+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever given your unconditional support to any other team than the Toon

Have you ever given your unconditional support to any other team than the Toon

In my youth, it was the Toon first, Gateshead (then in the 3rd Div North), and almost every season within a shout of promotion to the then 2nd Div, now the Fizzy. and remotely England.

Moving away from the North briefly to the Midlands I watched Coventry under Jimmy Hill and West Brom in preference to the other local clubs then in '67 made the move to the South and visited all of the clubs down here with a preference to the then great Spurs with Jimmy Greaves and the great Dave Mackay, they were a different club in those days, a local supporters' club just like us, West ham and also Brentford.

Although the nearest clubs to me now are Palace and Brighton I could never even think of giving them and the other clubs mentioned above what I could call support with feeling. All right to watch and even enjoy a win for them but I could never get anywhere near emotional as I ever was with my hometown clubs.

How does anyone else who has moved away been affected by local clubs? I wonder if it is just an indigenous thing or anything else.

England for me.

When i was little in the early 80s till 86 ish i was a big Heart of Midlothian fan i think i fell in love with their badge and name around 1982 and started supporting them.

I spent some time at school in Stuttgart, went to a few games and am still fond of VfB.

When I came down to London as a student I lived in Ealing and Brentford used to send one player each year to coach our team.
    One year it was Alan Murray, a fellow Geordie.
    My flatmates were all Welsh, so Saturdays we would go to see London Welsh play rugby in Richmond.
    The rugby kicked off early, so on the way back we used to get off the bus at Griffin Park and get in to see the second half of the Bees games for free.
    When I met my now-wife it was a bit weird to learn that her grandad had been groundsman at Brentford.

I have moved around quite a bit and always supported the local team.
    Watford, when I lived in Ruislip and Graham Taylor was bringing them up to the top division.
    Wycombe Wanderers, when I lived in Bucks. Three trips to Wembley with them, all won.
    St Martins when I lived in Guernsey (they played in black and white stripes which helped).

Now I live in Brighton. When I moved here they were in Division One.
    Now they are in the EPL I feel conflicted. Always want them to do just a little bit worse than Newcastle.
    I will always go in the away end when NUFC play at the Amex.
    That year we both went up I was delighted when Brighton conceded a crappy late goal at Villa Park to give NUFC the championship.

Nothing is ever like supporting the lads though.
    When Brighton lose I am disappointed, but it doesn't ruin my weekend.

It's a bit like that with the rugby. I played a bit for Gosforth as a lad and followed the Northumberland county team whenever they played down south after I moved.
    But my daughter is a Wasps fan, so when they played at Wycombe's ground I had a season ticket.
    They were really successful those days, winning the premiership a couple of times and two European trophies.
    I went to all the finals and it was a great feeling, but nothing like the times I went to Twickenham when the Falcons were in their two finals.
    Like watching NUFC, my heart never stopped pounding and I was a jibbering wreck until the final whistle.

You can give another team your support, but it's never the same as when your heart is in Newcastle.

Never supported another team even though my maternal grandfather was a professional footballer and played for Blackpool as well as some lower league clubs.

no never. Half my family are from Liverpool the other half from Newcastle.
    always had them rubbing their success in my face as a child, but the honest truth is,
    i didn't like the way they talked (still don't)
    they were always better than anybody else (even thought they aren't)
    the scousers are underhand thieves and opportunists 1st then a human being 2nd ( only my opinion from interacting with them all my life)

Newcastle always has been a working mans team, a welcoming city, we have a drink with any fans on match day, watch the game and leave in good spirits. We hope to have a good game where the lads give 100%

the scousers expect to win! even 20 years after they won owt

i even want to wipe my hands with a babywipe just from typing about them

I've never supported but I always look out for Cherries and Baggies results as they are grandad and dads teams.

I also like to keep an eye on Shrewsbury town because they were first team I had a brilliant game with on the old Football manager

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post
    no never. Half my family are from Liverpool the other half from Newcastle.
    always had them rubbing their success in my face as a child, but the honest truth is,
    i didn't like the way they talked (still don't)
    they were always better than anybody else (even thought they aren't)
    the scousers are underhand thieves and opportunists 1st then a human being 2nd ( only my opinion from interacting with them all my life)

Newcastle always has been a working mans team, a welcoming city, we have a drink with any fans on match day, watch the game and leave in good spirits. We hope to have a good game where the lads give 100%

the scousers expect to win! even 20 years after they won owt

i even want to wipe my hands with a babywipe just from typing about them
    I flew into Manchester Airport a while back and went to the hire car desk to pick up a car that had been already pre booked. The guy behind the counter was a Scouser with the thickest accent I'd ever heard and I've heard lots. All I had to do was sign the agreement and I would be on my way, big 'kin mistake, the tw@t was taking great delight in making sure I couldn't understand him and did all he could to frustrate me. To make a long story short I ended up going over the counter after him, after being restrained by security his work mates even said he was an Rs hole who had it coming. I've met and worked with some good Scouser's but most were dicks.

No

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    No
    Succinct as ever Zippity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)