+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Who wouldn't want a player like him in their team?'

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Ok, what about the height of the tackle, surely that's still a factor? I've just found a clip and re-watched it. The ball was on the ground, Grealish was also on the ground sliding in feet first on what looked like a 50:50 challenge and Jorginho boots hit the top of the ball first spun off sharply to the side and into Jack.

I'm not a ref but doesn't the fact the contact with the player was partly caused by the boot spinning off the ball come into play when the official makes the decision?

Very painful clearly to be studded there but it was all about less than foot off the ground. I don't think it's a 100% red card, I've seen red cards and yellow cards for similar.

The world class referee decided it was the latter. Tbh if he had been sent off I envisage we would have gone to penalities anyway. We didn't deserve any more than that at best.
    What about when De Jong axe-kicked Alonso in the chest and only got a yellow card? Was the world class referee right? Not much point ever debating a referring decision again if the ref is always right.

So much of your post doesn't make sense, sorry. Grealish wasn't 'also' on the ground, he was the only one on the ground, having executed a perfect slide tackle to win the ball with his laces.

Jorghino tried to win the ball (assuming that's what he was trying to do) by stamping through it, which was impossible because Jack's foot was right behind it. On a rainy night simple physics mean the only possible outcome was his foot sliding off the ball towards some part of Jack's body, with studs showing. Jorghino therefore wasn't in control of the tackle and for a time he also had no feet on the ground meaning it was a lunge.

Even my Italian mates who have been ripping the piss out of me all day, say it should've been straight red.

Should the rules dictate that Chiellini's actions warranted a sending off? Yes.

Was Chiellini being the typical, ultra cynical Italian defender, exploiting the weakness of the rules and maybe the referee? Yes.

Should the rules be changed to make such a "tackle" a clear red card? Yes.

Would I want Giorgio Chiellini in Notts County's team if it was possible? Yes, you bet your life I would!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Would I want Giorgio Chiellini in Notts County's team if it was possible? Yes, you bet your life I would!
    No thanks, we've had our share of old slow dinosaurs at the back. It's what annoyed me so much about England last night, we did not expose the slow Italian defence anywhere near as we should have done. We got to the final in spite of Southgate, we had an attack minded manager and that game would have been over in the first half with the attacking talent we have

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    What about when De Jong axe-kicked Alonso in the chest and only got a yellow card? Was the world class referee right? Not much point ever debating a referring decision again if the ref is always right.

So much of your post doesn't make sense, sorry. Grealish wasn't 'also' on the ground, he was the only one on the ground, having executed a perfect slide tackle to win the ball with his laces.

Jorghino tried to win the ball (assuming that's what he was trying to do) by stamping through it, which was impossible because Jack's foot was right behind it. On a rainy night simple physics mean the only possible outcome was his foot sliding off the ball towards some part of Jack's body, with studs showing. Jorghino therefore wasn't in control of the tackle and for a time he also had no feet on the ground meaning it was a lunge.

Even my Italian mates who have been ripping the piss out of me all day, say it should've been straight red.
    No need for such hostilities Driller.

I never said that referees are always right, they aren't, it's a tough gig. I just said that IMO it wasn't a 100% red card. This ref thought the same. It's not that clear cut unlike earlier (actual) red cards in the tournament.

I'm afraid you misread my post, "The ball was on the ground, Grealish was also on the ground sliding" , that statement makes sense and is a fact I've seen the replay. Ball and Jack on the ground, contact was all under a foot off the ground.
    I do agree he wasn't in control, I said "reckless" , he committed the foul without a doubt, was a stamp action.... on to the ball

You will find people who think it was a red , others will say a (hard) yellow whether English, Italian like your mates, or even Dutch.

Good debate

As for Chiellini, love him, great player. Would I want Rawlinson to have done that if it stopped a breakaway in a play off final and we went onto win. Every single day of the week, including Sunday.

It's all irrelevant we lost get over it

'SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.'

Red for me

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    It's all irrelevant we lost get over it
    It wouldn't have mattered a jot anyway. The way we played after the 1st 45 mins I honestly think Italy would have beaten us with 7 men.

Chiellini’s assault on Saka reminded me of Sergio Ramos doing Mo Salah in the champion’s league a few years ago. An admirable level of cynicism.

Both cut from the same cloth and both have won far more than even the top English defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    No thanks, we've had our share of old slow dinosaurs at the back. It's what annoyed me so much about England last night, we did not expose the slow Italian defence anywhere near as we should have done. We got to the final in spite of Southgate, we had an attack minded manager and that game would have been over in the first half with the attacking talent we have
    You swap the two managers around and I’m convinced England would have won last night. Mancini wasn’t afraid to make changes throughout the tournament and managed to win in a variety of different ways, Southgate looked overawed last night and adopted a safety-first approach that ultimately cost us the best chance of winning a major tournament in my lifetime (54 years of hurt).

I know we’re always only “one player” away from going on to great things, but I do think this side could be serious contenders in Qatar or Germany if the likes of Foden, Bellingham, Rice and Sancho keep improving and we play to our attacking strengths a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    In spite? His tactics and approach got us to the final and cost us in the final.

If we had an attack minded manager would we have got to the final? Our known weakness is our defensive options and goalkeeper you've got to protect that or we are going out in a high scoring encounter before the final. We've seen that before with England that's for sure.

I'll ask again if Southgate walked away from the job (he won't, well he shouldn't anyway) who would you want the England manager to be?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast