+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Villa Songs

Villa Songs

Is it just me or does anyone else think our fans need to widen our song repertoire? Don't get me wrong I do like 'the stands of Villa Park' when the crowd are in full voice and we do have one or two others but I do think we need to add to them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe bring back some of the old ones? I use to love the hearing the following being belted out by the Holte :

When you’re smiling,
    When you’re smiling,
    The Holte End smiles with you.
    When you’re laughing,
    When you’re laughing,
    The sun comes shining through.
    So stop your crying,
    You’ll bring on the rain.
    So start your smiling,
    Be happy again!
    So when you’re smiling,
    When you’re smiling,
    Lala lala la
    Lala lala la
    The Holte … End … smiles … with … yoooooou!

Listening to ii Ashley Ashley young again will be nice.

Come to Birmingham you will see,
    Ansells Brewery M&B,
    We don’t drink whiskey and we don’t drink rum,
    We are the Villa boys from Brum,

Goes way back to our Third Division days.

I'd quite like the ghost riders in the sky to be sung to the right tune.

Super super OL, super super OL, Super Ollie Watkins. Sung as if singing about Jack........☹😔🤭

OMG Mondaze, I thought I was the only one that was irritated by the wrong tune being sung to Holte Enders in the sky.
    They should all listen to Johnny Cash sing Ghost Riders and learn the tune properly.

When I sat in the Trinity Road stand as a young season ticket holder and listened to the Hole in full voice singing it properly, it used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end

now its like an x-factor failed reboot

The reason the Holte somehow managed to keep in tune, was the verses that accompanied the chant. There were quite a few verses, full of fighting talk and derision of the blue half of the City, but they helped to keep the tune in place. All of the verses were sung on away journeys, but usually, just the one (usually this one) to get the Holte going.

We took the mighty Stretford End,
    We took the mighty Kop,
    We took the ‘effing’ Chelsea Shed,
    We took the ‘effing’ lot.
    And if you are a City fan, surrender or you’ll die,
    Cos we’re the Villa boot boys, and we’re coming after you…
    Yippee aye eh, etc

It reads ridiculously now, but that’s how things were back then.

I used to like 'We hate, oh, we hate , the city'. A favourite, in fact, along with 'There's a Circus in the town'.

And whatever happened to the simple ' Come on you lions!'

'C'mon you Lions' is a chant, not a song. During the 70s n 80s, the songs were all like the above. Probably why attendances were low, especially families.

Not defending the songs, it's just how it was. The 'nice' ones were 'My eyes have seen the glory of the Villa win the cup' and 'She wheels her wheelbarrow'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)