problem is we aren't incisive and making chances from the possession. All boils down to players not finding space, or players not quick enough in seeing the players making space and passing forward to them. Or a mixture of both.

Very similar to Spurs who I've seen loads this season under Mourinho. Exactly the same problem.

I'd have been more tempted to put Calvert-Lewin on for Kane and get some crosses in later in the game, or use him to hold the ball further up top.

Worrying now that Czecks only have to hold onto a draw to finish top and will likely play the same way. I agree with gru I think that I'd play Grealish or Foden behind Kane and have Kane stop dropping back. Or start with C-L. We'll need to find ways of taking the ball at the defences we face instead of just looking for passes into holes from deep.

Still in with a shout but I am seeing the likes of France and Italy who both can play the ball around but have outlets for the ball and are incisive in speedy passing, and thinking we're nowhere near that level. Maybe we'll click when playing a more expansive team and create chances but worried that we'll draw against the Czecks, and find ourselves straight up against France who we'll no doubt give a good game to (we have some quality players) but then our defence will be likely found out.
    If we draw against the Czech Republic we'll play Spain, Sweden, Poland or Slovenia in the next round. If we beat them we'll play the runner up of the France/Germany/Portugal group. I don't foresee a victory

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    If we draw against the Czech Republic we'll play Spain, Sweden, Poland or Slovenia in the next round. If we beat them we'll play the runner up of the France/Germany/Portugal group. I don't foresee a victory
    I thought that if we finished 2nd in our group we play the top team of France's group?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I thought that if we finished 2nd in our group we play the top team of France's group?
    Nope. Winner of our group plays the runner up of the France group. Runner up in our group plays the runner up in Spain's group.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Nope. Winner of our group plays the runner up of the France group. Runner up in our group plays the runner up in Spain's group.
    Ta chuck

Would be nice to see England take a team to pieces for a change,when did that last happen ?
    Big G seems intent on playing young players,even if they aren`t very good,get some old gits in as well,in all honesty Smithy and Ben Wiles wouldn`t have looked out of place last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Would be nice to see England take a team to pieces for a change,when did that last happen ?
    Big G seems intent on playing young players,even if they aren`t very good,get some old gits in as well,in all honesty Smithy and Ben Wiles wouldn`t have looked out of place last night.
    I think it was when we bombed Dresden

We have to give credit to the jocks for their performance last night, we millers get frustrated when we play well against the championship teams but get no recognition from their supporters because basically it wasnt anything we did, it was because their team was rubbish/manager picked wrong players.
    The Scots did a job on us last night giving us no time on the ball, and we can talk about us not being quick enough with our passing but that is easier said than done when the team collectively are being closed down quickly.
    However, team selection under Gareth is almost always negative considering the abundance of attacking talent we have, and for all the criticism Sterling has had on here, he would be one of my first picks to start although I have to say I have no idea how he wasnt taken off last night.
    It seems GS sees Jack Grealish as someone to come on and change a game, instead of someone to start and dominate it, but last night for me was all about how well Scotland played and not necessarily how poor we were. UTM

If Grealish is our saviour then we are f*cked,got some talent but no where as good as he thinks he is, and he's made from tissue paper.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast