+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Season is over already?

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Last night was totally unacceptable, nothing more needs said as anyone who saw it will have seen our failings.

What I would say though and this in no way excuses last night, is that I wouldn’t read too much into a Motherwell no show in a Lanarkshire derby, especially in a Cup game. I’ve seen far better Motherwell sides than this lot get turned over by Airdrie and Accies over the years and it’s the same old story nearly every time…we are never as up for it as they are and end up outfought and very often beaten.
    If so called PROFESSIONAL footballers can’t get themselves fired up for a “derby game” then they shouldn’t be at the club. All week in interviews Alexander stated that he was being reminded from all quarters within the club the importance of the derby game. We are already a team of halfhearted individuals who I hope I am totally wrong about but IMO we will not finish above11th in the league. We have no leaders in defence or midfield and certainly don’t have a natural goalscorer. The only tactics we seem to know are those little white mints you get. If you don’t buy a ticket you can’t win a lottery, similarly if you don’t have shots at your opponents goal you ain’t going to score and win many games. Players out injured at present might make a difference to the team but we will have to wait until they reach the required fitness levels, by that time we could have already played and lost 6-9 games

We saw performances like that on several occasions last season. Players playing half heartedly, no leadership, no direction, very little in the way of creativity and inevitably no goals.

It might be early days and unfair to judge the manager and this team just now but you can’t help but be highly concerned about the team and the season ahead. Yet again we have failed to bring in the right players and are stuck with players simply going through the motions and sub standard players plucked from the @rse end of English football. Not to mention Connor Shields, a player signed and injured already, is he going to be this season’s Casper Sloth?

I must admit also that Graham Alexander’s demeanour and interview after the game last night is a worry. Apart from basically saying the same old tired lines about “good, honest pros”, “it just didn’t happen for us”, he looks mightily scunnered and has done since very early on in his tenure. I would not be a bit surprised if he chucked it within the next month or so, especially if we start the league campaign poorly and the support starts to turn on him, which they inevitably will.

I’m not convinced GA is the right man for the job, but like Robinson toward the end of his time, our problems at the club run far, far deeper than the manager.
    Last edited by LawSteelman; 22-07-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Can you elaborate on your point of view re "our problems at the club run far, far deeper than the manager".

Yes.

As I’ve already mentioned, our scouting and recruitment system is utterly deplorable and the amount of dross that we have seen come and go through Fir Park over the past four/five seasons is frightening. For a club that is never done banging on about our limited budget then why are such signings being sanctioned every single summer?

You think of Nolan, Foley, Sloth, Ilic, Fisher, Plummer, Newell who’ve all been brought in since 2017 and they didn’t manage ten games among themselves never mind individually. Then you’ve got Blyth, Bigirimana, Sammon, McCormack, Lamie, White, McGinley, Seedorf, Hylton, Aarons- all who either contributed nothing or were completely out of their depth.

I accept that we do our transfer business in a particular market but who is scouting this dross? We are literally bringing in at least half a dozen in each summer, mostly plucked from the lower reaches of English football and basically hoping to find one decent one from the lot. Again, who scouts this and who higher up in the club allows this to happen again and again and again?

We've just binned the chief scout to bring in a new one, presumably on the say of - or at least in heavy consultation with - the new manager?

Might work, might not, but probably worth at least a full transfer window before first judgement is delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Yes.

As I’ve already mentioned, our scouting and recruitment system is utterly deplorable and the amount of dross that we have seen come and go through Fir Park over the past four/five seasons is frightening. For a club that is never done banging on about our limited budget then why are such signings being sanctioned every single summer?

You think of Nolan, Foley, Sloth, Ilic, Fisher, Plummer, Newell who’ve all been brought in since 2017 and they didn’t manage ten games among themselves never mind individually. Then you’ve got Blyth, Bigirimana, Sammon, McCormack, Lamie, White, McGinley, Seedorf, Hylton, Aarons- all who either contributed nothing or were completely out of their depth.

I accept that we do our transfer business in a particular market but who is scouting this dross? We are literally bringing in at least half a dozen in each summer, mostly plucked from the lower reaches of English football and basically hoping to find one decent one from the lot. Again, who scouts this and who higher up in the club allows this to happen again and again and again?
    Not a lot to disagree with there tbh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)