+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else quite enjoying the National League?

Is anyone else quite enjoying the National League?

I know we're supposed to be having the worst years of our Nott-supporting lives, but to be honest, I've quite enjoyed the last two seasons - and I'm very much looking forward to the next. We get to start each season as genuine promotion contenders and win more games than we lose - something we've not been able to do consistently in any other division, at least not during my 30 years as a fan.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty shocking that we ended up playing at this level, and I'd much rather be chasing promotion a division or two above where we are now. But all things considered, I'd rather watch us win plenty of games and batter a few teams along the way than struggle in L2. Besides, that feeling that we've fallen too far isn't exactly new - I remember feeling the same way in L2 and even L1.

Anyone else feel the same, or have I gone completely mad?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    or have I gone completely mad?
    Stockholm syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Stockholm syndrome
    Probably.

But can anyone honestly say that now is worse than the Gudjon era, the pre-Munto years, or the last days of the Trew Empire?

Probably.

But can anyone honestly say that now is worse than the Gudjon era, the pre-Munto years, or the last days of the Trew Empire?
    Yes, yes and no

Yes because the next change of division in those days turned out to be promotion to L1 and no because that period turned out to be the foreword to a story that ended with us falling of the edge the FL cliff.

Being in a division with only two up is not a positive.

“Worse” is always a relative term. Clearly in terms of league position, this last has been our worst season ever, but it doesn’t tell the whole story does it? I think the Club is slowly rebuilding again, and when we get back in the league, we’ll be stronger, and hopefully more sustainable. I think we have the basis of a better squad than for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Yes, yes and no

Yes because the next change of division in those days turned out to be promotion to L1 and no because that period turned out to be the foreword to a story that ended with us falling of the edge the FL cliff.

Being in a division with only two up is not a positive.
    This^^^

I wouldn't mind half as much if it was a case of 3 up 3 down. It's such a pig of a league to get out of.

It's a league, the one we are in. I enjoy it for that but desire better.

Beware, are we dying a slow death?

One where you lose out on players to clubs like Barrow and struggle to attract or retain a good standard of player?
    How much enjoyment would there be in hearing that Meadow Lane is really not suitable for the league we're in and we have to move to a much smaller ground?

There might be some enjoyment to be had in the games and competition, but not in the non-league status. I hope I never get past that.

I know we're supposed to be having the worst years of our Nott-supporting lives, but to be honest, I've quite enjoyed the last two seasons - and I'm very much looking forward to the next. We get to start each season as genuine promotion contenders and win more games than we lose - something we've not been able to do consistently in any other division, at least not during my 30 years as a fan.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty shocking that we ended up playing at this level, and I'd much rather be chasing promotion a division or two above where we are now. But all things considered, I'd rather watch us win plenty of games and batter a few teams along the way than struggle in L2. Besides, that feeling that we've fallen too far isn't exactly new - I remember feeling the same way in L2 and even L1.

Mixed feelings really. I find it hard to find us playing at this level, but it’s still had a lot of positives. A goal or a win is celebrated just as much as it ever was, and the fans down here are far better than the plastic Premiership fans.

Not at £390 for a season ticket still No

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast