+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: O/T to cheer Grist up

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Can you point out where the article says that the decisions touched upon were made 'as there are plenty of black actors that need the work also'? I can see where an actress is concerned about 'engaging in an act of erasure of Black people' and one who believes in a monopoly where 'people of color should always voice people of color', but can't see where you got your interpretation.

The reference to the Boleyn film goes back to the comment made by Grist earlier in the thread. If it is authenticity that we seek (as per Kristen Bell's 'more accurate portrayal') then surely the use of a black actress for the part is far 'worse' than the use of white people to voice black characters? I had no idea that Cleveland Brown was voiced by a white person until the Forbes article told me. The historical discrepancy in the Boleyn film will be obvious to all but blind people.

I'm almost proud to say that I had given absolutely no thought to the colour of the person voicing Cleveland Brown for the simple reason that it it doesn't matter.

As I have said, I care not whether Boleyn is played by a black actress. The sign of a good performance is that the audience would quickly not notice such an irrelevance.

I am unsurprised that you can't see the controversy in the Forbes article (particularly in light of the interpretation that you have applied to it) but the danger for people who oppose discrimination in the nonsense that it touches upon is that it plays right into the hands of people who argue that ''they' want special treatment at our expense'. And it is an argument that can resonate, gain purchase and harden attitudes.

It isn't just in respect of racial discrimination where the 'woke' (for want of a better term) are damaging their own cause:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/h...lm-1234699605/

Maybe you will interperet that article as Berry stepping down because there are 'plenty of trans actors that neeed the work also'. I see it as someone who has been put under pressure to give up some work that she had obtained (although she did make it easier by wandering into a 'misgendering' minefield).

I note your reference to culture wars. That expression is the new 'racist' - the latest label from the Left to try to shut down arguments that they don't like. The truth is the Left have been fighting culture wars for the last fif**** years or so - to the point where it is just about all that Labour does (something that the 'red wall' voters have noticed). The left are now raging (see what I did there) about the right stepping on their territory (in every sense) and seizing the agenda that they have driven.
    My reading, in haste, was that the actors were simply that they were declining to any longer play the voices of black characters and whilst you have decided to home in on the rather pretentious claim of one actor (an actor making grand statements, well I never!) I see no other reason to assume that the white actors no longer wishing to take the voices of black characters is to at least some extent practically based on taking work from black actors but yep, no one explicitly said that.

Culture wars is the new racist? I've never heard so much rubbish, and coming from you, that's pushing the bar! You've demonstrated exactly what the culture war is all about - selecting a few quotes from fringe individuals and trying to relate their claims to everyone of the left, as means to discredit the whole political left as extreme. These extreme voices have very little to do with most on the left any more than the beery exploits of the footy lads reflect the views of conservatives. But that doesn't stop you trying to link the two. No surprise with most on here but actually surprise dthat you're joining in that too. But whatever floats yer boat.

And now you're resorting to use the term 'woke'!!! Good God man, you're up there with Piers!

Just out of interest are you saying that just because a black actress plays a historically white character in a drama, that white people should be fine to play black characters, animated or otherwise in a similar way and that's all fine?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    My reading, in haste, was that the actors were simply that they were declining to any longer play the voices of black characters and whilst you have decided to home in on the rather pretentious claim of one actor (an actor making grand statements, well I never!) I see no other reason to assume that the white actors no longer wishing to take the voices of black characters is to at least some extent practically based on taking work from black actors but yep, no one explicitly said that.

Culture wars is the new racist? I've never heard so much rubbish, and coming from you, that's pushing the bar! You've demonstrated exactly what the culture war is all about - selecting a few quotes from fringe individuals and trying to relate their claims to everyone of the left, as means to discredit the whole political left as extreme. These extreme voices have very little to do with most on the left any more than the beery exploits of the footy lads reflect the views of conservatives. But that doesn't stop you trying to link the two. No surprise with most on here but actually surprise dthat you're joining in that too. But whatever floats yer boat.

And now you're resorting to use the term 'woke'!!! Good God man, you're up there with Piers!

Just out of interest are you saying that just because a black actress plays a historically white character in a drama, that white people should be fine to play black characters, animated or otherwise in a similar way and that's all fine?
    The actors are refusing to do the voices because they are jumping on the bandwagon to bolster their failing careers

Simple as that

I had to read this twice just to make sure that I got it right, but it's definitely there -you are complaining about me quoting a reason given by a person in the Forbes article in the same post that you accept making up a reason instead.

I know which approach I prefer. Are you going full on 'post truth'?

I stand by my comments about the new 'culture war' label. It's the fashionable way for elements of the Left to try to shut down arguments that they don't like. If it isn't, you might like to explain why you have suddenly started to use it. Hell, you have even just tried to use it to try to stop me commenting abouts its use. You couldn't make it up.

I have been pretty explict about my views on the Boleyn point. I think the colour of the actor is irrelevant (although I do think it risks having some kids writing history essays in which they say that Henry has her executed because he was a racist). Equally, I think that that white actors should be free to take black parts, unless, like I explained above, the colour of the character is an essential element of the story being told, in which case it would be foolish.

Simple interpretation for Roly: Raging done a **** post.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I had to read this twice just to make sure that I got it right, but it's definitely there -you are complaining about me quoting a reason given by a person in the Forbes article in the same post that you accept making up a reason instead.

I know which approach I prefer. Are you going full on 'post truth'?

I stand by my comments about the new 'culture war' label. It's the fashionable way for elements of the Left to try to shut down arguments that they don't like. If it isn't, you might like to explain why you have suddenly started to use it. Hell, you have even just tried to use it to try to stop me commenting abouts its use. You couldn't make it up.

I have been pretty explict about my views on the Boleyn point. I think the colour of the actor is irrelevant (although I do think it risks having some kids writing history essays in which they say that Henry has her executed because he was a racist). Equally, I think that that white actors should be free to take black parts, unless, like I explained above, the colour of the character is an essential element of the story being told, in which case it would be foolish.

Simple interpretation for Roly: Raging done a **** post.
    Thanks Kerr. That is an extremely revealing post.

Thanks Kerr. That is an extremely revealing post.
    Like a white Othello

Sorry it lacks credibility

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Like a white Othello

Sorry it lacks credibility
    Sorry to whom? Who in their right mind would have a white Othello?!

Sorry to whom? Who in their right mind would have a white Othello?!
    Same people who make Anne Boleyn black. What's missed in this is that Channel 5 didn't select the "best" actress; they selected a black actress quite deliberately. Sadly, she was rubbish. Anyone who knows anything about Tudor history and the character of AB would findi it laughable.

Would anyone have taken any notice of another Henry VIII programme on channel 5?

Stick a black actress in it as Anne Boylen and everyone will talk about it.

Publicity trick that you’ve fallen for.

It sounded stupid to me so I didn’t watch it. I find if you ignore these things then they go away.

Who are the snowflakes melting over this? They gotya.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234