+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We need a defensive coach urgently

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Coming from Scandinavian football isn't like coming from South America, defending set pieces has to be a big feature of play in Norway/Sweden.
    Then again a Head Coach might want to delegate that area...but wouldn't Doyle have enough experience to do it?

I think Cameron, Rawlinson, Lacey, Wootton, plus an experienced keeper in Slocombe is more than a good start..
    What we need then is the likes of Brindley, Chicksen to toughen up (necessary if they're going to be in 3 a lot of the time), make life as hard for the attackers as possible, never flinch and expect and accept a nut to the face as part of the job I'm not sure they really embraced that part of the job last season and that has to change

Also, with Reeves and Doyle gone - we will be a taller team overall most probably.
    I don't think this has to be an Achilles heel, so no need for IB to call in the cavalry before he even has his squad!
    Cameron is a huge improvement in this area. Also if Lacey is back, that's 3 centre halves that can head a ball playing rather than just the 2 you get in a back 4.

Brindley playing RWB adds height over DKE and Miller was next to useless in the air, so hopefully Taylor is an improvement in this area.

Add a physical centre mid and we should be ok

You worry too much Kelton, a good manager and AM don't need a defensive coach as well at our level, the plays they face aren't complicated enough, as others have said stop the cross or win the ball once in the area. We have had problems in first cutting out the cross and then faffing about with it comically until they score when it drops in the box but I think IB won't stand for this and will have the tactical knowledge to cut it out in the main although when alot of the teams you play, that's their was of playing and having big lumps in the box so you are going to let in one or two that way naturally.

Kelton continues to make a good point and highlight the main issue under IB. We do need to tighten up if we want to get promoted. I completely agree with CFs point about stopping so many crosses , which is the main issue for me.

However he is only focusing on one side of the coin which I find strange. I don't hear his praise of the attacking side of things under IB? Let's be honest there has been plenty of opportunities.

Kelton where were the similar complaints when we weren't scoring enough under NA? Or do you only focus on the defensive side of the game?

No we don't want a defensive coach, just need players doing their jobs in each part of the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Hang on a minute. Ardley was vilified for being a ‘defensive’ coach.
    We have a coach now who wants us on the front foot and attacking teams. That might leave us exposed at times but thats how IB wants us to play.
    In terms of defending from set plays, it’s a relatively simple concept. Mark your man or zone. And win your header. The problems Notts have had is that we don’t or haven’t had enough height in the team and so it’s easier to expose that and blame it on poor defending. Teams look for a mismatch. If you put a ball into an area where we have 2 players over 6ft but the opposition have 4, then statistically speaking they will win some of those headers.
    As some have already said, conceding hasn’t been a massive issue. No real concerns for me.
    I'd have thought you would have worked out by now that Kelton is actually Ardley.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I'd have thought you would have worked out by now that Kelton is actually Ardley.
    QLD don't start that game again! lol.

If Kelton is then Neal has multiple accounts cos I'm one of a few who have been identified by amateur detectives as our former manager on here.

I'm Neal Ardley and so is my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Your children must look interesting 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Hang on a minute. Ardley was vilified for being a ‘defensive’ coach.
    We have a coach now who wants us on the front foot and attacking teams. That might leave us exposed at times but thats how IB wants us to play.
    In terms of defending from set plays, it’s a relatively simple concept. Mark your man or zone. And win your header. The problems Notts have had is that we don’t or haven’t had enough height in the team and so it’s easier to expose that and blame it on poor defending. Teams look for a mismatch. If you put a ball into an area where we have 2 players over 6ft but the opposition have 4, then statistically speaking they will win some of those headers.
    As some have already said, conceding hasn’t been a massive issue. No real concerns for me.

We conceded 6 goals in two play off games!!!!!!
    No problem that?????

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast