+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else feeling positive about the season ?

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    I agree BMG - differing views which is good. You replied to Yarm but in this thread Yarm came back and said we were singing from the same hymn. I will back our new manager to the hilt and have been impressed with him but he can only do so much as could any manager.

I would be sure the overwhelming majority want the Chinese runt out of the club quickly and here lies the problem and that’s the main point.

Villa have not suddenly turned a huge corner because of Smith and Leeds either with Bielsa - it’s the fantastic backing and investment from their respective owners.
    We can agree on your last paragraph but it would take a very brave man to finance success for WBA. If success is based on remaining in the Premiere League, then Villa and Leeds have done that. We did with eight successive years not so long ago. Long term, the problem for those clubs will he maintaining that position most likely without any silverware coming in. Even if one of those sides did manage to do a Leicester City and win the Premier League would a wealthy owner be willing to maintain that success financially. It does happen, Leicester have proved that, but they is a rare case.

I suppose one could say we have had more success than may clubs because of our yo-yo years and then the eight year stint in the top league. The thing is, for that success, if I can call it that, there were equally as many disappointments.

I would love to see Mr Lai sell the club and for someone with the club and fans at heart to come in. But I won’t be holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggiemadguern View Post
    Spot on Yarmbaggie. Some do not like successful people, some don’t like being 4th in a league of 24 teams. Some wanted a wealthy owner and welcomed the wealthy man from China and now don’t want him at the club. Other never wanted the wealthy owner from China but we’re were cast as having no ambition.

Some should be very careful of what they wish for! At the end of the day let’s hope we all get some enjoyment from this coming season. It has to be better than the last one, surely!
    We can agree on your last paragraph but it would take a very brave man to finance success for WBA. If success is based on remaining in the Premiere League, then Villa and Leeds have done that. We did with eight successive years not so long ago. Long term, the problem for those clubs will he maintaining that position most likely without any silverware coming in. Even if one of those sides did manage to do a Leicester City and win the Premier League would a wealthy owner be willing to maintain that success financially. It does happen, Leicester have proved that, but they is a rare case.

I suppose one could say we have had more success than may clubs because of our yo-yo years and then the eight year stint in the top league. The thing is, for that success, if I can call it that, there were equally as many disappointments.

I would love to see Mr Lai sell the club and for someone with the club and fans at heart to come in. But I won’t be holding my breath.

So let’s say he won’t sell the club and pockets the majority of the parachute payment money and the many millions from Pereira and Johnstone sales. what will be your reaction?

Understandably many are getting edgy with the squad that’s been left and almost no additions - is this understandable and not expecting too much?

Despite the fact that, I not surprisingly, would like to see a change of owner, I do think the problem is greater than that.

Football has created this monster where it relies upon wealthy and greedy mega owners or corporations to fill a black hole after mega salaries are paid to multi millionaires to play in front of huge tv audiences around the world, especially the far east and Middle East. To continue all aspects need to be full integrated.

Community clubs like ours are not needed and in fact if anything are a problem the PL model could do without. The top European clubs owners look at our model with envy and want, with our top 6 or so, to break away to form a new league or competition. In my opinion outside of the top clubs the rest of us are all just one bad season away from relegation, and that includes the likes of Villa and Leeds. Recruitment and on the back of that investment becomes paramount.

However, who of the mega rich has not worked out now, (except maybe Lai) that the door is closed and the big bucks are being protected. No one in their right mind would invest say £200 million for a club like ours. The big boys are doing everything they can to protect the status quo and in my opinion the rest of us can go to hell!

Lai out yes but to be honest I don’t think it is going to happen and if and when it does it still won’t make any difference.

In the meantime COYB we will support you no matter what, as we have done so for the last 60 years through thick and thin.

Spot on Yarmbaggie. Some do not like successful people, some don’t like being 4th in a league of 24 teams. Some wanted a wealthy owner and welcomed the wealthy man from China and now don’t want him at the club. Other never wanted the wealthy owner from China but we’re were cast as having no ambition.

Some should be very careful of what they wish for! At the end of the day let’s hope we all get some enjoyment from this coming season. It has to be better than the last one, surely!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Despite the fact that, I not surprisingly, would like to see a change of owner, I do think the problem is greater than that.

Football has created this monster where it relies upon wealthy and greedy mega owners or corporations to fill a black hole after mega salaries are paid to multi millionaires to play in front of huge tv audiences around the world, especially the far east and Middle East. To continue all aspects need to be full integrated.

Community clubs like ours are not needed and in fact if anything are a problem the PL model could do without. The top European clubs owners look at our model with envy and want, with our top 6 or so, to break away to form a new league or competition. In my opinion outside of the top clubs the rest of us are all just one bad season away from relegation, and that includes the likes of Villa and Leeds. Recruitment and on the back of that investment becomes paramount.

However, who of the mega rich has not worked out now, (except maybe Lai) that the door is closed and the big bucks are being protected. No one in their right mind would invest say £200 million for a club like ours. The big boys are doing everything they can to protect the status quo and in my opinion the rest of us can go to hell!

Lai out yes but to be honest I don’t think it is going to happen and if and when it does it still won’t make any difference.

In the meantime COYB we will support you no matter what, as we have done so for the last 60 years through thick and thin.

Don’t disagree with all your points but Lai was robbed with the purchase price but that was his fault. Villa were going nowhere under Smith and doubt whether the new owners spent more than Lai did. Why are they now a top 10 side with players to be envied? When we parked the bus at Vile Park our squad was better than them! We have now it seems become a feeder club for Villa - why has this been allowed to happen? So why Villa and not us? Are we saying Villa got lucky with their owners and we didn’t? The gulf between us and Villa is now huge and all of a sudden one player they have is probably worth half of our club - lock stock and barrel!

Or in my 50 years thin and thin 😭

Don’t disagree with all your points but Lai was robbed with the purchase price but that was his fault. Villa were going nowhere under Smith and doubt whether the new owners spent more than Lai did. Why are they now a top 10 side with players to be envied? When we parked the bus at Vile Park our squad was better than them! We have now it seems become a feeder club for Villa - why has this been allowed to happen? So why Villa and not us? Are we saying Villa got lucky with their owners and we didn’t? The gulf between us and Villa is now huge and all of a sudden one player they have is probably worth half of our club - lock stock and barrel!
    Al football finances changed at the start of the 1992-93 season with the formation of the Premier League.

At the start of that season we were in the third tier playing the likes of Chester City and Hartlepool United in front of crowds often less than 10,000. We finished 4th in that league after being 7th the season before, again in Division 3. Thankfully to cap a ‘great season’ we won at Wembley to go up into what is now the Championship and managed to stay up by coming 21st just beating relegation and Birmingham.

In the same 1992-93 season Villa finished runners up in the Premier league and qualified for Europe which they did for several seasons afterwards in the PL age.

Now that is what I call a huge gulf.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Check the Mick O’meter, within 2 weeks he will either be the new messiah or will have to go! ��
    Hey uncle Dave lol, there's a lot of truth in what that Mick O'meter thing says/posts. Even though it regularly swings both ways of course.

So let’s say he won’t sell the club and pockets the majority of the parachute payment money and the many millions from Pereira and Johnstone sales. what will be your reaction?

Understandably many are getting edgy with the squad that’s been left and almost no additions - is this understandable and not expecting too much?
    Hi but in the 60s we won 2 Cups and lost 2 finals, when we was watching Albion in Europe villa was in the 3rd division and broke.

Well said Yarm buddy.
    I consider we will be challenging for promotion this season. Should we be successful, it will be a relegation dog fight again. The gulf is getting greater.

Notwithstanding, I am looking forward to the season

Good workout this afternoon. Watford 0 Albion 0

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport...om-0---report/
    Side note Stoke 2 villa 0 and villa had a player sent off for a headbutt.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)