+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A visit to Jerusalem

A visit to Jerusalem

I took a one day trip to Jerusalem ,at last !Lots of photos ,if you would like to see more? No football, right?

In 1535, when Jerusalem was part of the Ottoman Empire, Sultan Suleiman I ordered the ruined city walls to be rebuilt. The work took some four years, between 1537 and 1541.
    In 70 CE, as a result of the Roman siege during the First Jewish–Roman War, the walls were almost completely destroyed. Jerusalem would remain in ruins for some six decades and without protective walls for over two centuries.
    In the 16th century, during the reign of the Ottoman Empire in the region, Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent decided to rebuild the city walls fully, partly on the remains of the ancient walls. Being built in circa 1537-1541, they are the walls that exist today.
    Jaffa Gate:

To the right ( not seen )is the Valley of Ge Ben Hinom or or Gehinnom,(Gehenna) In the Hebrew Bible, Gehenna was initially where some of the kings of Judah sacrificed their children by fire. Thereafter, it was deemed to be cursed (Book of Jeremiah 7:31, 19:2–6).

30) The people of Judah have done evil in my eyes, declares the Lord. They have set up their detestable idols in the house that bears my Name and have defiled it. 31) They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire—something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.
    The hebrew word Gehinnom has been translated as hell. So hell does not exist, just this valley

The Tower of David , also known as the Citadel, is an ancient citadel located near the Jaffa Gate entrance to the Old City of Jerusalem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_David
    The citadel that stands today dates to the Mamluk and Ottoman periods. It was built on the site of a series of earlier ancient fortifications of the Hasmonean, Herodian, Byzantine and Early Muslim periods, after being destroyed repeatedly during the last decades of Crusader presence in the Holy Land by their Muslim enemies.
    It contains important archaeological finds dating back over 2,500 years including a quarry dated to the First Temple period
    To the right is Mount Zion, a hill in Jerusalem, located just outside the walls of the Old City. Important sites on Mount Zion are Dormition Abbey, King David's Tomb and the Room of the Last Supper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Zion

The entrance through Jaffa Gate leads to the 'suk', arab market

Was it hot Balan ? 29 currently in Clitheroe, and not an A/C unit within a 100 miles. I'm just off for another cold shower.

It gets very warm this time of year and feels like 35C

The market has with the corona and less tourists ,become in parts almost empty

There are 4, Air conditioning units in my place. Then it can be switched on from morning till night!
    In Jerusalem its about 33C =91.4F, but feels much hotter. Now outside its in the north its 31 C. I have the A/C switched on since early morning

In the early morning at 5 am its 26 C, then I can shower 3 times a day ,its very humid being 2 km's from the Eastern Med. Humidity is much lower 59%

Fascinating photos Balan, I've never been to Jerusalem, but it does remind me of somewhere I have stayed a few times, it looks like very much like Marrakesh, except a lot cleaner.

Pretty sure the guy that used to live in the house we just bought was from there - we're getting tons of mail addressed to "The Occupier".

Christianity:
    The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is one of the most holy and special sites in Christianity. Located in the Christian Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem, the church is home to two of the holiest sites in Christianity – the site where Jesus was crucified, known as Calvary, and the tomb where Jesus was buried and then resurrected. Today, the tomb is enclosed by a shrine called the Aedicula. The final four Stations of the Cross, or Via Dolorosa, are also located inside the church.

Notice a small ladder under the top right window, it has been there since,......well, the so-called "immovable ladder" has been outside outside a window at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jeruselam's old City since at least the 1750's.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...er_a_21617106/

The Status Quo is an understanding among religious communities with respect to nine shared religious sites in Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

The status quo stemmed from a firman (decree) of Ottoman sultan Osman III in 1757, that preserved the division of ownership and responsibilities of various Christian holy places. Further firmans issued in 1852 and 1853 affirmed that no changes could be made without consensus from all six Christian communities. It is said "the ladder was first introduced at a time when the Ottomans taxed Christian clergy every time they left and entered the Holy Sepulchre."
    The window, ladder and ledge all belong to the Armenians. The ledge served as a balcony for the Armenian clergy resident in the Holy Sepulchre, and they reached it via the ladder. It was their only opportunity to get fresh air and sunshine. At one stage, apparently, they also grew fresh vegetables on the ledge.

The place where it is said Christ was lowered from the cross.
    This church in the Christian Quarter of the Old City is where Christ was crucified, buried and resurrected. This is one of the most venerated sites in Christendom, and a major pilgrimage destination. The site has been identified as Golgotha (or Calvary), the hill mentioned in the New Testament as crucifixion site. The church complex holds five of the 14 Stations of the Cross, the last places Jesus has walked, and inside are chapels and rooms with various objects associated with Christ, including the Stone of Anointing, where his body was cleansed and anointed after the deposition and right before burial.

free pic upload

The place where it is said Jesus is buried

free pic upload

wanderlust: Not sure if you have that urge, that lust to wander ? Otherwise you would know who "The Occupier" is?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)