+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The '61 League Cup Final team

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Just checked Wiki and Eddie O’Hara moved to South Africa in the 60s and died there so unlikely to be him so George Darwin more likely. However he only had the one season with the Millers (60/61) appeared twice and was not a local man so also sounds a bit doubtful. I wonder if there were other players in the squad that season but didnt feature in the Cup campaign?
    Yes CT it possibly was. Looking at the photos on the official website article about the passing of Keith Bambridge, who is the tall one in the last couple of pictures who towers over Keith and Brecks?

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/20...-friend-keith/

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Yes CT it possibly was. Looking at the photos on the official website article about the passing of Keith Bambridge, who is the tall one in the last couple of pictures who towers over Keith and Brecks?

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/20...-friend-keith/
    That looks like Peter Madden, CAM.

I added to my last post after you replied - suggesting Colin Smith who was with us for just the 60/61 season and made nine appearances but not in the Cup campaign. He was from Doncaster, is still alive and was also tall!

what a team that was, went to both games, the delay in playing second leg suited villa has they had a better side for second leg, truly believe if we had played both legs same season our names would have been on that trophy, if my memory serves me correctly we beat leeds united 3 times that season, home and away league and early round in said league cup. think leeds went on to sign eddie ohara following season. happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ldt1mer View Post
    what a team that was, went to both games, the delay in playing second leg suited villa has they had a better side for second leg, truly believe if we had played both legs same season our names would have been on that trophy, if my memory serves me correctly we beat leeds united 3 times that season, home and away league and early round in said league cup. think leeds went on to sign eddie ohara following season. happy days.
    According to Wiki the games were only played 2 weeks apart, August 22nd and September 5th 1961. Villa did change 5 players whereas the Millers kept the same team. Maybe their manager saw something in the first leg and made the necessary adjustments?

corrections

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    According to Wiki the games were only played 2 weeks apart, August 22nd and September 5th 1961. Villa did change 5 players whereas the Millers kept the same team. Maybe their manager saw something in the first leg and made the necessary adjustments?
    you are correct, how age affects ones memory, the delay was in actually playing villa, played both semis in march 61 against shrewsbury, then final legs v villa aug and sep, the player that went to leeds was don weston, eddie ohara went to barnsley.

Just to let you know that I emailed the club about this and received a very helpful reply. They are aware of the anniversary and internal discussions on the subject appear to be underway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12