+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your expectations for next season?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Kelton's posts would have made a lot more sense in the 2 points per win era when keeping a clean sheet would guarantee you at least 50% of what you'd get for a win. In the last season of 2 for a win, if we'd drawn every single game that season, we'd have finished 10th. I think that's where the old adage of - sort your defense out first and everything else falls into place from there - was born out of that old system, but it no longer applies, especially if you're looking to go up. Averaging one point a game today can get you relegated.
    Yep, it is a different game these days in so many ways but that's the single most important difference. 'Respecting the point' is actually respecting only one third of the potential now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    My concerns arent about scoring them they are about conceding them!!
    If we play a 3 the centre of the 3 has to be a head in a stick and a leader. The two either side of him have to be able to leg it and head it. They will get turned and need to be able to deal with that. Rawlo cudnt do it last season and wont next and he isnt dominant enough in the air to play in the centre of the 3 neither is Lacey. Unless we find that centre back to play in the middle of the 3 we will struggle to deal with crosses. So what is Rawlinson going to do? Lacey will play on the right so where is Rawlinson going play??
    I know, we all know what to concerns are about our defensive as a unit and individuals playing in the centre . Whether we play 4 or 5 at the back we need another good solid centre half coming into the squad.

But what about the other side of the game, are you happy with Notts going forward under IB? Do you think we will score enough goals? Will one more physical centre forward to help take some of the pressure do? Or do we need more?

We all know it’s all very well not conceding goals, that’s great and something every team strives for but you need to be able to regularly score 2+ goals which we struggled to do before IBs arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Yep, it is a different game these days in so many ways but that's the single most important difference
    Just looking at the last two seasons stats at this level says as much.

2019/20 Goals per game table - Barrow 1st, Harrogate 2nd..... Goals against per game table - Barrow 3rd, Harrogate 6th

2020/21 Goals per game table - Sutton 1st...... Goals against per game table - Sutton 2nd

2018/19 when we were last in tier 4, Bury went up as runners up with the best attack in the league and 10th best defence. The top three were also the top three scorers.

I will make my prediction when the squad takes more shape. As it stands it’s impossible to guess. We also have no idea on budget (unless I missed something) which will become clearer when we start signing new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I will make my prediction when the squad takes more shape. As it stands it’s impossible to guess. We also have no idea on budget (unless I missed something) which will become clearer when we start signing new players.
    Very wise, it's impossible now to know what to expect.
    Going back to one of my earlier posts, I'm convinced we need 3 new first teamers who can contribute at the same level as 'Wootton, Slocombe, Lacey, Reeves'. Is that a realistic hope? And those would have to be down the spine of the team IMO and we'd have to settle for having someone like Chicksen at left back for example.

I also go along with another poster who said quality over quantity - better if we only have 4 rather than 6+ recruits in that case and a smaller squad size. We could give bench spots to younger players like Knight and dip into the loan market later as the injuries kick in.

On a potential bright note, provided he can get and remain fit Cal Roberts will be like a new signing for us compared to last season.

Quote Originally Posted by bule1 View Post
    On a potential bright note, provided he can get and remain fit Cal Roberts will be like a new signing for us compared to last season.
    That would be absolutely fantastic.
    And if IB plays 4-3-3 he'd fit back in very nicely up front.
    Even with 3-5-2, he plays next to Wootton and Rodders takes a midfield slot?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Why would I do that im a county supporter. I assume your sarcastic post is because you fear the point im making?
    No, definitely not.

It’s just that your posts were unusually positive when Ardley was in charge, and are unusually negative now we have someone else in charge. To the point where it wouldn’t surprise me if you were Ardley, or someone who knew him.

We certainly weren’t great defensively in the playoff games, but they were both a far better watch than virtually everything in the first half of the season. I obviously hope IB can tighten us up in pre season while keeping us entertaining to watch.

So much depends on the new signings... I definitely reserve the right to change any predictions in line with the quality of new players we sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    What are your minimum expectations for the club to achieve next season, what do you think we are likely to get, and what's goal do you think we should aim for?

Mine are as follows:

Minimum: Firmly in the playoffs, with a playoff spot never in doubt. I also expect, at a minimum, that the players TRY to win every match, even when we're two or three goals down. I love the way they've been playing "never say die" of late and want to see that continue.

Expected: We'll probably come second or third with a chance of promotion through playoffs

Goal: I think we should aim for automatic promotion but I suspect this will be a big ask

I know a lot of people will want to put "Promoted" as their expectation... I don't think there is any way to guarantee promotion in any given season, even if you are the best team with the best manager. Too much randomness in football.
    My expectations for next season are continued improvement. By this I mean work on our attacking play, intensity, and also defending set pieces.

Last season we fell short of the title by five wins and an extra draw compared to Sutton. Likewise Sutton scored ten more goals than us and conceded five less. These should be our targets for improvement which is ten points extra over the season. Do this and we will be in with a good chance of winning the title.

The ten extra goals required is going to have to come from a new striker to partner Wootton the way I see it. For me this is going to be our biggest and most toughest position to fill as every club wants proven goal scorers. Hopefully we can find someone suitable who will want to come.

Enzio scored 7 goals last season so that shortfall is going to have to come the likes of Rodrigues through extra starts he should get next season compared to last along with Roberts.

A suitable replacement for Doyle on the pitch will be another key signing. Casper Sloth was probably expected to be that player last season but we all know how that turned out.

Until we have signed players then I’m holding off predicting where I think we will finish.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast