+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Old Brummie Road End.

The Old Brummie Road End.

For me personally there was something incredibly special about the old stand and looking back now, I think it’s one of the things that drew me into supporting Albion.

Although not the largest of home ends, I believe it held 12,500 during the 70’s and 80’s it was a wonderful sight to see it in full flow, especially during floodlit matches.

Little things still stick in the memory such as the old Ansell’s bitter men “If you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em” sign on the roof of the stand and the “Be Safe” sign above the main exit half way up the stand.......in truth it was just about the least safe place to be on earth when we scored if you were stood on the upper third.

I lost count of the number of times I lost my shoes during a “Knees up mother Brown” session, at one match I was completely separated from my white loafers ( it was the 80’s! ) and it must’ve taken 5 minutes to get reunited with both shoes again.

Being crushed against barriers with hundreds of bodies pressing against you was both scary and an adrenaline rush.......absolute madness in reality.

The smell of stale p I s s and tobacco in the ancient toilets was evocative in a perverse sort of way.

During the 70’s the biggest crowd we had was around 41,000 ( yes Mr Peace, that’s 41,000 ) for a night match v Villa which I missed, Bob Ward was in goal and he dived three different directions and still missed Dennis Mortimer’s 30 yarder, we drew 1-1.

A schoolmates dad told me about the days when he’d been in the Brummie Road when we’d had gates in the high 50,000’s in the 1950’s at which it was virtually impossible to move your hand from your sides, people were jammed in so tightly that he reckoned some blokes just p I s s e d where they stood😳

I don’t think a bad job was done when the new stand was built but for those who never experienced the old stand it really is hard to explain just what an atmosphere it generated.

John Motson still rates The Hawthorns as his favourite all time ground and he’s seen a few.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    For me personally there was something incredibly special about the old stand and looking back now, I think it’s one of the things that drew me into supporting Albion.

Although not the largest of home ends, I believe it held 12,500 during the 70’s and 80’s it was a wonderful sight to see it in full flow, especially during floodlit matches.

Little things still stick in the memory such as the old Ansell’s bitter men “If you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em” sign on the roof of the stand and the “Be Safe” sign above the main exit half way up the stand.......in truth it was just about the least safe place to be on earth when we scored if you were stood on the upper third.

I lost count of the number of times I lost my shoes during a “Knees up mother Brown” session, at one match I was completely separated from my white loafers ( it was the 80’s! ) and it must’ve taken 5 minutes to get reunited with both shoes again.

Being crushed against barriers with hundreds of bodies pressing against you was both scary and an adrenaline rush.......absolute madness in reality.

The smell of stale p I s s and tobacco in the ancient toilets was evocative in a perverse sort of way.

During the 70’s the biggest crowd we had was around 41,000 ( yes Mr Peace, that’s 41,000 ) for a night match v Villa which I missed, Bob Ward was in goal and he dived three different directions and still missed Dennis Mortimer’s 30 yarder, we drew 1-1.

A schoolmates dad told me about the days when he’d been in the Brummie Road when we’d had gates in the high 50,000’s in the 1950’s at which it was virtually impossible to move your hand from your sides, people were jammed in so tightly that he reckoned some blokes just p I s s e d where they stood😳

I don’t think a bad job was done when the new stand was built but for those who never experienced the old stand it really is hard to explain just what an atmosphere it generated.

John Motson still rates The Hawthorns as his favourite all time ground and he’s seen a few.
    Yes great days and memories. Over 50,000 for a night match against Man Utd when we won 6-3. One poor guy had a heart attack and died in the crowd. You could get into the stand by going up the terraces at the back of the stand. Sammy getting on the crash barrier and getting the crowd singing. You dare not fall over during a goal celebration as you would have been trampled to death. I loved standing on the terraces back then but I could not do it now as my arthritic back does not let me stand on the same spot for more than a couple of minutes and I have to move about to relieve the pain. There just is not the same atmosphere sitting down for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Yes great days and memories. Over 50,000 for a night match against Man Utd when we won 6-3. One poor guy had a heart attack and died in the crowd. You could get into the stand by going up the terraces at the back of the stand. Sammy getting on the crash barrier and getting the crowd singing. You dare not fall over during a goal celebration as you would have been trampled to death. I loved standing on the terraces back then but I could not do it now as my arthritic back does not let me stand on the same spot for more than a couple of minutes and I have to move about to relieve the pain. There just is not the same atmosphere sitting down for some reason.
    Remember the game well. One of the last to get in before gates closed. We were 3-0 up in next to no time if I remember correctly. I also think that it was 6-1 with little time left and they scored two late goals to make the score more respectable. Could be wrong as it was over fifty years ago. Mind you, crowds of 50,000 plus we're not unusual in the 50's. My first ever game at the Hawthorns was over 50,000 against Wolves 58/59. We won 2-1. Kevan scored winner 3 mins. from time. Campbell scored the first. Oh, to have those days back!

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Remember the game well. One of the last to get in before gates closed. We were 3-0 up in next to no time if I remember correctly. I also think that it was 6-1 with little time left and they scored two late goals to make the score more respectable. Could be wrong as it was over fifty years ago. Mind you, crowds of 50,000 plus we're not unusual in the 50's. My first ever game at the Hawthorns was over 50,000 against Wolves 58/59. We won 2-1. Kevan scored winner 3 mins. from time. Campbell scored the first. Oh, to have those days back!
    Yes you are right, winning 6-1 then a couple of G Best moments of magic and they made it a more respectable score. We had beaten Blues in the semi of the FA Cup on the previous Saturday, then beat Man U in the week and then beat West Ham (I think) on the following Saturday. Today's snowflakes could not manage 3 games in a week let alone win them.

It was great in there in the Swansea play off game the stand shook

I'm sure I was at a 60,000 att v Man U with George Best in the 60's? Maybe not, but I was told that. I was only 8 at the time and I could only see the corner flag. No room to move whatsoever. Later,..Waiting for the match in the Brummie end at least an hour before it started and watching folks arrive as I listened to ABBA blaring from the speakers was one of my great memories. The Johnny walkers sign too. Great club. Deserves much better.

Name:  Albion.johnny walkers.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  59.2 KB

Looks like Ron Yeats for Liverpool if I'm not mistaken.

The ALBION sign lit up at night on the Birmingham Road, love to see it back. I remember when me and me mates would stand at the back and would make an unholy racket kicking the corrugated panels. Then there was the letter scoreboard next to the brummie which we would check avidly at half time against the Albion programme. Getting a drink off the bloke who used to walk the perimeter of the ground with his tray around his neck, just like at the cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

The Villa game wasn't the biggest gate of the seventies but it was the last 40,000 gate ever at the Hawthorns.
    In 1968 I went to the FA Cup 3rd round replay v Colchester on a Wednesday night. 38,000 gate.
    In 2017 the Hawthorns was voted the best in the country in four four two magazine by visiting fan's for modern and atmospheric.
    It's a special place when in full voice.

When did the atmosphere evaporate from the Brummie? It really used to rock, the Smethwick has become the last vestige of anyone with a pulse..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)