+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK Dons

MK Dons

So...here we are, 5 of the next 6 1st team games are at home. With a bit of support, this could be a springboard for a revival or at least to put a break on the form so far. MKD are a passing team. They started this last season but needed time to settle into it and so we beat them twice. The shoe is now on the other foot and we have the not-yet-settled-side and they have grown into the approach. For one of their recent games they recorded over 630 passes in 90 minutes. We know what it's like to play like this but can we impose ourselves on them? We can if we get in their faces straight away. We mustn't give them room. The other fight is over who can keep possession for longer. So who do we choose to fit the bill? Well Lowery for his pressing and possession and Gomes for his pressing and movement. Robertson is automatic. I would suggest that Daniels is not to be picked for this one but I think BSD deserves to continue. Would Thomas, carrying the ball out of defence be the ideal partner or Offord with his reading of the game? Not sure, what do you think? Otherwise I would continue with Adebisi and MacFazdean.
    Up front, it must be Mandron starting and as it should be a passing game, Long can only benefit. So the final position.... should Bennett be given the chance to take them on or would Kashket's buzzing around unsettle their defence more?
    Result? 2-1 to the Alex. (i must be becoming an optimist!!)

[QUOTE=gazan;39898295]So...here we are, 5 of the next 6 1st team games are at home. With a bit of support, this could be a springboard for a revival or at least to put a break on the form so far. MKD are a passing team. They started this last season but needed time to settle into it and so we beat them twice. The shoe is now on the other foot and we have the not-yet-settled-side and they have grown into the approach. For one of their recent games they recorded over 630 passes in 90 minutes. We know what it's like to play like this but can we impose ourselves on them? We can if we get in their faces straight away. We mustn't give them room. The other fight is over who can keep possession for longer. So who do we choose to fit the bill? Well Lowery for his pressing and possession and Gomes for his pressing and movement. Robertson is automatic. I would suggest that Daniels is not to be picked for this one but I think BSD deserves to continue. Would Thomas, carrying the ball out of defence be the ideal partner or Offord with his reading of the game? Not sure, what do you think? Otherwise I would continue with Adebisi and MacFazdean.
    Up front, it must be Mandron starting and as it should be a passing game, Long can only benefit. So the final position.... should Bennett be given the chance to take them on or would Kashket's buzzing around unsettle their defence more?
    Result? 2-1 to the Alex. (i must be becoming an optimist!!)[/Q

Would like to see 4-4-2 but I don’t think we have the personnel for that and i hate to see players playing out of position so suspect 4-4-3 and a 1-4 home pasting to boot.

Suspect a 4-1 win if we play 4-4-3 ...

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Suspect a 4-1 win if we play 4-4-3 ...
    Nice one! (Unless that meant playing without a Keeper ...)

What will actually happen who knows - I have a hunch for a win but couldn't predict a score on any basis!

Oh dear! DA says they have learned lessons from last Saturday. Hopefully, this is nothing like the 'benefits' of the international break. I feel my optimism ebbing.

BSD to start, Connor Salisbury to come off the bench and score a last minute winner ...

2-1 to the Alex

Well. I don't know what to make of that. Lost 4-1 at home, in a game where we were the better team for the majority of it. Poor refereeing, and a crumbly midfield contributed to the defeat, but I wouldn't describe the team or the performance as 'utter garbage' like is happening on other threads, and I certainly won't be calling for DAs head just yet. I do agree that we shouldn't be playing 4-3-3 however (Yes. I do know that what we played today more resembled a 4-2-3-1, with first Lowery, and then Knight, operating just behind the front man). When you have a good look at our squad, we're just not equipped for a 4-3-3, or a 4-2-3-1. We only have one out and out wide player, in Bennet. Ainley and Knight are a number 10, playing in behind the striker(s) and Long and Kashkett are strikers. The squad we have lends itself to playing either the 5-3-2, like we did at Wycombe, or a 4-4-2 narrow diamond formation. We need some steel in the midfield. I know we already have a lot of central midfield options, but I do think we need that player that can screen the back four or three, depending on formation. I feel that, in January, that has to be our priority. Our defence looked ok today. The only time they struggled was when our midfield evaporated, leaving our defence exposed, with overloads in the wide areas. At least two of their goals came from that exact scenario.

On the flip side. As far as I could see from where I sat, their first and last goals were offside. For their first goal, I immediately looked across, expecting to see the flag up, only to see the linesman still stood there, trying to see what was going on, whilst shading his eyes. Quite blatantly, he couldn't see a thing, and we end up getting punished. A word also fro the ref. SHOCKING!!! I'm the first to defence ref's. They have a really difficult job to do, and should, generally, be given the benefit of the doubt. Today's ref though was just terrible. Weak, indecisive and blatantly pandering to the bigger team. Every fifty/fifty went the way of MK Dons, they were allowed steal as many yards as they liked, whilst we were penalised for taking a step away from where the ref thought the throw should be taken from, it was never a penalty (Will quite blatantly got a hand to the ball. The ball changed direction away from Will(, and the farce of first playing advantage... until it looked like we were actually going to get an advantage. then he blows up, and brings it back for a foul. Truly awful. The worst ref performance I've seen in many a year.

Conclusion? We have a lot of work to do to get ourselves organised defensively. We're starting to look more consistently threatening going forward. DA and KL are still adjusting to the fact that this squad doesn't have that instinctive knowledge and cohesion that every squad he's had since he took the reins has had. This group of players has not been playing together since they were in junior school. You can't chop and change the squad in the same way, and get that consistent level of performance that we have in previous years. We need a central midfielder who can protect the defensive line. We need to play formations that play to our squad's strengths

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    Well. I don't know what to make of that. Lost 4-1 at home, in a game where we were the better team for the majority of it. Poor refereeing, and a crumbly midfield contributed to the defeat, but I wouldn't describe the team or the performance as 'utter garbage' like is happening on other threads, and I certainly won't be calling for DAs head just yet. I do agree that we shouldn't be playing 4-3-3 however (Yes. I do know that what we played today more resembled a 4-2-3-1, with first Lowery, and then Knight, operating just behind the front man). When you have a good look at our squad, we're just not equipped for a 4-3-3, or a 4-2-3-1. We only have one out and out wide player, in Bennet. Ainley and Knight are a number 10, playing in behind the striker(s) and Long and Kashkett are strikers. The squad we have lends itself to playing either the 5-3-2, like we did at Wycombe, or a 4-4-2 narrow diamond formation. We need some steel in the midfield. I know we already have a lot of central midfield options, but I do think we need that player that can screen the back four or three, depending on formation. I feel that, in January, that has to be our priority. Our defence looked ok today. The only time they struggled was when our midfield evaporated, leaving our defence exposed, with overloads in the wide areas. At least two of their goals came from that exact scenario.

On the flip side. As far as I could see from where I sat, their first and last goals were offside. For their first goal, I immediately looked across, expecting to see the flag up, only to see the linesman still stood there, trying to see what was going on, whilst shading his eyes. Quite blatantly, he couldn't see a thing, and we end up getting punished. A word also fro the ref. SHOCKING!!! I'm the first to defence ref's. They have a really difficult job to do, and should, generally, be given the benefit of the doubt. Today's ref though was just terrible. Weak, indecisive and blatantly pandering to the bigger team. Every fifty/fifty went the way of MK Dons, they were allowed steal as many yards as they liked, whilst we were penalised for taking a step away from where the ref thought the throw should be taken from, it was never a penalty (Will quite blatantly got a hand to the ball. The ball changed direction away from Will(, and the farce of first playing advantage... until it looked like we were actually going to get an advantage. then he blows up, and brings it back for a foul. Truly awful. The worst ref performance I've seen in many a year.

Conclusion? We have a lot of work to do to get ourselves organised defensively. We're starting to look more consistently threatening going forward. DA and KL are still adjusting to the fact that this squad doesn't have that instinctive knowledge and cohesion that every squad he's had since he took the reins has had. This group of players has not been playing together since they were in junior school. You can't chop and change the squad in the same way, and get that consistent level of performance that we have in previous years. We need a central midfielder who can protect the defensive line. We need to play formations that play to our squad's strengths
    I will let the table be my shield to defend my assessment of what I consider to be garbage after garbage week in week out, players playing out of position to satisfy our 1 trick pony of a manager who thinks 4-3-3 is our best formation. You could see a month ago that 3 in midfield was suicide it’s shame that our manager (not for to much longer if the rumours are to be believed) hasn’t seen it. I think he is just clutching at straws and has not got a clue which are his best players and what is our strongest formation and he cannot be allowed to carry on we are heading for relegation before new year.

To just say it was garbage is to simply (but understandably) be emotional about the final result. Of course the result IS garbage but that, overall, was a pretty even game. However, where I will disagree with Armchair G is that it WAS the fault of the back line, more specifically Daniels and MacFazdean. All four goals came from players (1 from Daniels and 3 MacF) being out of position. MacF was consistently in the wrong place giving a nippy winger a couple of yards start - I'm beginning to think that Sunderland website was correct - he cannot defend. Give him credit for his part in our goal and the Harry Pickering-like overlapping.
    However, I was shocked that Daniels was selected. He's strong and reasonably decent in the air but he can't pass, control the ball, can't turn and is extremely slow. So play him against Wycombe but not against a passing team!
    Remember early in the season when we were all excited about Bennett? So what's happened? He no longer takes players on but always pulls up and moves back in the centre. Which links nicely into another point. The team seems to be playing by numbers. I'm all for playing out from the back but the players have got to understand why they're doing it. Too often they seem to be going through the motions because they've been told to do it that way. Too often, as well, they move forward and then stop and play sideways across the pitch. The best flowing move we were involved in created our goal. However, that was the exception. Too many times we play sideways and backwards and give the opposition time to regain shape. This is why, once again, we only had one shot on target. The forcing forward players to stick out wide on the touchline is also a contributing factor as we never have enough players in the box when we eventually get there. And are the training pitches extra wide at Reaseheath as corners (that don't hit the first defender) often seem to be overhit. OR do we NEVER practice with people arriving round the back????
    So as said by other posters we need two upfront, otherwise if I was Mandron and Long, I'd go to Wrexham along with everybody else.

I agree - pretty even game against frankly not a very good opponent - they're flattered by their league position I feel. We started well and if that first minute ball in had hit a toe, and/or Rio's header had gone in before they broke upfield for the opener I genuinely think we'd have gone on to win. We suffered from the goal, but when we equalized were playing OK again and really might have gone on to that much needed win.

Couldn't understand the Knight for Murphy sub though, so we went down to 2 proper midfielders when 3 wasn't enough! Looked horribly like the Thordarsson days just before he left, when going behind meant we ended the game with 5 strikers (who couldn't strike) and 1 midfielder, as we chased a goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast