+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PCR & Antigen Tests for travellers & Football Fans currently ?

The UK seems to be slowing down in getting people jabbed as in the u30 bracket the risk reward equation is a lot different.

I suspect that is why the government announces that from Sept if you want to get entry to a nightclub you need to use the COVID Pass app as a way of forcing/encouraging that demographic to get vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    The UK seems to be slowing down in getting people jabbed as in the u30 bracket the risk reward equation is a lot different.

I suspect that is why the government announces that from Sept if you want to get entry to a nightclub you need to use the COVID Pass app as a way of forcing/encouraging that demographic to get vaccinated.
    I am afraid I can't agree with your first statement. There is close to zero risk, so there really is no equation.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    I am afraid I can't agree with your first statement. There is close to zero risk, so there really is no equation.
    Hmmmn fair enough but if you are under 30 and fit and healthy the the world data shows you are highly unlikely to suffer severe symptoms or worse and most likely you will be asymptomatic if you have it.

On the flip side - there are some side effects (albeit rare) to the vaccines but the fear is that there may be longer term side effects that are not yet know given the truly impressive speed with which the vaccine has been developed and rolled out.

At my age it is a no brainer to get double jabbed. If I was 20 and as fit and healthy as I used to be then given the lack of clarity and proper information on a range of questions that some in that demographic are asking then it is far less clear cut.

Looking through my Mental Health glasses it would appear the clear messages from the under 30 year olds would be along the lines 'what about their future'.

The long term and 'long-term' impact of lockdowns and interrupted and suboptimal educational provisions on children and young people in terms of physical and mental health, social adjustment, educational achievement and career prospects.SMART goals should be set.The magnitude of the harm done should be shared with the public and policy-makers should be held accountable.

Devise remediation programmes to reach educational, mental and physical well-being goals, particularly for 'vulnerable groups' such as young people who dropped out of school or find themselves in early marriage or pregnant.

Form a multidisciplinary expert taskforce to build a case to render extended closure of educational institutions unlawful and to ensure that a similar calamity is avoided in the future.

Individuals choice of course but strategies in operation vary country to country as do the expectations of differing age groups.

Personally,aged 34 I've had both jabs but I do regret being pumped full of so much medication for my illness over past years administered by so called experts that in reality created more problems for me to cope with.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Looking through my Mental Health glasses it would appear the clear messages from the under 30 year olds would be along the lines 'what about their future'.

The long term and 'long-term' impact of lockdowns and interrupted and suboptimal educational provisions on children and young people in terms of physical and mental health, social adjustment, educational achievement and career prospects.SMART goals should be set.The magnitude of the harm done should be shared with the public and policy-makers should be held accountable.

Devise remediation programmes to reach educational, mental and physical well-being goals, particularly for 'vulnerable groups' such as young people who dropped out of school or find themselves in early marriage or pregnant.

Form a multidisciplinary expert taskforce to build a case to render extended closure of educational institutions unlawful and to ensure that a similar calamity is avoided in the future.

Individuals choice of course but strategies in operation vary country to country as do the expectations of differing age groups.

Personally,aged 34 I've had both jabs but I do regret being pumped full of so much medication for my illness over past years administered by so called experts that in reality created more problems for me to cope with.
    I think you are right. In tthe UK, the government has lectured and not engaged with the younger generation throughout the pandemic. They will pay the true cost of the actions of governments (not only financially) for years to come.

If I was aged 25 not sure I would have much faith in a lot of what the PM and the current and past Health Secretaries say. Not helped by what Dominic Cummings is saying at present (albeit he would fall into the same category).

Look at the G7 shambles and other recent debacles - why would the young have any faith in government at the moment?

If someone has thought about the issue properly and decided against a jab then fair play to them - that is their choice - irrespective of whether the government and older generation likes it or not.

If they want a better uptake then they need to engage and explain - not much chance of that me thinks.

The government can’t even be consistent on self isolation if notified by the app. - if they can’t get that right!

I think you are right. In tthe UK, the government has lectured and not engaged with the younger generation throughout the pandemic. They will pay the true cost of the actions of governments (not only financially) for years to come.

If I was aged 25 not sure I would have much faith in a lot of what the PM and the current and past Health Secretaries say. Not helped by what Dominic Cummings is saying at present (albeit he would fall into the same category).

Look at the G7 shambles and other recent debacles - why would the young have any faith in government at the moment?

If someone has thought about the issue properly and decided against a jab then fair play to them - that is their choice - irrespective of whether the government and older generation likes it or not.

If they want a better uptake then they need to engage and explain - not much chance of that me thinks.
    Errr, bollox. Amongst the western European nations, the UK has had the most open, transparent and FACTUAL information campaign. I know this from the "Conversations" had with family, friends and work colleagues based in France, the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, where there has been none of the sort of updates and briefings that have emanated from No. 10 on a regular basis.

Have there been errors, and mistakes? Of course there have, no-one currently alive has had to manage events such as those we have all gone through over the last 12 months, and just like Bielsa, those in government are not gods, and are fallible, just as we all are. At least we haven't sought to limit access to vaccines by other countries, as Macron, Merkel and der Leyden have, whilst overseeing a leaden vaccination programme tied down by red tape, in-fighting and a bureaucratic nightmare of vaccine procurement.

If those under 30 have decided not to get vaccinated, and they have arrived at that decision based on what Johnson, cummings etc have had to say, then god help them, because thats NOT who you listen to when the debate is about vaccine efficacy, benefits of large scale immunisation on the WHOLE population irrespective of age or medical condition, and potential side effects across the whole age range, it's the scientists and medical professionals, and their advice has been consistently GET VACCINATED. No better engagement or explanations required, just that the younger end need to listen and take notice, and not think they are invulnerable (which they aren't) nor that remaining unvaccinated doesn't affect anyone but themselves (because it does). "None are so blind who will not see", applies.

As for it being "their choice" of not to be vaccinated, they need to ask themselves how they would feel if as an asymptomatic carrier they were to infect a fragile relative (vaccinated or not, the vaccines are not 100% protection, that is fact) and that relative becomes seriously ill or dies. We are in a "side before self" situation, and the sooner they younger generation wake up to that fact (something EVERYONE who has ears to hear and eyes to see KNOWS), the better (and yes, if I had my way vaccination would be mandatory).

Thankfully it’s not up to you. You can’t force people to put things in their bodies without their consent:

If you think the current government is clear and transparent then good luck to you.

Thankfully it’s not up to you. You can’t force people to put things in their bodies without their consent:

If you think the current government is clear and transparent then good luck to you.
    Read what I wrote, instead of how you wish to interpret it. As for "forcing people to put things in their bodies", you would be in the Andrew Wakefield camp, where the MMR vaccination causes autism? Wind on 15 years and we have a measles epidemic amongst those whose parent were scared into not getting their children immunised, and who are now dying as a result, stellar performance. Always a question of analysing the risks, but selfish ignorance or foolish over-confidence won't stop Covid killing people, the vaccines stand a chance of doing so.

Touché but maybe you should also read what I wrote - I am double jabbed but for me it was a no brainer.

Trying to put myself in the shoes of a 20 year old it wouldn’t be quite so clear cut. Also as a 20 to 30 year old I might feel slightly aggrieved by how the government has treated me not least if I was a student.

To compare to Andrew Wakefield is crass and inappropriate - he was a professional spouting advice he knew to be wrong. I was expressing a view and sympathy with the younger generation. Hey ho I guess the heat has made you grumpy today but I don’treally mind 😎

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)