+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T to cheer Grist up

Thank **** for that

So basically anyone can be an actor now

Who are “they”

I saw one bloke who is an academic which means he’s never left school saying it and everyone else disagreed with him.

Not sure “they” are trying to stop anything. News programme just found an idiot that has run out of things to get offended about and thought they’d have 20 minutes of jingoism.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Who are “they”

I saw one bloke who is an academic which means he’s never left school saying it and everyone else disagreed with him.

Not sure “they” are trying to stop anything. News programme just found an idiot that has run out of things to get offended about and thought they’d have 20 minutes of jingoism.
    I wondered who "they" is too, as its clearly a ridiculous concept and a non starter.

My prediction is that one person made a controversial statement somewhere and then a right wing website of some description made some click bait headline to get a load of gullible boomers angry and earn more advertising revenue.

Where did you hear this crash?

Sounds like something the Guardian would invent

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Sounds like something the Guardian would invent
    He was an academic from Manchester university. GMB had him on yesterday for bait.

No one took him seriously apart from himself.

He was an academic from Manchester university. GMB had him on yesterday for bait.

No one took him seriously apart from himself.
    Academia though is a cesspit of such stuff.

Who are “they”

In fairness 'they' have been pretty active lately. Here are some examples:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette...h=727e8626cc00

This sort of thing makes me realise just how out of touch I am. I always thought that I was pretty liberal sort of person and I have done my time in the trenches against discrimination in both a personal and professional capacity. Now I realise that I am just an old bigot that intersectionalism passed by.

Personally, I don't care if Anne Boleyn is played by a black actress. The only downside that I can see is that it might confuse school kids. If a person's colour is integral to a story - say a film about Nelson Mandela or Nathan Bedford Forrest then of course the colour of the actor is important, but otherwise surely it's the only the performance that should matter?

Again, I know my post will have some posters shaking their head about how wrong I am, but for me this sort of thing trivialises the issue of discrimination and will ultimately make it harder to address that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

This sort of thing makes me realise just how out of touch I am. I always thought that I was pretty liberal sort of person and I have done my time in the trenches against discrimination in both a personal and professional capacity. Now I realise that I am just an old bigot that intersectionalism passed by.

Personally, I don't care if Anne Boleyn is played by a black actress. The only downside that I can see is that it might confuse school kids. If a person's colour is integral to a story - say a film about Nelson Mandela or Nathan Bedford Forrest then of course the colour of the actor is important, but otherwise surely it's the only the performance that should matter?

Again, I know my post will have some posters shaking their head about how wrong I am, but for me this sort of thing trivialises the issue of discrimination and will ultimately make it harder to address that issue.
    Exactly

Just as taking the knee has polarised views and hardened opinions.

The white supremacist groups must be laughing

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

Bollax. I had discussions with C5 on this. Their defence was that art should be colour blind. I said "Great" but asked why then her family were also black. No response.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast