+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland's Euro campaign summed up

Scotland's Euro campaign summed up

Heard some commentator or other before the Croatia game saying history as about to be made as Scotland qualified for the knockout stages of a tournament for the first time - what a diddy. Scotland were never likely to beat a side of Croatia's quality with the standard of player available.

They battled well against England but were never really beating them.

The media declared they played well against Czech Republic but just couldn't finish the chances they created. Well no wonder with Dykes and Adams up front.

Scotland were never getting through that group because their first choice strikers should be nowhere near international football, they have no decent centre halves and only one midfielder is actually a footballer. The keeper saved a penalty to get them into the finals but that doesn't make him a world class keeper - ask the Czech Republic about that one.

You have to wonder at the media and the commentators whipping up the gullible tartan clad 'army' into a frenzy before inevitable defeat - they can't even call it glorious failure this time because that campaign was anything but glorious, it was just a total failure.

Apologies for bringing football up on this forum - Islay will be raging.

Totally agree with Deeranged, we were outclassed, their passing and movement were superior, despite many of our players playing in English leagues.
    We are lumping high balls into the box , and using Dykes as a target man, Christ we were doing that when Joe Jordan was playing !

We still have the same problems as we had in 1974, we can't score goals

Regarding scoring goals, think that will continue for some time, especially in Scotland, where managers are obsessed with keeping clean sheets.

Graeme Souness summed it up perfectly.

A pity it didn't work out but the difference in playing England and playing Croatia was very noticeable. Croats kept away from Tierney and Robertson's side of the pitch and I don't think I have seen them have such a quiet game.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Heard some commentator or other before the Croatia game saying history as about to be made as Scotland qualified for the knockout stages of a tournament for the first time - what a diddy. Scotland were never likely to beat a side of Croatia's quality with the standard of player available.

They battled well against England but were never really beating them.

The media declared they played well against Czech Republic but just couldn't finish the chances they created. Well no wonder with Dykes and Adams up front.

Scotland were never getting through that group because their first choice strikers should be nowhere near international football, they have no decent centre halves and only one midfielder is actually a footballer. The keeper saved a penalty to get them into the finals but that doesn't make him a world class keeper - ask the Czech Republic about that one.

You have to wonder at the media and the commentators whipping up the gullible tartan clad 'army' into a frenzy before inevitable defeat - they can't even call it glorious failure this time because that campaign was anything but glorious, it was just a total failure.

Apologies for bringing football up on this forum - Islay will be raging.
    It is nice to have a discussion about football instead of politics. I am surprised that there have been no topics on this forum about the players we have signed during the close season and the Dundee players last Monday returning to training for this season only four weeks after the final play off game against Kilmarnock on 24th May 2021.
    No long summer holidays for the Scottish professional footballers nowadays.
    When it was a 34 games league the season used to finish on the last Saturday in April with the Scottish Cup Final the following Saturday.
    From memory pre season training for the next season did not commence until the beginning of July giving the players a two month break from training.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    A pity it didn't work out but the difference in playing England and playing Croatia was very noticeable. Croats kept away from Tierney and Robertson's side of the pitch and I don't think I have seen them have such a quiet game.
    I still believe if the Scottish football team are going to win matches they are going to play our own ‘up and at them’ tactics. There is no point in us trying to pass the ball about the pitch as we do not have the players to play this style of football.
    We should be getting ‘stuck in’ to opposing players and hounding them.
    Last night the Croatian players were passing the ball all over the pitch with quick breakaways.
    Last night it was a pity that we did not score the first goal as it might have rattled the Croat players.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    Graeme Souness summed it up perfectly.
    What did he say?

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    What did he say?
    We are still trying to play football from a different era, punting high balls. Was critical of back 3 for not passing out of defence enough and just going long. Also said Clarke shuda changed it 10 mins into 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    We are still trying to play football from a different era, punting high balls. Was critical of back 3 for not passing out of defence enough and just going long. Also said Clarke shuda changed it 10 mins into 2nd half.
    Can’t disagree but look at the players, defensively against the czechs dykes lost his guy for first goal. Second goal a calamity.

Last night first goal, again lost a header then didn’t get to the ball. Second goal nobody stops but they had the possession forever, third goal a very poor goal for a Scottish defence to lose. 4 preventable goals from 5 is hard to accept, teams gift us very little.

I felt over the three games mctominay at the back is nuts, O’Donnell is a decent Motherwell player and with any combo of Hanley, McKenna or Henry we’ve a lack of pace and big game experience.

As for the souness he was a great player and I like how he talks but he was involved in Scotland calamities too!

Although I don't want them to lose.....glad it's over.....can't stand the bull**** around the international team now......I think it's very political.

Croatia outclassed them last night, 2nd was on cards just before Scotland equalised

Marshall suspect 3rd goal, whole defence didn't play well, I think some of our better players overrated.

Adam and Armstrong particularly poor last night.

They are better than they were over the last Cple of decades but they need another player or two of real quality.....and playing at hampden does them no favours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)