+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: We'er going to Torquay

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    VAR is stadium specific not game or competition specific at the moment. England played friendlies at Boro’s ground and there was no VAR as the stadium didn’t have it. A number of FA Cup games live in TV didn’t have it, unless at a Prem stadium.
    I suspect it could have been implemented had the playoff final been played at Wembley.
    I don’t know what the cost of having VAR and maintaining it is. Given that it’s multiple camera angles and goal line tech. I suspect it’s not cheap and knowing the NL they would have made the clubs pay.
    So no point moaning about having it or not. Given what I have witnessed in the Prem it’s use of it is frankly diabolical and I am glad it’s no where near our League.
    Could you just have a video referee without having the full 25 cameras/lines on the pitch version?

Yesterday all it needed was someone in contact with the ref to be watching the BT Sport replays.

VAR just adds an extra layer of controversy and subjective opinion. Anybody who watches MOTD on a regular basis will know it can create far more problems than it solves.

If Notts aren't good enough to go up without the assistance of VAR, then I'm prepared to accept we aren't good enough and get on with the game, exactly as we have done for the past 150 odd years.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Could you just have a video referee without having the full 25 cameras/lines on the pitch version?

Yesterday all it needed was someone in contact with the ref to be watching the BT Sport replays.
    In all honesty that would probably be a better system that VAR. Having a 2nd ref watching the game on a monitor and advising if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post

One of the reasons football didn’t introduce technology earlier was apparently a desire to ensure that the same game was being played from the Sunday league up to the World Cup. A laudable sentiment.

Var has totally changed the game at the top level while the likes of us and Torquay can have seasons ruined by the entirely reasonable deficiencies of refs at our level.

I suppose the answer to your question is that very few games in the NL are televised, so can you have different standards applying to those games to the much larger number of the others?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    One of the reasons football didn’t introduce technology earlier was apparently a desire to ensure that the same game was being played from the Sunday league up to the World Cup. A laudable sentiment.

Var has totally changed the game at the top level while the likes of us and Torquay can have seasons ruined by the entirely reasonable deficiencies of refs at our level.

I suppose the answer to your question is that very few games in the NL are televised, so can you have different standards applying to those games to the much larger number of the others?
    Yep it's a laudible sentiment. It could work for the play off games though, which are all televised, and strictly speaking might be classed as a separate tournament to the NL regular season?

I suppose you'd then have the problem that someone could miss out on promotion/a play off place to a bad decision on the last day of the season, with no VAR.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456