+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Who wouldn't want a player like him in their team?'

'Who wouldn't want a player like him in their team?'

I believe these were Rio Ferdinand's words when the pundits were doing their post-match summary last night. He was referring to Chiellini's brutal handling of Sako, hauling him to the ground when the lad had skipped past him down the right wing.
    Giorgio was the epitome of gentlemanly conduct as he cooperated with the ref in accepting his yellow card. To me that yellow card was a feeble response to the player's actions which were reminiscent of Maldini and Baresi - the Italian way of defending.
    For Ferdinand to imply that every team should have such a player, who is prepared to tactically foul and 'take one for the team' is about as cynical as it gets. I believe the ref should have been empowered to dish out a red for such an awful foul - only then will players like Chiellini think twice before engaging in such ugly 'defending'.
    I wouldn't want a player like him in my side.

I completely agree. Although it's an accepted part of the game, for me, tactical fouling is simply cheating and no different to players diving. A red card would have been completely justified in my opinion, but whilst players know they can get away with just a yellow card, they will continue to do so as the reward completely outweighs the risk.

Not sure I agree. It wasn't enough for a straight red, and he knew it. Italy have had generations of great defenders and defences, and one of the reasons is that they are true experts in the dark arts of football. I don't like it, but they are masters of that side of the game.

The foul on Grealish, however, was a straight red all day long. Shocking decision that one.

In my opinion the game is crying out for a sin bin. A yellow card and 10 minutes in the bin would get rid of this last player/goal scoring opportunity/serious foul play grey area.

I'm afraid that the more cynical approach to the game that the Italians have adopted down the years is the reason why they often win tournaments and we've won f all in 55 years.

Do what Chiellini did in Rugby and you'd see red. It was violent conduct. It wasn't a pull back, he deliberately went for the collar, it was a straight red and I'm shocked VAR didn't get involved

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Do what Chiellini did in Rugby and you'd see red. It was violent conduct. It wasn't a pull back, he deliberately went for the collar, it was a straight red and I'm shocked VAR didn't get involved
    I agree it was more violent than the average pullback but I reckon it was a yellow. If Sako had gone down clutching his throat and all the players had irately surrounded the ref, they might have got a red, but 95 times out of 100 you'll get a yellow for that.

The tackle on Grealish was a straight red any day of the week. I can only think the fact that it was Jorghino (not 'that type' of player), it was late in the game, it was a final, and again the lack of pressure from the England players, led the ref to only give a yellow.

It is puzzling why CAR wasn't used more.

Both orange cards for me, I like the suggestion of a yellow card + sin bin for these type of offences. They should be called orange card offences naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post

It is puzzling why CAR wasn't used more.
    I have to agree although my wife thinks it is stupid.
    I would love to be in control of the remote box to bring those footballs onto the pitch!
    Chortle chortle.

Back on topic, for me red card for the Saka drag back and for the disgraceful challenge on Jack.
    I also thought Sterlings appeal for a penalty was justified as the Italians knee went into Sterlings left leg.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast