+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnsley fan

Barnsley fan

I sincerely wish you the best of luck next season

There’ll be a lot mentioned about Big val’s style of football . Let me just say I for one thought it was a breathe of fresh air. Going into games home and away with an air of confidence . We were no nonsense- let’s be fair on recent England performances what would you rather have ? 20 passes or where 2 or 3 will suffice?

What I will say is everyone knew there jobs and it wasn’t so much that sides played the same as us to counter us- sides played our way because big val didn’t let their defence settle and take 20 passes around the back line because they had someone up their ar$e. This meant they had to boot it clear

Look at the games against Brentford and Bournemouth away - long ball? I think not , if teams gave us a chance to play we did.

This manager is a gem and will not only get you promoted but get you to another level as he will have the tools at his disposal and the budgets to match

Disappointed yes, but understandable . Bigger club , bigger budget and bigger pulling power. I genuinely hope we are celebrating big val getting you promoted at the end of the season - with us taking the runners up spot !

What a refreshing post from an opposing fan.

Good luck to your lot next season and please be assured that whatever miracle the new manager might create with us next season we will of course roll over and die at Oakwell as per normal 😏👍🏻

Thanks renno buddy. Indeed. I’m already feeling positive and quite like the idea of him bringing his team captain with him.
    Are your central defenders any good ? !

Thanks Reno, Barnsley is a proper club with proper supporters I really do wish you all the best for next season and quite fancy an away day up at Oakwell.

good post Reno, good luck to your boys too this season, after seeing the moneybag vids it seems that you should be able to line up a replacement as you have a good framework in place, hopefully we can try and replicate something similar, but I fear we may get a few hiccups first before finding the way

Cheers, its only football at the end of the day - we've all got our own jobs to be cracking on with - it just makes the rinses taste better before and after a game if the teams doing well

Big Val always played 3-4-3 - and a proper 3-4-3! When he makes substitutions it stays at 3-4-3!

On the CB front Mads Anderson and Michel Helik (this bloke especially- and has been on the bench for Poland in Euro's) are good defenders - Helik for me will easily make the step up to PL, Anderson would need time.

Mowatt added a few goals to his game for the first time in a while - I think he's a good player at this level but for me lacks abit of pace to go on at the top level.

VI is no nonsense on all fronts - players who he felt havent bought into his theory and style have been moved on.

Like he said around the play offs time - winning games makes you ***y - he was proven right!!

Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post
    Cheers, its only football at the end of the day - we've all got our own jobs to be cracking on with - it just makes the rinses taste better before and after a game if the teams doing well

Big Val always played 3-4-3 - and a proper 3-4-3! When he makes substitutions it stays at 3-4-3!

On the CB front Mads Anderson and Michel Helik (this bloke especially- and has been on the bench for Poland in Euro's) are good defenders - Helik for me will easily make the step up to PL, Anderson would need time.

Mowatt added a few goals to his game for the first time in a while - I think he's a good player at this level but for me lacks abit of pace to go on at the top level.

VI is no nonsense on all fronts - players who he felt havent bought into his theory and style have been moved on.

Like he said around the play offs time - winning games makes you ***y - he was proven right!!
    It's so refreshing to be able to discuss matters with the opposition in a civilised manner although we have had conversation with other Barnsley fans in the same polite way. I'm not so sure that we'd be so understanding if we lost our manager plus talk of other players also joining him. Anyway, from what you say about Ismael, he appears to be the 'no nonsense' type that we require. Many fans, including myself, have maintained that our fitness levels leave a lot to be desired. From what you say, he also seems to have a plan and will stick to his principals and that players either buy into it or they're off. An admirable trait. Personally, I wasn't convinced at first but the more I've gleaned from Barnsley fans, the more I feel that we have made the correct decision. Let's hope that he can be as successful with us as he has been with you and hope that you find a good replacement. Best of luck, but naturally not on the two occasions when we meet!

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    It's so refreshing to be able to discuss matters with the opposition in a civilised manner although we have had conversation with other Barnsley fans in the same polite way. I'm not so sure that we'd be so understanding if we lost our manager plus talk of other players also joining him. Anyway, from what you say about Ismael, he appears to be the 'no nonsense' type that we require. Many fans, including myself, have maintained that our fitness levels leave a lot to be desired. From what you say, he also seems to have a plan and will stick to his principals and that players either buy into it or they're off. An admirable trait. Personally, I wasn't convinced at first but the more I've gleaned from Barnsley fans, the more I feel that we have made the correct decision. Let's hope that he can be as successful with us as he has been with you and hope that you find a good replacement. Best of luck, but naturally not on the two occasions when we meet!
    Its how football should be to be fair - the problem with fans of alot of clubs (us firmly included) is that they don't know their place in the pecking order! Ive been watching us for 38 years (of my 43 crawling the planet) and we are a feeder club. As long as whoever comes in, does there bit and looks like they're bothered then thats all I ask as a fan. We have historically either had players on their way up or way down (We've done away with the way down ones because of the business model). They are naturally going to get picked off by the bigger clubs - as you have with VI! Lets be fair, if they're young and up for it and do us a good turn, get their big 4 years contracts waved under their noses, then they're set for life. Would any of us turn down a job guarantee for 4 years on 4 times the wage for the same job with no pitfall?

With VI he strikes me as an ambitious bloke and money probably isnt his driver as he had pretty decent playing career so probably aint short of a few quid. I think he wants to achieve bigger things and dare I say it - you might be the next stepping stone to a whats currently a top 6 club-no offence was meant with that either. But if he gets you up, established you in the PL then he's done you a good turn and served a purpose to everybody.

I think with the PL there's too many journeymen who just go from club to club in the bottom 6 and don't really have the desire that fans want to see - Big Val will get rid of that!!

What a refreshing thread. Cheers Renno for your insight. As you and others have said on this thread, it is good to see fans of clubs getting on rather than arguing over silly petty things. Best wishes to you and your Barnsley team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)