+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Hundred

The Hundred

Anyone bothering with this?

I watched last night (IMO a bit turgid) and tonight (slightly better and featuring Carlos Brathwaite which is always worth a watch), and the impression I get is the authorities are trying a bit too hard. The 'clarification' of the terminology is anything but (Mrs F and one of the Fabers confirm this) and the BBC presentation is a bit 'flat' - even when trying to 'big up' the 'atmosphere' in last night's game in a 3/4 empty ground.

However, benefit of the doubt and all that, I'm off to Brum tomorrow to watch The Birmingham Bull****ters take on the Thames Valley Royals (only kidding - remember them?) to see if its any better in the flesh

Anyone?

I haven't mustered any interest in it. My boss took his son to see the game last night, so I suppose it will have some value for introducing people to the sport, but whether it'll last or not is another matter.

Enjoy the game!

Cannot get excited by it as the franchise model has, so to speak, disenfranchised the Gloucestershire supporter in me. Thus its the same as, for instance, watching Jamaica vs Barbados in the CPL. I watched a bit of it on Sky last night and wasn't impressed - T20 with a few tweaks and a presentation style going further into the hole of lowest common denominator (football fan!). All in all, I would say "pointless". Already too many formats to the game and so no need for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Cannot get excited by it as the franchise model has, so to speak, disenfranchised the Gloucestershire supporter in me. Thus its the same as, for instance, watching Jamaica vs Barbados in the CPL. I watched a bit of it on Sky last night and wasn't impressed - T20 with a few tweaks and a presentation style going further into the hole of lowest common denominator (football fan!). All in all, I would say "pointless". Already too many formats to the game and so no need for this one.
    Completely agree with every word of that. T20 is an entertaining form of the game aimed at those with limited concentration spans. Not sure what ‘The Hundred’ offers beyond that.

Anyone changed their mind over the last three weeks? Have to be honest...it’s been much better than I thought. The on screen graphics are poor, the sponsorship by snack companies absurd, I don’t much care for the kits, Pietersen and Sammy are enormously irritating and I agree with GP about the geographical peculiarities (eg is anyone from Derbyshire suddenly going to support Trent Rockets?)...but the cricket has been okay and what I’ve seen of the women’s game has been intriguingly entertaining.

Haven't watched any of the women's matches - in fairness mostly because they are on during working hours, so not able to comment. Have seen a few bits of games, but it hasn't held my attention sufficient to watch a whole game. And my attention has allowed me to watch entire 50 over games between non test-playing nations.

TV graphics are indeed terrible and the kits garish. The focus on predominantly attracting children and women doesn't work for me. It was hyped as bringing the best cricketers in the world to play in the tournament - yet most teams seem to feature a share of county 2nd XI players or emerging players.

Still a "miss" for me

The womens game attracted me, something to do with ponytails and baseball caps 🤗

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    The womens game attracted me, something to do with ponytails and baseball caps ��
    Lol...you dirty old man.........know what you mean though!

We have Test Cricket. We have the County game. We have one day cricket. We have T20. Do we need another "quick" version of the game?

One day and T20 have already been accused of detracting from County and Test cricket. Will the Hundred only take players further from the skills necessary for County and Test cricket?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)