+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you see for Utd in 21/22

The league is considered to be stronger but that's only because its two more established who came up from the Championship.

The majority of the league will be hit or miss. Take away the old firm because they two are always up at the top and would take a miracle for someone else to split them.

Hibs- Look on paper the strongest but could still lose a few key players (nisbett, Doig or Porteous) Probably the safest bet for top 6 but how high up will depend on who else is challenging them for 3rd/4th

Aberdeen- Big changes happened and a new rookie manager similar to us. High expectations and pressure due to how good McInnes done. A few of their non-british based players could be hit or miss so that will depend on how there season goes. European games will be a good gauge on where they are at.

Hearts- Just promoted but will be expected to be in and around the top 4. Typical Neilson team which weren't exactly entertaining to watch but were effective. Not made as many signings as I thought they would so would be interesting to see how they deal with coming up a division. High pressure as well.

Motherwell- Lost a few key players (Campbell, Cole and Gallagher) Not really sure what to expect from them this season. Not totally impressed by Alexander but his record was decent last season when he came in.

Livingston- Top 6 last two seasons. A purple patch during the middle of the season was were they impressed but the start and end of the season they were poor. Big season for Martindale to see if the honeymoon period is over or if he is the real deal. I would suspect bottom 6 for them.

St Johnstone- Unbelievable achievement last season but surely they wont be able to replicate that? Could depend on if they lose many of their cup winning players. IF they keep them, they could be a dark horse for top 4. If they lose them then could be a struggle

Ross County- Big turnover from County, New manager, already out of cup due to Covid. Really don't know what to expect from them? Probably most peoples faves for relegation.

St Mirren- I actually think they have recruited fairly well for what they need. Got a steady squad and will be looking to improve on last season. I can see them getting top 6 this time around tbh.

Dundee- Not as many signings as they probably should have imo but with Adam they have a player which most teams would love to have. If they can keep the back door shut they probably have decent enough attacking players to keep them save enough. (I think they will comfortably stay up this season for some reason)

So it leaves us with United
    Pretty much same team but different manager. If we can survive the tricky start with a decent points total then I'm confident we can have a decent season but if we have a nightmare start coupled with the fact we have a rookie manager then writing could be on the wall very early. Signings in the next 10 days will be crucial imo

10th at best.

Looking at the squads I honestly only see 3/4 teams I would say would be guaranteed to finish above us. The rest of the league is too similar. Much of a muchness.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    The league is considered to be stronger but that's only because its two more established who came up from the Championship.

The majority of the league will be hit or miss. Take away the old firm because they two are always up at the top and would take a miracle for someone else to split them.

Hibs- Look on paper the strongest but could still lose a few key players (nisbett, Doig or Porteous) Probably the safest bet for top 6 but how high up will depend on who else is challenging them for 3rd/4th

Aberdeen- Big changes happened and a new rookie manager similar to us. High expectations and pressure due to how good McInnes done. A few of their non-british based players could be hit or miss so that will depend on how there season goes. European games will be a good gauge on where they are at.

Hearts- Just promoted but will be expected to be in and around the top 4. Typical Neilson team which weren't exactly entertaining to watch but were effective. Not made as many signings as I thought they would so would be interesting to see how they deal with coming up a division. High pressure as well.

Motherwell- Lost a few key players (Campbell, Cole and Gallagher) Not really sure what to expect from them this season. Not totally impressed by Alexander but his record was decent last season when he came in.

Livingston- Top 6 last two seasons. A purple patch during the middle of the season was were they impressed but the start and end of the season they were poor. Big season for Martindale to see if the honeymoon period is over or if he is the real deal. I would suspect bottom 6 for them.

St Johnstone- Unbelievable achievement last season but surely they wont be able to replicate that? Could depend on if they lose many of their cup winning players. IF they keep them, they could be a dark horse for top 4. If they lose them then could be a struggle

Ross County- Big turnover from County, New manager, already out of cup due to Covid. Really don't know what to expect from them? Probably most peoples faves for relegation.

St Mirren- I actually think they have recruited fairly well for what they need. Got a steady squad and will be looking to improve on last season. I can see them getting top 6 this time around tbh.

Dundee- Not as many signings as they probably should have imo but with Adam they have a player which most teams would love to have. If they can keep the back door shut they probably have decent enough attacking players to keep them save enough. (I think they will comfortably stay up this season for some reason)

So it leaves us with United
    Pretty much same team but different manager. If we can survive the tricky start with a decent points total then I'm confident we can have a decent season but if we have a nightmare start coupled with the fact we have a rookie manager then writing could be on the wall very early. Signings in the next 10 days will be crucial imo
    Very good assessment. I would add a couple of things though. Despite what some have said, Logan Chalmers will effectively be like a new signing and Mulgrew will add some quality and a bit more dead ball threat. Also it shouldn't be discounted that St Johnstone had a really poor start last season and look where they ended up. I still think we will sign 2-3 players and hopefully the club are just holding out to get the best players we can attract to the club.

Keep the faith and FTD!

Yeah compared to other teams though there hasn't been as big of turnaround in players (Still could happen)

The St Johnstone fact is a good one however after the poor start they had I don't think Davidson was ever under real pressure due to him being abit of a Legend with St Johnstone and although he was a new manager, he had worked under numerous managers and even in the national setup for a spell so he had considered to have "learnt his trade"

I don't think Courts would be given the same level of patience and faith if he was to have a poor start like St Johnstone did last season.

Yeah compared to other teams though there hasn't been as big of turnaround in players (Still could happen)

The St Johnstone fact is a good one however after the poor start they had I don't think Davidson was ever under real pressure due to him being abit of a Legend with St Johnstone and although he was a new manager, he had worked under numerous managers and even in the national setup for a spell so he had considered to have "learnt his trade"

I don't think Courts would be given the same level of patience and faith if he was to have a poor start like St Johnstone did last season.
    If we have Klopp or Pep in charge, United fans would still want them sacked after one defeat

All good points. The last one is a given I'd say, considering the mood amongst a section of our fans before a ball was even kicked in anger. I'm hopeful they will be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by shed_boy_21 View Post
    Have you seen our first 6 games? We'll be lucky to have 3 points!!

At this point in time there aren't 2 teams worse than us. 3-4 GOOD signings required to avoid a dogfight IMO!
    In your opinion, you don't actually know that

I think we are strong enough right now to not go down

Yes I've seen the fixtures, very exciting, difficult but they would be with or without 3-4 signings as you put

We are a difficult fixture for all six of those teams aswell, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Honestly think people are over-estimating Hearts and Aberdeen. And if Hibs end up losing a few players like Nisbet etc they won't be as big a threat as they were last season.

100%, no way will that be the top five next season, imo

I think most fans weren't originally happy with the Appointment as decent candidates were out there but as soon as he got officially appointed it's all about getting behind him and team and hopefully they prove people wrong.

Some fans however are just over the top imo. Finding negatives out of stuff that aren't really there tbh. But we are all passionate about United so I can understand it

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)