+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: O/T:- Football & Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "they have no direct place". If footballers want to have a place in a political cause, why should they be denied?
    I just dont see what Marcus Rashford is doing as political in anyway. Its just the right thing. Regardless of who is in power.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I think we are never getting back to normal, as long as we listen to the scientists. There is a good chance the world will have ended from global warming, before normality resumes, if the scientists stay in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    I think we are never getting back to normal, as long as we listen to the scientists. There is a good chance the world will have ended from global warming, before normality resumes, if the scientists stay in charge.

I agree with ''getting back to normal'', we should do it A.S.A.P. But would it hurt to err on the side of caution till at least next Spring/Summer? ie; the Gov recommending mask wearing and S/D rather than it being left up to individual choice wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially given that cases of C19 are on the rise at the minute due to a particularly virulent strain

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Electing Corbyn as leader did the Labour Party no favours. I've no doubt whatsoever that he is an honest and honorable man but his affiliation with some rather ''radical'' groups who he insisted were his ''friends'' made him such an easy target. At the time he was elected, it was decided to open up the voting for the leadership contest to make it more ''inclusive''. I think it was an initiative/idea from Ed Miliband if I remember correctly. You paid a few quid and that made you an ''affiliate member'' which gave you the right to vote in any Leadership contest. Of course, every Tory and his dog joined up for the sole reason of voting for Corbyn and making sure that he won the contest. You couldn't make it up? Anyhoo, makes you wonder what would have happened if Andy Burnham had won, as I believe he would have done before the voting rules were changed. On such small things, ay?
    Margaret Beckett was to blame for allowing Corbyn to stand in the first place giving him his 32nd nomination at the last minute, thinking he had no chance of winning the leadership. A decision she's gone on record to say it was a big mistake.

Mandatory patriotism has just (yesterday) been forced upon football clubs in Ukraine, a new law dictates that all clubs must have a badge visible on their kits for all domestic 2021/22 fixtures including the slogans ‘Glory to Ukraine" and "Glory to the Heroes". It must be placed in the middle of the chest, between club badge and kit manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    "Scientists differ. It is in the nature of scientific inquiry that they do. They are not priests speaking from authority, and their status results purely from their use of the scientific method, experimental, testable, falsifiable, constantly questioning.
    Non-scientists are quite entitled to question statements made by persons who are scientists but who are not at that time adhering to the scientific method. Indeed, they are rather obliged to."

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Exactly this. Rashford has not come out on the campaign trail with any particular party. He is trying to do what he sees as the right thing to support some of the poorest in the country as he understands what it was like growing up poor.

Mings also criticised the home secretary not because she is a Tory but because of what she specifically said pre-tournament. He understands what it is like to be racially abused. Patel should have known better, but that doesn't quite appeal enough to the Tory base.

The Tories have made a massive error in singling out footballers for criticism recently (Hancock said footballers should take a pay-cut at the start of the pandemic) because they are well paid and most at the elite level are millionaires in their own right. They didn't bank on them being articulate in their response nor did they appreciate the platform that many of them have with social media.

It is noticeable that this government only reserved their critisism for this type of rich person, the self-made with a working class background. They have been quite happy to feather the nests of other multi-millionaire Tory donors during this time with meaty over-priced government contracts.

Does anyone know why the England football team have not been invited to Downing Street this year? They were after the last World Cup.
    Excellent post.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456