+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tippity Tappity

Tippity Tappity

Watching the Euros over the past few days I was struck by comparisons between some teams and Notts. Obviously we lack the skill levels etc but style of play is a different matter.

England reminded me of Notts under Ardley. So desperate to "play the right way" both managers sacrificed attacking intent in order to retain possession and ensure they don't concede. Of course no-one wants to constantly give the opposition the ball but it becomes counter productive. It takes so many passes to get in the other half the opposition has plenty of time to get organised, and the complete lack of tempo ensures they're rarely stretched. I've heard endless compliments for Scotland but really England did their upmost to make the task easier for them. You aren't pressuring the other team when the ball is mostly around the centre circle.

It isn't just England either. Last night with minutes to go and really needing a win Spain are still passing it around the back. I'm not suggesting they had to lump it, but there is a middle ground, you can play in the oppositions half.

I've watched a lot of football over the last year and I'm not surprised we're seeing this style of play in this tournament. Many top teams seem obsessed with ball retention, seemingly determined to bore their opposition into submission. I personally find these matches thoroughly tiresome.

Other teams seem to be able to find the middle ground. They pass it quicker, mix the play and attack in numbers. It really is a matter of mindset. Southgate is like Ardley, defensive minded and pragmatic. Poor managers, or defensive types hide behind the "total football" ethos, when really they're simply afraid of losing.

But the good news is the Euro's have been full of up-tempo attacking football. The perfect example of what Notts should be, and what I believe Burchnall wants us to be. And that's why I am more confident now than I have been for a long time. He knows how to dominate play, and of course how to entertain.

England's negative approach has made the game against the most difficult opposition a far more difficult and risky for us. Get this one wrong and there is a big fat trap door for us, unfortunately I think it will drive us further into the "don't concede at all costs" camp.

I heard Craig Bryson (ex Derby) in an interview saying how he disliked international football because he said the big teams fear to lose.
    I think that was very true in how England performed.

Quote Originally Posted by meoldlaner View Post
    I heard Craig Bryson (ex Derby) in an interview saying how he disliked international football because he said the big teams fear to lose.
    What, respect the point? Canardley believe that's what England have come to.

Russia 18 was a bit of a high point for international football. Lots of high tempo attacking football. This tournament is being hamstrung by having 24 teams and the ridiculous 3rd place qualification system. Hopefully the knockouts will be better.

I can see the comparisons between Ardley and Southgate. Both nice men, both want to play nice football without seemingly much idea of how to make it effective. Both highly dependent on individual moments of brilliance.

Southgate will no doubt get the EFL equivalent of Solihull when he eventually leaves.

I can think of another reason why Master Splinter disliked international football, playing for Scotland can't be too much fun.

To be fair, being negative and boring is generally the way to win these tournaments. Certainly applies to pretty much all recent World Cup and Euros winners, going back as far as Greece’s absolute robbery in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by pielover View Post
    Watching the Euros over the past few days I was struck by comparisons between some teams and Notts. Obviously we lack the skill levels etc but style of play is a different matter.

England reminded me of Notts under Ardley. So desperate to "play the right way" both managers sacrificed attacking intent in order to retain possession and ensure they don't concede. Of course no-one wants to constantly give the opposition the ball but it becomes counter productive. It takes so many passes to get in the other half the opposition has plenty of time to get organised, and the complete lack of tempo ensures they're rarely stretched. I've heard endless compliments for Scotland but really England did their upmost to make the task easier for them. You aren't pressuring the other team when the ball is mostly around the centre circle.

It isn't just England either. Last night with minutes to go and really needing a win Spain are still passing it around the back. I'm not suggesting they had to lump it, but there is a middle ground, you can play in the oppositions half.

I've watched a lot of football over the last year and I'm not surprised we're seeing this style of play in this tournament. Many top teams seem obsessed with ball retention, seemingly determined to bore their opposition into submission. I personally find these matches thoroughly tiresome.

Other teams seem to be able to find the middle ground. They pass it quicker, mix the play and attack in numbers. It really is a matter of mindset. Southgate is like Ardley, defensive minded and pragmatic. Poor managers, or defensive types hide behind the "total football" ethos, when really they're simply afraid of losing.

But the good news is the Euro's have been full of up-tempo attacking football. The perfect example of what Notts should be, and what I believe Burchnall wants us to be. And that's why I am more confident now than I have been for a long time. He knows how to dominate play, and of course how to entertain.
    Can understand this type of defensive play if you are a small fish in a big pond, i can understand scotland playing that way, but England with the better players never should in that game , and neither should Notts in the NL, its down to us to break down poor to mid teams, and win . Every loss or draw to these teams, keeps us in the NL

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Can understand this type of defensive play if you are a small fish in a big pond, i can understand scotland playing that way, but England with the better players never should in that game , and neither should Notts in the NL, its down to us to break down poor to mid teams, and win . Every loss or draw to these teams, keeps us in the NL
    Agree with all of this.

Going down like a sack of **** after a light tap has ruined the competition already for me. Anyone who goes down holding part of their body should activate a VAR review with a straight red if it is blatant as many of them have been so far. I can't even watch a game with my NZ family over here, it is too embarrassing in a country of rugby nuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast