+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Euro 2020 Review

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Steady on Swissclaret you are starting to come across as intelligent.

Intelligence does not work on here.
    We might not be very bright BT, but we have that waster Gareth Southgate sussed, and no mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Makes you wonder doesn't it Norder, they can close down the President of the USA when it suits them, but racist halfwits can post their bilge as and when they like. Something a bit fishy about that.
    the agenda....it whatever they decide, whenever and for whoever they decide it - Sinkov.....in other words, online fascism.

but go to the root of it - the early days, and governments/intelligence agencies knew the value of data gathering/manipulation, it's power to shape etc....they invested (grants) in its future - so whatever we see today, however they spin it, is a collaboration of big tech and the PTB...are as one, just as all connected, their online ( inc home gadgets) footprints analysed and stored in massive digital data banks that suck enough power to feed small countries - it isn't called the Net for nothing.

El Capitan - the next big thing in supercomputers, will be able to perform at - 2 exaflops, thats... 2 quintillion calculations per second.

i'll let you work that out.

Overall the tournament went better for England than I for one expected.
    Sure I was hopeful we'd do well but when it started I expected France or Belgium to win it with us as also-rans fighting it out with Portugal, Germany, Spain and Italy - but we benefited from the draw, the home advantage, and a slice or two of luck and somehow made the final.

The English media inundate us with how good the England players are and throw about terms like "world class" without any understanding of just how good many foreign players are - but we ain't bad either.

However to win this tournament we would have needed everyone to play at their best and the team to gel going forward but sadly neither happened, at least not often enough.

Southgate had a go at doing it his way and may get the accolades for getting us to the final but everyone and their dog could see there simply wasn't enough bravery in selection and tactics to get to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Excellent review Outwood, I'd just like to add that we also learnt that the way our top referees operate, and the way we use VAR in the Premier League, leaves a lot to be desired. By and large the refs did well, they tried their best to keep the games flowing and the use of VAR was kept to a minimum, it was not too intrusive. You'd hope lessons would be learnt here, and we'll see a much needed improvement next season, but I won't be holding my breath.
    I agree about the refereeing sinkov. I watched most of the matches in the Championships and it was refreshing to note how in general it took place without fuss. Lessons should be learnt here but of course cynics as we are we know they will not!

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

the agenda....it whatever they decide, whenever and for whoever they decide it - Sinkov.....in other words, online fascism.

but go to the root of it - the early days, and governments/intelligence agencies knew the value of data gathering/manipulation, it's power to shape etc....they invested (grants) in its future - so whatever we see today, however they spin it, is a collaboration of big tech and the PTB...are as one, just as all connected, their online ( inc home gadgets) footprints analysed and stored in massive digital data banks that suck enough power to feed small countries - it isn't called the Net for nothing.

El Capitan - the next big thing in supercomputers, will be able to perform at - 2 exaflops, thats... 2 quintillion calculations per second.

i'll let you work that out.

Well said Norder.

I am re- reading 1984 at the moment. Scary parallels with how we now live, how technology is being used. CCTV is endemic, smart phones store and give access to miriad data, health records are to be shared and so in. All sold as “progress” or “for the general good”.

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely - with thanks to Lord Acton for the quote

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Well said Norder.

I am re- reading 1984 at the moment. Scary parallels with how we now live, how technology is being used. CCTV is endemic, smart phones store and give access to miriad data, health records are to be shared and so in. All sold as “progress” or “for the general good”.

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely - with thanks to Lord Acton for the quote
    hair raising it is - Swiss...I know a lady (uk based) who rights articles, that of recent, are mostly for the U.S market....being why she's had reason to gather high tech info - from Silicon valley....and a word for it, she used - Scary !

and there's no debate on it..... no questioning it's influence or fallout .....because I don't think the majority give a damn, as long as they get their fill and fix of the latest abortive gizmo - the next industrial mutation, is once again.... given free passage to drop anchor and claim the territory, "our future", as it's own.

anyhow, back to the football, our latest signing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)