+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rodrigues player of season

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    He certainly showed he had talent but his influence on games was minimal, hence the term “largely ineffective”. For me the player of the season thing is based on 42+ games, so Ruben wouldn’t make my top three. If he plays all of next season the way he did in the last third of this, he will be a very serious contender next time around.
    Clearly the majority disagree with you on that one ( well the 20% who voted for him anyway).

With a bigger, fitter squad players such as Wootton would probably have been dropped when he went on that horrible run without a goal who is perhaps the natural choice for player of the season and for good reason. Anyway opinions are good to have in a situation like this.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Clearly the majority disagree with you on that one ( well the 20% who voted for him anyway)
    In that case I have to bow to the 20% majority!

It's just great to discussing, debating and arguing over all things Notts

He certainly showed he had talent but his influence on games was minimal, hence the term “largely ineffective”. For me the player of the season thing is based on 42+ games, so Ruben wouldn’t make my top three. If he plays all of next season the way he did in the last third of this, he will be a very serious contender next time around.
    Even during that period 'influence on games was minimal' and 'largely ineffective' does him a great disservice - he was our best player then in many games.

He was absolutely special in the run-in, but the narrative that he didn't play well before then is plain wrong. The award is justified considering the impact of all players across the full season. Sure, RR's impact benefited from a storming end to the season but these awards/findings are accurate I believe - both NCFCOG's statistical analysis and the club's official Player of the Season award.

Rodrigues' play was the highlight of the season and gives us hope for next season, so come on, don't be such a curmudgeon by using the 'Rodrigues Player of the season' recognition thread to say stuff like 'influence on games was minimal' and 'largely ineffective' - celebrate it and enjoy it, even if your pick is different.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Even during that period 'influence on games was minimal' and 'largely ineffective' does him a great disservice - he was our best player then in many games.

He was absolutely special in the run-in, but the narrative that he didn't play well before then is plain wrong. The award is justified considering the impact of all players across the full season. Sure, RR's impact benefited from a storming end to the season but these awards/findings are accurate I believe - both NCFCOG's statistical analysis and the club's official Player of the Season award.

Rodrigues' play was the highlight of the season and gives us hope for next season, so come on, don't be such a curmudgeon by using the 'Rodrigues Player of the season' recognition thread to say stuff like 'influence on games was minimal' and 'largely ineffective' - celebrate it and enjoy it, even if your pick is different.
    It was just my honest opinion, nothing more. He wouldn’t have got my vote, and it seems almost 80% of Notts fans thought the same.

Well done Ruben, you got more votes than any other player.

In that case I have to bow to the 20% majority!
    If I am completely honest when the player of the season thing came out my first thought was " we dont have one" because I did not think we had a stand out player for the entire season. And I still think that to be honest. So I went with the one who offered something different and better for component parts of it and who is also perhaps a confidence player who can give Notts a boost next season if we give them one as well. I thought a bit more deeply about it than you perhaps and more deeply than perhaps I ought to. But anyway here's to Ruben being a 25 goal player for us next season.

I believe that’s called “tripping.” Eumundi Gold is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    I believe that’s called “tripping.” Eumundi Gold is it?
    There is a craft beer Festival on this weekend in Eumundi. Weather permitting i will be there with bells on! So I don't think I will be winning player of the season with the Mrs on Sunday morning

It was just my honest opinion, nothing more. He wouldn’t have got my vote, and it seems almost 80% of Notts fans thought the same.

Well done Ruben, you got more votes than any other player.
    He wouldn't get mine either, how can you win player of the season when you only perform in the last ten or so?
    Slocombe has been the most consistent imo.
    Last edited by i961pie; 24-06-2021 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    There is a craft beer Festival on this weekend in Eumundi. Weather permitting i will be there with bells on! So I don't think I will be winning player of the season with the Mrs on Sunday morning
    I wasn’t referring to beer with the Gold quote.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast