+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eng Vs Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    My god this is tedious. The similarities between how this England team is playing and Ardleyball are more evident with every game. Kane is isolated and we are creating nothing. Slow sideways and backwards passing until one of the defenders lumps it forward and loses possession. How can we make such quick and dangerous players look so toothless.

This tournament is a damp squib for me. It has no heart and the quality has been generally poor. It needs to take place in one country IMO. I've found myself turning games off.
    Uh... I'm sitting on the fence here. I don't think England are anything like as bad as some of the antis / ultra pessimists are stating. But are we real contenders? Hmmm... we will soon see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    Uh... I'm sitting on the fence here. I don't think England are anything like as bad as some of the antis / ultra pessimists are stating. But are we real contenders? Hmmm... we will soon see.
    I didn’t think England were actually bad, just lacking in ideas and movement forward. Kyle Walker seemed especially as negative as anyone who had read “How to play in your sleep” by Neal “Magic” Ardley.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    I didn’t think England were actually bad, just lacking in ideas and movement forward. Kyle Walker seemed especially as negative as anyone who had read “How to play in your sleep” by Neal “Magic” Ardley.
    Oh ffs this is nothing to do with Ardley. England won the group, conceded 0, showed some real attacking threat at times, hit the post early in all three games, got most of the key members of the squad on the pitch for significant game time, have other real game changer players like Sancho and Calvert-Lewin who’ve hardly played, but let’s pull out a few negatives. Notts fans all over!!

I don’t think we’ll win it but I think we’ve a lot to be positive about - sorry if that does not fit the NCM agenda.

PS. No I’m not on a mission!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    It’s like people have never watched a major tournament before. France won the last World Cup after a group stage of two narrow wins over Australia and Peru, and a goalless draw with Denmark. Portugal won the last Euros after draws in the group stage with Hungary, Austria and Iceland. Germany the World Cup before that after a group stage draw with Ghana and 1-0 win over the USA. It’s the same for every single one you look at.

England are dull and pragmatic. They’re no more dull or pragmatic than any winner of a tournament in the last 20 years.
    But then France, Portugal and Germany all improved dramatically after the group stage.

I hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see us doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    But then France, Portugal and Germany all improved dramatically after the group stage.

I hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see us doing the same.
    Not even sure they all did to be honest. Portugal won their next two 1-0 after extra time and on penalties after a 0-0 draw. Germany deserved to be knocked out by Algeria and scraped through after extra time.

Tournament football you need to be defensively solid, a threat on the counter and have a bit of luck. England have got the first two I think, who knows about the third.

Not even sure they all did to be honest. Portugal won their next two 1-0 after extra time and on penalties after a 0-0 draw. Germany deserved to be knocked out by Algeria and scraped through after extra time.

Tournament football you need to be defensively solid, a threat on the counter and have a bit of luck. England have got the first two I think, who knows about the third.
    I think in addition to those qualities you also need belief and a winning mentality.

I don’t see us as having either.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think in addition to those qualities you also need belief and a winning mentality.

I don’t see us as having either.
    I probably agree, but that comes from us being the only nation who would be having this kind of conversation after winning the group stage at a major tournament without conceding a goal.

It’s like people have never watched a major tournament before. France won the last World Cup after a group stage of two narrow wins over Australia and Peru, and a goalless draw with Denmark. Portugal won the last Euros after draws in the group stage with Hungary, Austria and Iceland. Germany the World Cup before that after a group stage draw with Ghana and 1-0 win over the USA. It’s the same for every single one you look at.

England are dull and pragmatic. They’re no more dull or pragmatic than any winner of a tournament in the last 20 years.

Totally bang on Jacob. International football is about extremely fine margins.

In 2016, Portugal won the Euros. People forget that they DREW their 3 group games, then proceeded to draw their next 2 knockout games, only to be victorious on pens. If memory serves me right, the Portugese only won 1 game in 90 minutes in the whole tournament.

Let's have a think about that eh?

I probably agree, but that comes from us being the only nation who would be having this kind of conversation after winning the group stage at a major tournament without conceding a goal.
    It's still bloody boring to watch. Modern football bears no comparison to the 60's and 70's. Try watching the 1966 /1970/1974 games for entertainment.

You make fair points Jacob. The teams that come flying out of the blocks at international tournaments are usually not the ones who win them, and conserving energy and not conceding goals is very important, especially after the group stages.

I think the scepticism comes from years of underachievement, which makes people just want to be reassured by seeing us play well rather than be efficient, and from the disappointing performance against Scotland in a match we could have lost. Apart from that you can't really argue with two 1-0 wins against decent opposition.

Looks like we'll get a big team in the next round, so we'll probably see a different, more exciting kind of game with more space in behind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast