+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elland Road redevelopment - any opinions or memories of the Old stands ?

Elland Road redevelopment - any opinions or memories of the Old stands ?

So,the Elland Road 55,000 seater development ideas now seem to be in place after listening to various supporter groups opinions that had been consulted.
    The Kop, aka the Gelderd End,North Stand or Revie stand appears by overwhelming majority to be wanting to being made bigger as a single tier stand to resemble the famous Dortmand Wall stand of Borussia Dortmund.An opinion I voted for.

The West a Stand/John Charles stand will house all the extra corporate seating pods with a new press centre and new fancy PL standard players dug outs with heated seats for all squads bums to sit on - but no news on Bielsas bucket as of yet regarding heating of it.Not sure where that leaves my present seat if they also decide to move the players tunnel to the centre/halfway line for the new players dressing room

Contractors being decided & maybe corporate sponsored naming rights to come !

Opinions anyone - personally hope South Stand stays as it is as it'll keep Elland Road a quirky & traditional kind of acoustic sounding ground not like the modern soulless "bowl" types of grounds that have been all the rage everywhere with no atmosphere.
    Many of which require several weeks notice to get permission to hang our flags up when we visit which is a pain to organise.

Will always remember my first trip to Elland Road as a kid the Revie Stand (as now named) seemed to tower over everything and be so big and noisy.

Remember how scary the place could be in the 198s and how it had a feel of decay often matched by the efforts on the pitch and parts of the city centre - dirty Leeds could have described the buildings and infrastructure.

Have a lot of fond memories of the West Stand and the 100 club.

Never much liked the South Stand always seemed to be a compromise due to lack of space. The corner between the West and South stands is just wrong.

Remember before the East Stand going up how away fans used to get soaked when it rained and a Chelsea game where their fans jumped up and down going Boing for most of the game.

Whatever they end up delivering I just hope it is impressive and inspiring. Hope the West stand and South stand get torn down and replaced with something modern, comfortable and atmospheric.

If they can replicate the hospitality areas at the Emirates then they won’t be going far wrong.

Would be nice if they could build an extra 3000 to 5000 seats to give away to key workers and schools for those that struggle to afford to attend. That truly would be connecting back to the community.

My first visit to the ground was in 1993 aged 8 to see Chelsea which we won 4-0 - was a kid living in SE London back then and Palace ruled our playground.

Funny how some folks don't like the South Stand/Norman Hunter stand.Some Civil Engineer bothered to send in plans for a cut- price refurb of it for Angus based on the Railway away end at Birmingham City known now as the Gill Merrick stand which Leeds fans in picture fill the lower seats with flags on top tier.

For some on here not familiar with the space around Elland Road presently our South stand sits tightly next to a road and one way to accommodate this issue is to build upwards as at Birmingham's ground next to the railway which creates a tremendous atmosphere as their main vocal support comes from their main stand at the side.

Hopefully they put some seats in with some legroom - only ground I have been to in this country with sufficient room for me is MK Dons, I normally have my knees either side of the head of the person in front of me, lol

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    Hopefully they put some seats in with some legroom - only ground I have been to in this country with sufficient room for me is MK Dons, I normally have my knees either side of the head of the person in front of me, lol
    Legroom ?

Number 1 request was for the introduction of "Rail Seats" at Elland Road (as in the Dortmund Wall) for the Kop end - even Manchester Utd have got them in now - so loads of room for you mate.

Being an old fart, one of my first games was in August 1965 against Sunderland, my brother and I used to go onto the Lowerfields road stand, back then the old scratching shed was where the die hard fans went, and the "Kop" was just a huge open bank - rained on all the time...

Happy days back when all fans stood to watch the games, and I had an orange crate and a rattle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Legroom ?

Number 1 request was for the introduction of "Rail Seats" at Elland Road (as in the Dortmund Wall) for the Kop end - even Manchester Utd have got them in now - so loads of room for you mate.
    Just looked them up, I think there will be a lot of requests for me to keep seated, at 6' 8" and a bit I am not the best person to be behind

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    Just looked them up, I think there will be a lot of requests for me to keep seated, at 6' 8" and a bit I am not the best person to be behind
    Hells bells 6'8"
    My Dads 6'7" and he always try's to sit on the row ends with his size 11's in the aisle.

Milton Keynes stadium is very cleverly designed and also liked going there for away games in the wilderness years

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Milton Keynes stadium is very cleverly designed and also liked going there for away games in the wilderness years
    I sat through a whole game quite comfortably at MK - new stadium though a lot of grounds were built when people were a lot smaller; same problem with classic cars :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)