+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batley & Spen

Batley & Spen

Has anyone else been following this By-Election?

It perfectly highlights Labour's problem with the hard left. There are people like Owen Jones and George Galloway who would rather inflict a Tory MP on these constituents than a Labour one. Just to suit their political agenda.

How stupid are these people - they are doing nothing more than enabling more Tory power. And nearly handed this seat to them on a plate. The Corbyn years have set Labour back a generation. The last general election was the first time I didn't vote Labour since I've been of voting age.

I'm as anti Tory as they come, but whilst the hard left still has any influence within Labour then the Tories will continue to win elections and we will continue to have to put up with the incompetent and dishonest rabble that is our Government.

I agree with much of what you say but you yourself have a big problem, you’re anti Tory just for the sake of it.

I voteTory at the moment, I haven’t always, I voted for Blair twice and for Kinnock back in 92, I vote for what makes best sense to me at the time.

Maybe you should be voting Green or Dib Lemming, they certainly seem to more of a fit for you.

Just hating the Tory’s isn’t very grown up tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I agree with much of what you say but you yourself have a big problem, you’re anti Tory just for the sake of it.

I voteTory at the moment, I haven’t always, I voted for Blair twice and for Kinnock back in 92, I vote for what makes best sense to me at the time.

Maybe you should be voting Green or Dib Lemming, they certainly seem to more of a fit for you.

Tories are mostly self serving, elitist, greedy and incompetent. To make it worse, this lot are corrupt and without any integrity.

They win elections because of a couple of things, one is our terrible FPTP system which needs reform. The other is because their media friends control public opinion, because the vast majority of people in this country are quite dim and not very intelligent.

That is my opinion, just like you have yours.

There were a few decent Tories who have since left the party like Anna Soubry and Dominic Grieve. This lot in Government now haven't got an ounce of integrity between them and it rots from the fishes head down. And despite all of this, they'll win the next election because of the reasons outlined above.
    Last edited by WBA123; 02-07-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Also, I do vote Green or LD now.

But, I only vote LD because its between them and the Tories in my constituency. I would always vote for the Tory out option, so if it was out of Labour or Tories I would vote Labour. Again, this highlights the issue with the FPTP system.

When I wrote my initial reply I didn’t realise that Labour had actually won!

This clearly shows that voters hate being taken for mugs, this was a Tory win if it hadn’t been for the idiot and serial liar Matt Cockhand!

I don’t think any of the party’s understand this simple fact, if Joe Public think you’re having them over they in return will have you over.

The Tory’s deserved to lose this election and Jo Cox’s sister deserved to win it, the right result was reached in the end.

Serial disrupter Galloway had definitely handed this to the Tories before Cockhand’s crass stupidity handed it back to Labour.

Captain Hindsight can take not a shred of comfort from the result though, as I’ve said many times recently Labour need to get Andy Burnham as leader.

But they won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Tories are mostly self serving, elitist, greedy and incompetent. To make it worse, this lot are corrupt and without any integrity.

They win elections because of a couple of things, one is our terrible FPTP system which needs reform. The other is because their media friends control public opinion, because the vast majority of people in this country are quite dim and not very intelligent.

That is my opinion, just like you have yours.

There were a few decent Tories who have since left the party like Anna Soubry and Dominic Grieve. This lot in Government now haven't got an ounce of integrity between them and it rots from the fishes head down. And despite all of this, they'll win the next election because of the reasons outlined above.

Your superior and pompous assumption about “the majority of voters being dim and not very intelligent” says a lot about you.

It’s also a big part of the problem with politics, the party’s treat the public like idiots.

Whichever party is in government, the country is best served when there is a credible opposition, which sadly, we don’t have at the moment. Starmer gets stick for being dull and boring but his problem is the left wing of the Labour Party, which is a large part of the membership. Everyone in the country plays a part in which party is in government, one way or another; the Labour Party has its membership wielding power over crucial appointments, which has resulted in left wingers holding sway over the leadership. This has resulted in many traditional Labour voters abandoning the Party. Those that don’t vote at all have an effect; if you don’t vote you’re not in a position to criticise the government.

I’m not sure that changing the voting system is the way to go. If the Labour Party got their act together and united behind a centre left leader then they would be in a far better position to defeat a buffoon and his cronies. Time and time again the British public have rejected a left wing Labour Party yet they still persist with going down that track. Perhaps the problem is that Labour is now, in reality, two parties in one? Change required, methinks.

Your superior and pompous assumption about “the majority of voters being dim and not very intelligent” says a lot about you.

It’s also a big part of the problem with politics, the party’s treat the public like idiots.
    That's okay, that is my opinion. And we're all entitled to one.

Most people are pretty stupid in this country in my view. That's the only reasonable conclusion I can make when I look at the some of the election results and the Brexit vote.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Whichever party is in government, the country is best served when there is a credible opposition, which sadly, we don’t have at the moment. Starmer gets stick for being dull and boring but his problem is the left wing of the Labour Party, which is a large part of the membership. Everyone in the country plays a part in which party is in government, one way or another; the Labour Party has its membership wielding power over crucial appointments, which has resulted in left wingers holding sway over the leadership. This has resulted in many traditional Labour voters abandoning the Party. Those that don’t vote at all have an effect; if you don’t vote you’re not in a position to criticise the government.

I’m not sure that changing the voting system is the way to go. If the Labour Party got their act together and united behind a centre left leader then they would be in a far better position to defeat a buffoon and his cronies. Time and time again the British public have rejected a left wing Labour Party yet they still persist with going down that track. Perhaps the problem is that Labour is now, in reality, two parties in one? Change required, methinks.
    Overall I do like Starmer, but he has a very weak shadow cabinet.

And the far left factions won't go away. He has tried to unite the far left and the soft left, and I just don't think its possible. Pick a side and stick to it.

Agree with your last statement, change is definitely needed somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    That's okay, that is my opinion. And we're all entitled to one.

Most people are pretty stupid in this country in my view. That's the only reasonable conclusion I can make when I look at the some of the election results and the Brexit vote.
    To make an informed decision on how to vote on any particular issue, all relevant information is required and I’m sure that for the majority of the public, all the relevant information is either not readily available or not available at all. Trade deals, for example, are notoriously complex matters and the consequences of causing changes to them by voting for certain issues are probably not going to be realised by most people, not necessarily because they are too stupid but because it would take too much time to go through all the details.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)