+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Declan Rice

Declan Rice

I used to think with this guy i was just looking at him through Leeds tinted goggles and I didn't watch west ham so he must be worth the 80m + they all talk about, he must be the undroppable England player they all say he is.

But after 3 games I honest to god cannot see what he does better than Phillips. Whenever he gets the ball it takes him 5/6 seconds to bumble about with it before he eventually passes it backwards to a centre back or sideways to a full back.

Defensively he never seems to break up play very well, when he does make a tackle it is clumsy and messy.

He has a good attitude, is young and will develop but anyone saying he is better in that role than Phillips is deluded, when Kalvin was there in second half at least he tried to hit long balls to wingers and get us going forward whenever he could.

Am I off on this?

Also- Mason Mount, can someone get him to go hug a COVID positive player again please so we can have someone who actually attacks and runs with the ball forward for rest of tournament. Grealish did more in 10 minutes going forward than Mount has done in 2 games

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    I used to think with this guy i was just looking at him through Leeds tinted goggles and I didn't watch west ham so he must be worth the 80m + they all talk about, he must be the undroppable England player they all say he is.

But after 3 games I honest to god cannot see what he does better than Phillips. Whenever he gets the ball it takes him 5/6 seconds to bumble about with it before he eventually passes it backwards to a centre back or sideways to a full back.

Defensively he never seems to break up play very well, when he does make a tackle it is clumsy and messy.

He has a good attitude, is young and will develop but anyone saying he is better in that role than Phillips is deluded, when Kalvin was there in second half at least he tried to hit long balls to wingers and get us going forward whenever he could.

Am I off on this?

Also- Mason Mount, can someone get him to go hug a COVID positive player again please so we can have someone who actually attacks and runs with the ball forward for rest of tournament. Grealish did more in 10 minutes going forward than Mount has done in 2 games
    Agree 100% on the Rice vs Phillips point, no idea why the Spam guy gets so much attention.

also, although it pains me to say it, I thought Grealish was very good last night (but still managed some very "artistic" performances when tackled!)

Think Rice is good and plays really well for West Ham. Also when it was either or with Rice and Phillips think Rice played well in the pre Euros games.

Wonder if it is the instructions they are both being given leading to confusion as KP played loads better when Henderson came on.

Think Rice is great when he is allowed to drive forward with the ball but seen little of that in the Euros.

Also wonder what Samcho has done wrong - he tore up the German league and hasn’t seen a single minute in the Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Think Rice is good and plays really well for West Ham. Also when it was either or with Rice and Phillips think Rice played well in the pre Euros games.

Wonder if it is the instructions they are both being given leading to confusion as KP played loads better when Henderson came on.

Think Rice is great when he is allowed to drive forward with the ball but seen little of that in the Euros.

Also wonder what Samcho has done wrong - he tore up the German league and hasn’t seen a single minute in the Euros.
    Henderson was ****ing ass as well, played two good passes but was an absolute passenger the rest of the time.

Apparently Southgate and team believe defensive football is likely to be more successful based on analysis of the last 30 major tournaments - Yeeeee ha way to go

Joel, your eyes don't deceive you. Phillips is better.

Rice could not go at the pace that MB demands. He would fade much faster than Phillips as the game went on at the pace we play.

One of the reasons he played every minute of the tourney.

Think Rice is very talented though. He and Phillips seem to get along too.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)