+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Season

New Season

Well, the new season is nearly upon us and the first pre season game is today. What should the STARTING 11 be and is everyone thinking of this game or are minds elsewhere- down Sarf maybe.

What are peoples thoughts on the new season, will we push on or struggle?

Are the signings so far, exciting and what we need or is there serious gaps in our squad?

Are people looking forward to watching matches live or is there still an anxiety about the situation?

My thoughts are that that looking at the teams in the division we may struggle, BUT the 1st team looks as good, if not better than last season (especially if the 2 FB positions are solid). The season could be interesting and hopefully entertaining and ultimately successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo View Post
    Well, the new season is nearly upon us and the first pre season game is today. What should the STARTING 11 be and is everyone thinking of this game or are minds elsewhere- down Sarf maybe.

Are the signings so far, exciting and what we need or is there serious gaps in our squad?

Are people looking forward to watching matches live or is there still an anxiety about the situation?

My thoughts are that that looking at the teams in the division we may struggle, BUT the 1st team looks as good, if not better than last season (especially if the 2 FB positions are solid). The season could be interesting and hopefully entertaining and ultimately successful.
    My personal feeling, is that DA has done well so far in the transfer market. Assuming there are no departures, I think we can be quietly confident of a Solid season in league 1. If we want to challenge for the playoffs, like DA says he wants to, I feel we need, ideally, another 4 signings. I think another CB, LB, wide attacking midfielder, ideally a big lad, in the same mould as Powell, (we definitely missed having that physical option out wide for large parts of last season. Sometimes, you just need someone who can pick up the ball and physically blast their way past players), but relevent to League 1 and Mandaron clone, do we can rotate our front man, without giving up any quality (sorry Ports. I can't see you as anything more than emergency backup). I think Hoban and Ramsay will really shore the defence up, and, if we can DD fit, we should be fairly comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo View Post

I think DA has done well in the transfer market and brought in some decent players, losing NG, Wintle and Pickering is difficult, we cant afford to buy that quality, so I think DA has done well and we still have some young players coming through. Our CB pairing will certainly be better than last season and we have more options up front with Long being brought in, Porter will be used more sparingly but will get game time but its probably a tussle between Mandron and Long to play up front. Our midfield is looking good and DA has brought in some more experience. All i all looking forward to the new season and think we can be optimistic.

Other than the full backs I think we look at least as promising as we did last season with the signings DA has made and the hoped for further improvement from the likes of Finney, Lundstram, Dale, Adebisi and those we have seen even less of - let’s face it there are almost certain to be a couple of pleasant surprises.

I don’t expect many more signings, if any, although a loanee or two wouldn’t be a major shock, especially if we pick up a long term injury during August.

Will L1 be stronger next season? Maybe not much; the usual ‘big’ clubs will be difficult and Wigan seem to have acquired some dosh from somewhere! The relegated clubs don’t look any better than Peterborough, Blackpool or Hull although they may not play such attractive football as 2 of them did! I don’t think we have much to fear from 3 of the promoted sides; Bolton should be better than the others.

So, if we are at least as good, and we know that we need not fear anyone really, then we should be aiming for the play offs - certainly be looking up rather than over our shoulders. 6th place it is then… and we know what happened last time that happened.

You are all talking about outfield players but I am more than concerned over our keepers. Both are average and no better than that. There must be a loan keeper we can bring in as we have done it before and we have had some gems come to us. DA has done very well in the transfer market so far and I think he has some players lined up but is not rushing. Who is doing all the scouting these days as the players have come from far and wide. I feel we should be aiming for the playoffs this season as we were not far off them last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    You are all talking about outfield players but I am more than concerned over our keepers. Both are average and no better than that. There must be a loan keeper we can bring in as we have done it before and we have had some gems come to us. DA has done very well in the transfer market so far and I think he has some players lined up but is not rushing. Who is doing all the scouting these days as the players have come from far and wide. I feel we should be aiming for the playoffs this season as we were not far off them last year.
    Careful what you wish for though - remember when Taylor from Chelsea kept Steve Phillips on the bench all season and he ended up at Macc! How we cheered when he was red carded and Steve got on the pitch!

Plenty of others who have gone on to bigger clubs , just saying we need a keeper and the way DA is working in the transfer market I feel he will be able to find one. I am surprised that other fans have not commentated on the goal keeper situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    Plenty of others who have gone on to bigger clubs , just saying we need a keeper and the way DA is working in the transfer market I feel he will be able to find one. I am surprised that other fans have not commentated on the goal keeper situation.
    They, or rather we, may feel that, whilst we could get better players in every position, there are higher priorities than replacing a goalkeeper who has proved more than adequate over the past couple of seasons. My opinion of Trigger is well known, but the club have to work within a budget and said budget is clearly better spent the way it has been rather than bring in a third ‘keeper. As both ‘keepers have at least a year left on their contracts the DA must trust them both or they wouldn’t have been offered extensions. I guess we should trust the manager; his record isn’t bad you know!

I'm with AA on this one. Much as it would be great to have a new keeper, I don't think it's a priority. In one of the interviews posted on the OS, DA himself has said that he only foresees at the absolute most, four more signings. If that's the case, then I strongly feel there are at least four other positions in need of strengthening before that of keeper. Additionally, let's not forget, Will is still young for a keeper. They tend to hit their stride a couple of years or so later than outfield players. I don't remember Ben Garrett or Ben Williams being much different in quality to what Will is now at his age. I seem to remember that both ended up leaving after their first season of consistency. If Will follows the same profile, he'll be with us for another couple of seasons. I really think we need to keep investing in Will's development. As for Trigg; in my opinion, he's not a keeper that I'd want to rely on in goal every week, but he's a good stand in, should Will get injured, be on international duty, etc.

sorry guys but have to disagree with you on this one . I am looking at bringing in a loan keeper to bolster our defence, We appear to be strengthening/ investing in the outfield players but still leaving a weak spot between the posts . I feel that Wills indecision on more than a few occasions cost us valuable points last season. If an outfield player makes a mistake there is another player to cover for him but not in goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast