+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: v Sheep (a)

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Have you watched the games?
    no he/she/her/him/<insert pronoun> clearly hasnt

Mcnulty played most of his games wide on the right, not upfront beside shankland.That was one of the main complaints against him.

Hibs at hampden in cup semi. BBC website report

Mehmet

Smith. Edwards. Reynolds. Robson

Harkes Butcher. Fuchs

Mcnulty. Shankland. Clark

Although you are right he did play majority of his games out wide it was never when we played a back 3. That was by the end of the season when we had reverted to a 433/4231. Whenever we did play the 3 at the back he was up top with Shankland with normally Clark behind them as a 10

I didn't say Mellon played 343. I said he played 3 upfront. That was for most of the second half of the season, when shankland was completely isolated having 60 yard 'passes' shelled at his throat. Whether it's 343 or 433, in my opinion it doesn't suit our best striker.

I know you didn't. You said we should play 352 if we are to persist with the 3 at the back but I was saying that was the formation that Mellon played last season.

Problem with 352 is that you need a Scott Allan type player in the centre of the 5, given a free role to create for your strikers and/or very good wing backs. Not sure we have the wing backs and damned sure that none of butcher, harkes or fuchs could be described as being in the same mould as Scott Allan or as being 'creative'. Declan Glass, Chris Mochrie and Peter Pawlett would be the players at the club currently who could play that role. Unfortunately, Pawlett flatters to deceive most of the time, Glass I assume, is still injured, and Mochrie is very inexperienced at our level, although I think he should be given a chance. Still think Chalmers might have the vision and trickery to play there. Don't think he's a winger to be honest.

Seigrest
    Freeman, K Smith, Edwards, Mulgrew, Robson
    Fuchs, New Signing
    Mochrie
    Shankland, Clark

Quote Originally Posted by swanny14 View Post
    Problem with 352 is that you need a Scott Allan type player in the centre of the 5, given a free role to create for your strikers and/or very good wing backs. Not sure we have the wing backs and damned sure that none of butcher, harkes or fuchs could be described as being in the same mould as Scott Allan or as being 'creative'. Declan Glass, Chris Mochrie and Peter Pawlett would be the players at the club currently who could play that role. Unfortunately, Pawlett flatters to deceive most of the time, Glass I assume, is still injured, and Mochrie is very inexperienced at our level, although I think he should be given a chance. Still think Chalmers might have the vision and trickery to play there. Don't think he's a winger to be honest.
    I'm confused? earlier in the thread you said if we are to persist with the 3 at the back, we should play 352 (to get 2 strikers up top) but now your talking about how we need certain players for that system and basically shouldn't play it?

I agree with everything you said regarding the players which is why If i was to play 3 at the back I would play 343 as it doesn't put pressure on 1 player to be the main creator (The scott allan type you suggested) But would allow the 2 behind shankland to get on the ball and be creative. This could be any of the AM's who are all different and can bring different attributes to the formation for example. Chalmers likes to drift out on the right hand side to cut in on his left foot.

I think the 343 would allow more freedom with the attacking players. We can mix up the roles that the players have in the front 3 much better than we could in a 352.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    I'm confused? earlier in the thread you said if we are to persist with the 3 at the back, we should play 352 (to get 2 strikers up top) but now your talking about how we need certain players for that system and basically shouldn't play it?

I agree with everything you said regarding the players which is why If i was to play 3 at the back I would play 343 as it doesn't put pressure on 1 player to be the main creator (The scott allan type you suggested) But would allow the 2 behind shankland to get on the ball and be creative. This could be any of the AM's who are all different and can bring different attributes to the formation for example. Chalmers likes to drift out on the right hand side to cut in on his left foot.

I think the 343 would allow more freedom with the attacking players. We can mix up the roles that the players have in the front 3 much better than we could in a 352.
    I think playing either 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 we still need someone who can pass to play alongside Fuchs in the midfield

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)