+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Daryl Dike

Daryl Dike

Did really well for Barnsley last season and they were never going to be able to pay the £20m option to buy, unless they got promoted.

I am very surprised he is playing in the USA again and hasn't been snapped up by another, especially a German club who seem to hoover up most of the good young players from around the world.

Surely, a loan to buy option must be being explored by us, even it takes an initial loan fee of a couple of million.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    Did really well for Barnsley last season and they were never going to be able to pay the £20m option to buy, unless they got promoted.

I am very surprised he is playing in the USA again and hasn't been snapped up by another, especially a German club who seem to hoover up most of the good young players from around the world.

Surely, a loan to buy option must be being explored by us, even it takes an initial loan fee of a couple of million.
    I can't say I saw much of him, but he looks a handful, has a good scoring record and is still only 21. He ticks all the boxes.

I also read somewhere that the fee was 20m dollars rather than £'s, which brings it down to about £15m. That is quite an achievable fee for us if we were to get promoted again, especially if we sold Periera and Johnstone for £30m+

I thought this was going to be another thread about a woman Tennis player.

We’d heard allsorts of figures bandied about but was apparentlyknowhere near what reports had said. It was circa £3-5m from what we’d heard - we were told even we could afford it ! Wages were the big sticking point as I think we’d have an upset dressing room if we went with the alleged wage demands. Great player and definitely PL quality , a grafter as well which is always a bonus. He would get you 25 this season as the better quality is around him

Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post
    We’d heard allsorts of figures bandied about but was apparentlyknowhere near what reports had said. It was circa £3-5m from what we’d heard - we were told even we could afford it ! Wages were the big sticking point as I think we’d have an upset dressing room if we went with the alleged wage demands. Great player and definitely PL quality , a grafter as well which is always a bonus. He would get you 25 this season as the better quality is around him
    Thanks for your input.

I know he was on fire when he joined, but after posting this thread I looked on your mad forum and some were saying his first touch is bad and others said he was knackered at the therefore ineffective at the end of the season.

Being knackered is probably down to no pre season with yourselves and the frenetic pace and Saturday and Tuesday games.

Some of your fans also seem to suggest that he is destined to join Everton and be loaned back to you again.

What are his pros and cons?

Also, is it true Barnsley have adopted the moneyball approach like brentford?

Thanks for your input.

I know he was on fire when he joined, but after posting this thread I looked on your mad forum and some were saying his first touch is bad and others said he was knackered at the therefore ineffective at the end of the season.

Being knackered is probably down to no pre season with yourselves and the frenetic pace and Saturday and Tuesday games.

Some of your fans also seem to suggest that he is destined to join Everton and be loaned back to you again.

I might be wrong but I thought he got a lack of protection from referees. He is a big powerful unit and it was as if there was a certain level of foul/ force that was allowed on him because of his size, but if he dished it out it was bullyboy tactics. If he look at the Swansea game , there CB doled out foul after foul , yet went down like he’d been shot whenever Dike went near him.

He’s a grafter, is good at getting his shots away and is a powerful kid. His main downfall is his size and type of player he is for this day and age of football where it seems to be becoming a more and more non contact sport - they’ll be going round with rags in the back of their shorts soon .

There’s probably some sour grapes at him not rejoining us (might be wrong) but there’s not many flaws to his game. He’s 21, come to a new country, become our second top goal scorer in 20 games and I would put him down as the best loan signing I’ve seen - not just the quality but the way he played as if he was a fully contracted player. I would be gobsmacked if I saw him in a barnsley shirt again

On the moneyball job, we’ve operated like this for knocking up 8/9 years so we’ll before Brentford-they followed our lead but on a more ambitious scale - similar to Bristol City who surprise surprise went and got our manager to implement it. That said not any were bothered that lee Johnson left as stroking it around the back 9 but having 89% possession tended to suck the life out of us to a point where most ST holders would take crochet kits to the games. Billy bean (moneyball film Oakland A’s bloke) co-owns our club

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I thought this was going to be another thread about a woman Tennis player.
    Err yes I hear he Dike does play bad tennis in his spare time, and apparently he still thrashes Andy Murray everytime.
    Last edited by Acido; 10-07-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks for your input.

Hi Blood, hope you are well there was a link posted by Soulman a few weeks back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5nYbwJssO0

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    Hi Blood, hope you are well there was a link posted by Soulman a few weeks back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5nYbwJssO0
    Alright BS, I hope you're well and that your daughter is making a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the link, I will watch it, I just wished we could be as forward thinking as the bees and the tykes when it comes analytics instead of buying shyte like Burke and sopoor.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)