+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T Top 10 Greatest Albums

I agree that having ‘best ever’ lists might be interesting but essentially is pretty pointless. There are a multitude of tastes and nobody would ever agree fully with such a thing. Nevertheless if it is not taken too seriously hearing other people’s suggestions could be a bit of fun. One alternative that I think would tax individuals is to be set a task. A bit like Desert Island Discs in that you can choose five and five only albums to take with you. You cannot take more than one by any artist whether solo or in groups. I don’t think it is easy. Naming the favourite albums for yourself is not too difficult but whittling it down to only 5 and deciding just what you would leave behind isn’t easy.

A pointless exercise as far as I'm concerned. It all depends on age and the era that your musical tastes were influenced by. There may be the odd album that spans the ages but very few. If I was to list my top ten albums they would be totally different to someone else of a different age group. It would be more interesting to perhaps do it by decades which would, to my mind, be more significant.

Lauryn Hill was a great singer but wouldn't put her in top ten of albums.
    I would have to include:
    Bat out of Hell
    Led Zep 2
    Dire Straits
    Born to Run
    Ziggy Stardust
    And a hundred others I couldn't split!

Surprised Dark side of the Moon isn't on there, it was in the album charts for years.
    Bat out of Hell didn't have one bad track on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    i ve got both Jethro Tull albums, the Dire Straits, the Genesis, the Carol King but I would swap the Liege & Life for Unhalfbricking.
    unhalfbricking not a bad album,it was a toss up between liege&lief and what we did on our holidays.I think liege &lief bought English electric folk to the for front.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Surprised Dark side of the Moon isn't on there, it was in the album charts for years.
    Bat out of Hell didn't have one bad track on it.
    Bat Out Of Hell had 552 weeks in the carts up until 2019 with only Rumours and Dark Side Of The Moon having more.

I was interested to find it only reached number 9 in the U.K. album charts though.

If I remember correctly though I think it was in the top 40 for at least 6-7 years from 1977 when it was released?

Very obviously it should be in the top 10 of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    A pointless exercise as far as I'm concerned. It all depends on age and the era that your musical tastes were influenced by. There may be the odd album that spans the ages but very few. If I was to list my top ten albums they would be totally different to someone else of a different age group. It would be more interesting to perhaps do it by decades which would, to my mind, be more significant.
    Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    Good idea
    I’ll throw some in

Paul weller - wild wood
    Air -moon safari
    Radiohead - the bends
    Dodgy - homegrown

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Bat Out Of Hell had 552 weeks in the carts up until 2019 with only Rumours and Dark Side Of The Moon having more.

I was interested to find it only reached number 9 in the U.K. album charts though.

If I remember correctly though I think it was in the top 40 for at least 6-7 years from 1977 when it was released?

Very obviously it should be in the top 10 of all time.
    I bought Bat out of Hell when it came out Mick.
    As Ketts say's it's all down to personal taste, but if any album lasts in the charts as long as the three you have mentioned, then someone must like them.

Fun but as many have said pretty meaningless without some criteria. I could list a whole load of albums that I consider the best as could most of us. I could try and tie them down to certain styles, ages etc. We could all do that and never wholly agree with each other. The albums mentioned by Rolling Stone are no doubt very good but I would not put any of them in a top ten solely because I personally do not rate them that highly. I have only one of them, Songs In The Key Of Life but I also have another Stevie Wonder album I consider better, Innervisions. However there are two particular albums that I think should be in that list because of their quality, Born To Run (groundbreaking) and Quadrophenia (masterpiece).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)