+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Mariner has died

A great player. Sad news

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    My wife did some of her Mental Health training at Fulbourn in the early 80’s so apart from watching Cambridge vs anyone from these parts we were lucky enough to be at Portman Road to see the great Ipswich side of that era - Mariner included - beat Aris Salonica by 4 or 5. A great night of European football. I’ve tried to explain to my son how good that Ipswich side were but I don’t think he gets it ��
    Ipswich had a run of finishing in the top four 7 times out 10 seasons 1973-1982. Arguably, they were just as good, if not better than the great Derby, Villa and Fword teams of that vintage in terms of consistency, the difference was that Ipswich just couldn't grab hold of the title*. However, at that time, the FA Cup was still the trophy everybody wanted to win, Ipswich managed to do that whilst none of the other sides I've just mentioned did. I don't think it's an exaggeration to claim that Ipswich beating Arsenal in the cup final in 1978 was a much bigger deal than Villa beating Bayern Munich in 1982 European Cup final.

*They had of course already won it back in 1962 under Alf Ramsey in their first ever season in the top flight.

There is a growing push over here in rugby league to punish any contact remotely near the head. There has been an increase, at least in awareness, of problems in later life (dementia, brain injury etc) caused by repeated concussions, that previously had gone unchecked, i.e. get straight back on the pitch. Now they go off for a head injury assessment and are at the mercy of the medical staff as to whether they return or not.

I wonder whether there is a correlation with ex footballers, who used to head heavier, sodden balls?

The Ipswich team where excellent in Mariners time, he was a key player. Very sad, will remember him when at a service.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Ipswich had a run of finishing in the top four 7 times out 10 seasons 1973-1982. Arguably, they were just as good, if not better than the great Derby, Villa and Fword teams of that vintage in terms of consistency, the difference was that Ipswich just couldn't grab hold of the title*. However, at that time, the FA Cup was still the trophy everybody wanted to win, Ipswich managed to do that whilst none of the other sides I've just mentioned did. I don't think it's an exaggeration to claim that Ipswich beating Arsenal in the cup final in 1978 was a much bigger deal than Villa beating Bayern Munich in 1982 European Cup final.

*They had of course already won it back in 1962 under Alf Ramsey in their first ever season in the top flight.
    Ironically I was at the Arsenal v Ipswich Cup final as well. In those days Notts had a competition in the match day programme where if you could submit 3 nominated programme vouchers you went in the hat for one of 20 tickets available. I was lucky enough to get one for West Ham v Fulham in 75, then again in 78 for Arsenal v Ipswich.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    There is a growing push over here in rugby league to punish any contact remotely near the head. There has been an increase, at least in awareness, of problems in later life (dementia, brain injury etc) caused by repeated concussions, that previously had gone unchecked, i.e. get straight back on the pitch. Now they go off for a head injury assessment and are at the mercy of the medical staff as to whether they return or not.

I wonder whether there is a correlation with ex footballers, who used to head heavier, sodden balls?
    The family of Ernie Moss,who died of dementia recently after years in residential care,attributed that as a major factor. A doughty opponent down the years,sometime coupled with Kevin Randall before his move to us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12