+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you see for Utd in 21/22

Never seen such negativity coming into a new season before, reminds me of the season we started with Csaba in charge.

As much as Courts wasn't my choice to replace Mellon, He gets my full support. The early indications look decent without being over the top optimistic. So this is my thoughts on Courts since he's came in.

Signings-
    So far the 2 signings we've made are both decent. Carson will be a good replacement for Benji if he goes. Mulgrew I think will be a quality player for us this season if he stays injury free. Edwards signing an extension is massive as he was a key player for us last season but it's also a confidence booster to Courts because everyone (myself included) thought he was away back down south. The real test will be if Benji or Shankland goes in this window and how we deal with that. We are still light in a few positions so hopefully we can get a few in the door in the next week or so then I think that will get make fans more optimistic about the season.

League Cup-
    3 games v lower league opposition so we would be expecting 3 wins. Kelty wasn't a great performance but got the job done. Elgin was impressive as we played decent stuff for the first time god knows how long. Arbroath was a tough watch but still got the job done. These were the sort of games we messed up in previous campaigns. First time qualifying from the group since Ray did it in 2017 so an early positive for Courts.

Squad-
    Still light in the attacking areas of more quality experienced players but feel we are 2/3 away from going with what we have depending on anyone leaving. Don't think we are as desperate for as many players as people say. Attacking/creative players are definitely required to help out the younger guys but Everywhere else is ok i think. The way Courts has set us up in the cup games suggests he is trying to find a system to suit the players at his disposal which has already shown slight improvements from last season.

Expectations/ambitions?
    I expect us to kick on from last season. Mellon done the job required but the football we played was poor and didn't enjoy many games last season. If courts can get a good combination of winning games and by playing decent stuff then I can see us having a decent season with some enjoyable games. Our start is tricky so Courts will be under pressure early doors. Pull out a decent couple of early results then we can have a good season but start badly and the writing could be on the wall for TC and TA. An early derby could be a big one!

My prediction-
    Currently I think we have enough about us to be safe again but I feel similar to last season but if we could get those quality additions in then it might squeeze us up the league a few positions. I'd say we would be 7th with the signings pushing us to 5th/6th.

Time will tell.

Time will tell Daz, I don't think there is negativity about the new season, I am fully behind the team on the pitch, I am concerned about TC's lack of experience but will fully support him and the coaches.
    I believe the negative element you refer to are also of the same thought but simply don't trust TA .
    To me he appears sleekit and sly and a my way or else type of bloke, gambling on the future of the club.
    Put simply, knowing a person who owns a plane company and convincing them to let you run it when you have only ever been a passenger is a gamble.
    As a loyal paying passenger and potentially in for a stormy bumpy ride, I know I won't be able to clearly see what's going on, but I'd rather have a qualified pilot flying the plane, one who communicates openly with passengers and gives updates during the journey about the direction we're going in and when we'll reach the destination.
    I'll admit I'm worried about the plane crashing,

But if he turns out to be wily and smart and this model works then happy days,
    At this stage I will defer from any more comments about TA and concentrate my efforts on supporting the lads.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    well if you can go back 3 pages on the Transfer thread FT Fun has a guess and its confirmed.Either that or go on FunMad as Noah has his own thread on it.
    Any idea what he failed the medical on? He was out the 2nd half of the season for Well last season but said in his interview he was "fit and ready to go"

Did he fail on something that they knew was on the mend? Did he fail on something that looks like it could be a career ender if it goes? Was his contract altered so that if he was injured and unavailable for selection he doesn't get paid?

And what was NA's gripe with it in terms of how it affects him? If it was purely his own professionalism then fair enough but maybe he was being asked to alter his training methods or accept that Carson might not train every day with the GKs?

I get that you might not know the answers to these, I'm just throwing my thoughts out there.

Seems a disappointing way to let things play out. Carson said it was only a couple of days before he signed that he found out about interest. Was this a panic buy as Benji had kicked off about wanting to leave? Is he there to be a solid no2 to allow Newman out on loan and even if Benji does go we'd look at bring someone else in to play as no.1 with Carson there again as backup?

It could literally be any of these things or it could be none of them. I have nae clue tbh. If Benji stays for the season then we have no issues and for me that is all that matters. Keep him and we are in a much better place.

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    Time will tell Daz, I don't think there is negativity about the new season, I am fully behind the team on the pitch, I am concerned about TC's lack of experience but will fully support him and the coaches.
    I believe the negative element you refer to are also of the same thought but simply don't trust TA .
    To me he appears sleekit and sly and a my way or else type of bloke, gambling on the future of the club.
    Put simply, knowing a person who owns a plane company and convincing them to let you run it when you have only ever been a passenger is a gamble.
    As a loyal paying passenger and potentially in for a stormy bumpy ride, I know I won't be able to clearly see what's going on, but I'd rather have a qualified pilot flying the plane, one who communicates openly with passengers and gives updates during the journey about the direction we're going in and when we'll reach the destination.
    I'll admit I'm worried about the plane crashing,

But if he turns out to be wily and smart and this model works then happy days,
    At this stage I will defer from any more comments about TA and concentrate my efforts on supporting the lads.
    Good post. And to Darren I would say there's a difference between negativity and realism.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Any idea what he failed the medical on? He was out the 2nd half of the season for Well last season but said in his interview he was "fit and ready to go"

Did he fail on something that they knew was on the mend? Did he fail on something that looks like it could be a career ender if it goes? Was his contract altered so that if he was injured and unavailable for selection he doesn't get paid?

And what was NA's gripe with it in terms of how it affects him? If it was purely his own professionalism then fair enough but maybe he was being asked to alter his training methods or accept that Carson might not train every day with the GKs?

I get that you might not know the answers to these, I'm just throwing my thoughts out there.

Seems a disappointing way to let things play out. Carson said it was only a couple of days before he signed that he found out about interest. Was this a panic buy as Benji had kicked off about wanting to leave? Is he there to be a solid no2 to allow Newman out on loan and even if Benji does go we'd look at bring someone else in to play as no.1 with Carson there again as backup?

It could literally be any of these things or it could be none of them. I have nae clue tbh. If Benji stays for the season then we have no issues and for me that is all that matters. Keep him and we are in a much better place.
    I'm assuming its the knee injury that kept him out for part of last season. I would assume (and I'm only assuming) that he is fit to play if needed, but there might be a long term issue with the knee. A similar thing was picked up when Rangers did a medical on Craig Gordon and they didn't sign him. Celtic then took the risk and he played 150 games for them.

I'm also assuming (and I can't focus harder on assuming) that when this was picked up in the medical, that there would be some sort of release clause (if that is the right term) in the contract that protects us if his knee does explode 3 months into a 2 year contract.

A lot of assumptions in one post!

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Good post. And to Darren I would say there's a difference between negativity and realism.
    I understand the questions regarding the running of the club, we are all passionate about the club and all want the best but some of the over the top comments I've seen since Courts came in is tiresome. The same nonsense that just gets annoying. In fairness most of these comments have been on social media rather than on this but I just hate it when you see fans turn anything the club does and turn it into a negative. I think anyone who knows football will be realistic that we will be fairly similar to last season with the current squad but that would depend on who leaves or if quality players come in to improve the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post

No mate sorry i have no idea and the following is a guess only but it may hold some substance.I think there was a good relationship between Tam and Neil and the latter recommended Rogers coming in for a trial which Tam agreed to.
    A decision was made by either The Bandit or Tam that Rodgers was not good enough to be our NO1 if Benji was sold and they signed Carson instead.IF it is true that Carson failed his medical which as far as i know is correct then Alexander already miffed that his choice of Keeper has been rejected goes FN mental when he is told Tam and The Bandit think an unfit keeper is a better bet than his man.
    To me my thinking makes perfect sense and i can see where Alexander is coming from calling them unprofessional for signing a keeper after failing his medical however i also think Alexander was bang out of order recommending a keeper to Tam when he was as culpable as any other player for Killie's relegation.
    If my scenario above is correct i'm backing Tam over Alexander so it would be appreciated if people accept i only want the best for United and not every post i deliver is negative.

If we do not make any additions to the squad and either Benji or LOA are sold then i reckon we are in a massive relegation battle with The Funsters,Ross County and possibly Livingston.
    If we make no further signing's but lose no one then i think we will probably survive.Its Groundhog day though because next season the two players i have mentioned will most probably be away and our struggles continue.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    I understand the questions regarding the running of the club, we are all passionate about the club and all want the best but some of the over the top comments I've seen since Courts came in is tiresome. The same nonsense that just gets annoying. In fairness most of these comments have been on social media rather than on this but I just hate it when you see fans turn anything the club does and turn it into a negative. I think anyone who knows football will be realistic that we will be fairly similar to last season with the current squad but that would depend on who leaves or if quality players come in to improve the squad.
    Ref your last sentence, I disagree. I think anyone who knows football knows
    1 the league has strengthened in relation to last season
    2 we have a weakened strike force
    3 our keeper single handed kept us out of a relegation scrap
    4 last season we had a manager who knew how to grind out results at v ital times
    5 this season very much uncharted for a new manager

So to say that as things stand we will be fairly similar to last year is likely to be wrong. Again, not trying to be negative for the sake of it, just being realistically concerned for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Ref your last sentence, I disagree. I think anyone who knows football knows
    1 the league has strengthened in relation to last season
    2 we have a weakened strike force
    3 our keeper single handed kept us out of a relegation scrap
    4 last season we had a manager who knew how to grind out results at v ital times
    5 this season very much uncharted for a new manager

So to say that as things stand we will be fairly similar to last year is likely to be wrong. Again, not trying to be negative for the sake of it, just being realistically concerned for the club.
    Agree with a lot of this and I am a bit concerned. We need a good start.

If we have shanks and Benji for the full season then we should stay up but I am expecting bottom 6

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)