+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAR at the Euros

VAR at the Euros

One thing i've noticed is how little we hear about the use of VAR in the Euro matches. Maybe the Premier League will take note and we won't ahve the farce over the use of VAR that we had last season?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    One thing i've noticed is how little we hear about the use of VAR in the Euro matches. Maybe the Premier League will take note and we won't ahve the farce over the use of VAR that we had last season?
    Regrettably I doubt it. Officiating in general has been far better in the Uris than the prem shambles

Nice timing Swale. VAR had two decisions to make tonight and got them both wrong. Kane ‘penalty’ was...Sterling’s wasn’t...imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Nice timing Swale. VAR had two decisions to make tonight and got them both wrong. Kane ‘penalty’ was...Sterling’s wasn’t...imo.
    I didn't say that VAR necessarily got it right, just that its application was done quickly and with no fuss or lengthy waits.

The Kane penalty I would say wasn't, because the defender played the ball and Kane's foot was behind the dane's, I've seen them given but IMO it wasn't a penalty.

The Sterling penalty is more difficult, though the ref was in a position to see and was most likely given for the body contact on Sterling, I agree there was no contact by a defenders foot.

VAR only changes a decision where there is a clear and obvious error, so if those reviewing don't think one has been made then the decision will stand.

Shows how difficult it is. I agree with you about the officiating and the use of VAR. Just seemed slightly ironic that, after what you’d written, last night neither seemed particularly good. Imo the ref for Spain v Italy was superb...last night’s wasn’t. Maguire’s booking was ridiculous and Kane had a much better shout for a penalty than Sterling.
    Anyway...we won and deservedly so...so onto Sunday and fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Shows how difficult it is. I agree with you about the officiating and the use of VAR. Just seemed slightly ironic that, after what you’d written, last night neither seemed particularly good. Imo the ref for Spain v Italy was superb...last night’s wasn’t. Maguire’s booking was ridiculous and Kane had a much better shout for a penalty than Sterling.
    Anyway...we won and deservedly so...so onto Sunday and fingers crossed.
    As a ref, the hip check waas a foul inside the box so it's a penalty all day long. It's a foul if perpetrated in the centre circle and it's also one inside the box. Makkelie got both decisions right.

Kuipers in the Final and he is a brilliant ref who won't fall for the Italian diving/injury feigning nonsense.

Maguire's booking? Players were told pre tournament that jumping for the ball and leading with your arm/elbow into the head of an opponent would lead to a yellow card. Danny Makkelie did as instructed, other refs haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    As a ref, the hip check waas a foul inside the box so it's a penalty all day long. It's a foul if perpetrated in the centre circle and it's also one inside the box. Makkelie got both decisions right.

Kuipers in the Final and he is a brilliant ref who won't fall for the Italian diving/injury feigning nonsense.

Maguire's booking? Players were told pre tournament that jumping for the ball and leading with your arm/elbow into the head of an opponent would lead to a yellow card. Danny Makkelie did as instructed, other refs haven't.
    Yes the Maguire booking was consistent with one in another match as MA says there was an instruction with players jumping leading with their elbow.

I thought the ref was inconsistent, he ignored some persistent fouling by the Danes, which could have been stopped with a booking after the 2nd or 3rd time. The free kick given for the Danes goal was also suspect, hardly any contact by Shaw when more obvious holding was left unpenalised, ah well we won!

rA I just think that the way VAR has been applied at the Euros, no fuss, no drama a quick check and then on with the game has been good, its hardly been noticeable and not led to huge delays or arguments to whether a players toenail was offside.

Yes the standard of officiating has been good, but its not bad refs that makes VAR such a farce in the premier league, its the way it has been implemented.

What I've said all alomg Swale. Nowt wrong with VAR, or at least with the way FIFA pitched it and it works in Holland and Germany well and as designed. The FA/PL decided to throw ridiculous amounts of money at it but only succeeded at making it unwieldy, totally forgetting the core principle of an error having to be clear and obvious to be overturned. Half a millimeter offside is neither clear nor obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

rA I just think that the way VAR has been applied at the Euros, no fuss, no drama a quick check and then on with the game has been good, its hardly been noticeable and not led to huge delays or arguments to whether a players toenail was offside.

Yes the standard of officiating has been good, but its not bad refs that makes VAR such a farce in the premier league, its the way it has been implemented.
    Agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

I think you need to reasses that comment. He was absolute ****e.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)