+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season is over already?

Season is over already?

On this first half performance our season is looking as if it is going to be very long one with very little to cheer. We have players that can’t control a ball, pass the ball to a teammate 10 yards away. We certainly don’t look as if our players are fit or committed. Absolutely rubbish Alexander is already under pressures 2 games in

That's a bit harsh. I'll never know how KVV failed to get on the score sheet.

Defence is about secure as an MFI wardrobe,

There are obvious causes for concern that need addressed asap but overall today that was a good result and there are positives to take from that. The first half was awful from us and very reminiscent of many matches over the past couple of years. Slow, rigid in the build up, poor finishing and awful defending being punished. However the team deserve huge credit for the character shown in the second half and we deservedly turned the game on it’s head and won it in the end.

Woolery looked promising when he came on and made a material difference and van Veen looks as though he will be a good signing for us, he was unlucky not to score at least once today. And Tony Watt never lets us down with his effort and commitment, two things he’s been heavily criticised for at his previous clubs, but for us he’s done well and he deserved his goal today after another good showing.

We’re not there yet and there are still valid concerns over the team for the season ahead, but they did well today to come back and get the win and it was great for the lucky fans who got in to watch it for us to get a victory.

That's an absolutely mental take.

If this was the final squad to start the season there'd be huge concern but it's not.

As for fitness, Alexander says we're playing 'running through ', we're not expected to look sharp or at peak fitness. That makes perfect sense.

The season may or may not turn out to be a disaster but there's no way of knowing now.

The hand of fate played a cruel card on me and I couldn't make it today. God ... I've missed the 'routine' nature of getting up on a Saturday, feeling de-stressed from work, shufflin about the house with copious half slices of thick buttered toast, and generally 'faffin about', until heading to the boozer at 1230 to hook up with other 'shuffler' colleagues. You wait 16 months to get to a game and some 5hitfest prevents you.
    Regardless of today's performance, I'd dearly have loved to have been there to witness our 'reawakening' (although it sounds like were still asleep for 45 mins). .
    Roll on the 24th
    Last edited by sieb1886; 17-07-2021 at 09:35 PM.

That was pure s***e our season already is aimed at finishing 10th in the league , and on the three showings so far this season we dont look capable of achieving that. Airdrie caused us problems by getting the ball on the deck and running at our defence. We on the other hand are playing high balls up to our forwards who are usually facing towards our own goal. We do not have a dominant midfielder or a recognised goal scorer. It’s alright saying we have players who have still to come back into the team and others who have to reach acceptable fitness levels, but if your tactics are wrong from the first minute it won’t matter who we have in the team. Example being we have a free kick late in the first half, the sun is in the Airdrie keepers eyes and we proceed to take a short free kick which ends up all the way back in our half. You cant win games by not scoring and we aren’t even prepared to try to score. I predict this is going to be an absolutely miserable season for us and their appears to be nothing to give us a glimmer of hope. These players are meant to be full time professionals, yet our front three look as if they have never played together or have any idea of where each of them is meant to be playing. Alexander has to get the finger out and start to be ruthless with one or two before his position is on the line

Our front three have known each other a few weeks and have indeed hardly played together.

No excuses, that was awful. If that's the line-up for the league we're in deep bother. I still don't think it will be.

A massive concern though is O'Hara and Donnelly will almost certainly not be ready. The pair of them being fit and available would hardly turn us into world beaters but them and one new midfielder (surely likely) would be a massive improvement on the three tonight. Each of them could - maybe - get away with being the worst player in a three, all together was absolutely shocking.

How Alexander watched that 45 mins and didn't make a change and half-time I'll never know.

Watt needs to be in the middle behind a front pair of KVV and Woolley as we simply don't have the players to play three across the front. And quite what has happened to Lawless since his time with Livi is anyone's guess but atm he's an absolute waste of a shirt.

You wouldn't say Alexander's jacket is on a shaky peg only because we go out the LC - if we don't turn things round on Saturday obviously - but between this group stage and the approach to last season, regardless of results, he certainly has little credit in the bank if he makes a bad start to the league. And while you hope Hibs and St Johnstone are distracted by Europe, it's not the easiest of starts on paper...

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Our front three have known each other a few weeks and have indeed hardly played together.

No excuses, that was awful. If that's the line-up for the league we're in deep bother. I still don't think it will be.

A massive concern though is O'Hara and Donnelly will almost certainly not be ready. The pair of them being fit and available would hardly turn us into world beaters but them and one new midfielder (surely likely) would be a massive improvement on the three tonight. Each of them could - maybe - get away with being the worst player in a three, all together was absolutely shocking.

How Alexander watched that 45 mins and didn't make a change and half-time I'll never know.

Watt needs to be in the middle behind a front pair of KVV and Woolley as we simply don't have the players to play three across the front. And quite what has happened to Lawless since his time with Livi is anyone's guess but atm he's an absolute waste of a shirt.

You wouldn't say Alexander's jacket is on a shaky peg only because we go out the LC - if we don't turn things round on Saturday obviously - but between this group stage and the approach to last season, regardless of results, he certainly has little credit in the bank if he makes a bad start to the league. And while you hope Hibs and St Johnstone are distracted by Europe, it's not the easiest of starts on paper...
    If I'm correct, I recall reading when GA was appointed that a big part of the deal was 'all the contacts and access to great players in England'.

Hello !!?

I've seen nowt since his appointment to endear me to his methods. And, if his pre / post-match interviews are 'owt to go by, how he can cajole and motivate players he's in charge of ... Fekk me !!

Last night was totally unacceptable, nothing more needs said as anyone who saw it will have seen our failings.

What I would say though and this in no way excuses last night, is that I wouldn’t read too much into a Motherwell no show in a Lanarkshire derby, especially in a Cup game. I’ve seen far better Motherwell sides than this lot get turned over by Airdrie and Accies over the years and it’s the same old story nearly every time…we are never as up for it as they are and end up outfought and very often beaten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)