+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Too much too soon for smaller squads

Too much too soon for smaller squads

I just listened to GA's pre-Annan interview (https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/...nnan-athletic/).

He's unhappy about having to play competitive matches twice a week without having a full squad so he can ease players into full fitness. It's "too much too soon for smaller squads".

Have Queen's Park, Queen of the South, Airdrie or Annan got bigger squads?

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    I just listened to GA's pre-Annan interview (https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/...nnan-athletic/).

He's unhappy about having to play competitive matches twice a week without having a full squad so he can ease players into full fitness. It's "too much too soon for smaller squads".

Have Queen's Park, Queen of the South, Airdrie or Annan got bigger squads?
    As the old saying goes “A bad workman blames his tools” on our last three showings we are over burdened with “tools” Every other season our manager whoever it has been as come out and said the most important thing at this stage isto get match time minutes into the players, Now we have had the opportunity to do so, we are using the excuse we have too small a squad etc,we are meant to be a full time professional club. You don’t hear NHS workers complaining and throwing in the towel with the number of hours, they are working because of COVID instead they roll up their sleeves and get on with it. As I have said previously I really fear for our top flight status this season. Every other op flight team as strengthened where as we have weakened our player pool. I hope I am proved totally wrong but looking at our style of play and tactics so far I wouldn’t be surprised if Alexander is out of a job before XMAS

That's a pathetic excuse from Alexander.

Jury's no longer out IMO. We've employed a whinger who appears out of his depth in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Jury's no longer out IMO. We've employed a whinger who appears out of his depth in a big way.
    I've stayed silent until now.

For good reason.

I know just a little bit more about GA than most.

He will come good at a diddy club like ours. Give him time.

He knows how to get us to the safety of 10th.

My concern is with recruitment.

So many wastes of money from the lower leagues and Livingston.

FFS, why is Lawless back?

Why was that A Hole Gallagher not booted into touch for his disruption?

Not liking the Club feel.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Sadly that appears to be the case. I said the other day that I could see him chucking it sooner rather than later and I stand by that. He just doesn't seem to fancy it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Sadly that appears to be the case. I said the other day that I could see him chucking it sooner rather than later and I stand by that. He just doesn't seem to fancy it imo.
    I hate his media persona too I have to say but I'm not sure being a bit grumpy, whiny etc necessarily means he'll chuck it. But it's not a good look at the best of times, especially when times are tough.

What I would say against that is Alexander has been backed by considerable resources (relatively obvs) so on the basis he knew there was a rebuilding job to be done, why we would he throw in the towel now?

Big money paid for Kelly, three-year deal, money for Slattery, three-year deal, Woolery and Shields both on three-year deals - how many folk have we signed on three-year deals in the last while? Can't be many. The Finnish defender, who is reportedly in the bag, has top-flight experience from all over the continent, played in Europe and has 30 caps for a side who made the Euros (and fwiw, Danish media referred to his club "selling" him to us, so we could be paying for him too).

You said in another post you wanted a change in recruitment strategy, everyone agreed, and you've fair got it.

We all wanted to rip it up and start again from the squad of last season. Alexander makes me nervous for sure, he's very much in the jury's out phase, but if you decide to rebuild and commit the resources to it, a certain amount of holding our nerve is required even if the start is wobbly.

I am impressed or at least encouraged by the signing of Slattery and if we do manage to get the Finnish defender on board then all the more so.

I’m not saying that I think Alexander should go, it’s just that his demeanour suggests that he is unhappy and may decide to leave on his own accord before too long. The reason he is unhappy (if that is indeed the case of course) is anybody’s guess but he certainly doesn’t look like a man who is enthralled and enthusiastic about the prospect of taking the club forward.

Fair enough. You get some people who just can't help moaning but I wish someone at the club - given we have an award-winning media department and all - would give him a bit of a prod about it.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)