+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT- Level Playing Field in Sport.

Why the sudden interest in weightlifting?

I have never know anyone say they are looking forward to staying up late tonight, get a few friends round and open some beers for the Weightlifting World Cup.

My advice is that if it doesn't affect you or anything you are into just ignore it.

It's a big debate here in high schools, the Transgender Divide as they call it, because many States allow anyone who identifies as a 'girl' to compete in girls sports' without any surgery or hormone treatment. Some States have banned anyone who has previously competed in boys' sports switching to girls' sports. Being the US, naturally there are lawsuits involved and constitutional rights being quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Why the sudden interest in weightlifting?

I have never know anyone say they are looking forward to staying up late tonight, get a few friends round and open some beers for the Weightlifting World Cup.

My advice is that if it doesn't affect you or anything you are into just ignore it.
    Is it ironic that the UK's most famous weightlifter was called Precious? Anyone else remember Precious McKenzie? He did also represent New Zealand.

A pretty amazing man actually. Imagine being told you could only represent your country at the Olympics if you agreed to be segregated from their white athletes! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precious_McKenzie
    Last edited by CAMiller; 21-06-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    THIS:

A testosterone-fuelled puberty provides such a large physical advantage in weightlifting that someone can still qualify for the female category at the Olympics at the age of 43 and after breaking their arm.

No hysteria from me. It's simply not right or fair.

I suggest World Athletics and the Olympic movement has a rethink.
    I don't know enough, but intuitively this and the science does seem to suggest the possibility of an unfair advantage here. The relative authorities need to look very carefully and make sure any eligibility follows the science to enure there is no unfair advantage.

There may be errors along the way of what is a tricky situation all around. Getting the balance wrong isn't good for anyone, and empathy to any parties that are going to face unfair hostility or abuse.

Echoes of Russian and Eastern European “ women” shot putters of the 1970s

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Now you're being unfair. They only had hairy armpits to get through the Siberian winter....

......welcome to the Tranny Cup Final soon.................

Bloody el Grist, using the term 'Women' to describe the Russian and Eastern European shot putters of the 1970's is sketchy at best, I dont think the Kray twins would have fancied taking some of them on 🙄. UTM

I was thinking about that too. There were gender questions about the great Russian shot put/discuss Olympian, Tamara Press, in the sixties but that was before official verification was required. Just checked and she was 5’ 11” and weighed just under six**** stone.

Jarmila Kratochvilova Still holds the world record at 800m.

Thought women athletics had moved on since despite drug violations that have tarnished the sport.

Now it seems, if you are a young girl, there’s no point in dedicating your life to the sport in search of greatness. A surgeons knife and a course of medication has potential to transform an average athlete into an olympic champion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast