+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Waghorn gone...

Waghorn gone...

...to Coventry.
    Not a huge loss, imo, as long as he’s replaced.
    Always wholehearted but lacking consistency and, all too often, a decent touch.
    Can’t fault his effort and wish him well, but it’s a sad sign of the times when two of our strikers prefer Peterborough and Coventry City to DCFC.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    ...to Coventry.
    Not a huge loss, imo, as long as he’s replaced.
    Always wholehearted but lacking consistency and, all too often, a decent touch.
    Can’t fault his effort and wish him well, but it’s a sad sign of the times when two of our strikers prefer Peterborough and Coventry City to DCFC.
    Nothing to do with Derby or any other team's lustre, they'll be getting paid more

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Nothing to do with Derby or any other team's lustre, they'll be getting paid more
    Fact is, Andy, that for whatever reason, Waghorn and Marriott have found those football giants, Coventry and Peterborough, more attractive propositions than ourselves and that doesn’t reflect well on DCFC.

It may well be that neither are any great loss, especially as it is over two years now since JM contributed anything at all to the Derby cause.

Knowing that we won’t now be relegated via a points deduction in time for the 21/22 season does help but the uncertainty over whether we start next season with some sort of points penalty must only make it harder to recruit suitable replacements.

Fact is, Andy, that for whatever reason, Waghorn and Marriott have found those football giants, Coventry and Peterborough, more attractive propositions than ourselves and that doesn’t reflect well on DCFC.

It may well be that neither are any great loss, especially as it is over two years now since JM contributed anything at all to the Derby cause.

Knowing that we won’t now be relegated via a points deduction in time for the 21/22 season does help but the uncertainty over whether we start next season with some sort of points penalty must only make it harder to recruit suitable replacements.
    Its my usual cynicism coming through rA, sorry

The alternative view is that it reflects a more sensible approach by DCFC, they wouldn't go over what they thought were fair wages for these two, whereas other clubs were prepared to take that risk.

For me thats a sign of pragmatism, Marriott has contributed sweet FA for 2 seasons and Waggy came good on the last day but I'd hardly say he was £5 million plus wages well spent!

So for me it reflects well on DCFC, out with the old and in with the new and lest stop spending millions on fees and wages on players who haven't performed!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    The alternative view is that it reflects a more sensible approach by DCFC, they wouldn't go over what they thought were fair wages for these two, whereas other clubs were prepared to take that risk.

For me thats a sign of pragmatism, Marriott has contributed sweet FA for 2 seasons and Waggy came good on the last day but I'd hardly say he was £5 million plus wages well spent!

So for me it reflects well on DCFC, out with the old and in with the new and lest stop spending millions on fees and wages on players who haven't performed!
    IF that’s the underlying reason for the disposals I’m all for it, I want a well (business wise) managed club in whatever division, we’ve been a basket case for too long

IF that’s the underlying reason for the disposals I’m all for it, I want a well (business wise) managed club in whatever division, we’ve been a basket case for too long
    Bang on, let's get ourselves back into the real world and forget the Peter Pan nonsense.
    Re-build the club root and branch, every department has to prove its worth and contriibute to a clear strategy or it's 'on your bike' (are you listening scouts/recruitment). Once this Club is back on its feet and we are, hopefully, having paying customers going through the turnstiles again then perhaps we can finally put this nonsense behind us!

For that as well but imo the club needs desperately to look at it's recruitment certainly internationally, paying over the odds for other people's cast offs on 3.5 year deals then end up giving them away when we realize why they were cast offs

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

Fair points. Still like to have seen us getting something back for Marriott but the EFL seem to have stitched us up completely on that one and I still don’t know quite why we appear to have been allowed to extend CKR’s contract since we tried to extend Marriott’s.

As regards Waghorn...I’d forgotten he cost £5m...still can’t quite believe that, but you’re right and I 100% agree with the sentiment of your closing sentence. Suppose the question becomes...how do we find more with the attitude of Davies and Shinnie and fewer faint hearts.

Absolutely, much of the profligate spending was down to Mel's ambition, but I far rather be financially secure, and building our way back without flashing the cash on so called "big names".

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)