+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: So this is what we are paying Roberts for

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    "None so blind as those who will not see"......yes Roberts (whose remuneration I will remind you is the only subject of criticism in this thread), is indeed being paid the "going PL rate, but delivering what value for said rate (and are you really suggesting that a player being paid millions each year and who contributes little or nothing to 1st team success "doesn't matter"?)?

As for the "can't enjoy" nonsense, do as I suggested Totty do and look back over my posts for let's say, last season. Not that I don't enjoy the good stuff, I'm just not as willing as some to close my eyes to the less good stuff. We did that before and look where it got us.
    That’s fine and as I have said on various threads before is entirely your prerogative but equally it’s fine for others to have either a contrary view or not let the white noise issues affect their enjoyment - each to his own I guess and I genuinely get concerned for you sometimes - peace and out 🙃👍

FAO Mr WTF
    If you only wish to sing when we're winning that's fine by me.

I & many others also sing when we're losing but unlike some we don't attack individual players or fans which is something you regularly do.I've been on here for many years and many seasons LUFC & it's match going fans got me through some bad personal times.That kind of loyalty I'll not forget and neither will my folks.

With Marcelo Bielsa in charge, you get the following proven fact whether you agree or not !

1.An out-of-favour 22-year-old CM transformed into the mainstay of England's Euro final*midfield in under 3 years.
    2.A fairly unremarkable Championship LWB proving himself as the most versatile and arguably unheralded best PL player last season.
    3.A League One nicknamed CB successfully captaining his team in the country's top-flight.
    4.A 21-year-old CB that in time looks set to become one of the best defenders*in England's top division.
    5.A League One / Two defender turned into a sought-after £50m+ acquisition and future England prospect.
    6.An awkward*19-year-old*GK thrust into the starting limelight in unexpected circumstances, now an undeniable starter and PL record-holder.
    7.A fan-frustrating LW which most now deem to be an £11m bargain acquisition despite hollering that we needed far better.
    8.A similarly maligned, much-derided, palmed-around striker becoming the 4th top scorer in the Premier League with 17 goals.Performances, results and final positions that go far beyond normal expectations.
    9.A belief and a style of play that demands attention and seems difficult for mere mortal managers to fashion, fathom or counteract.
    10.The hardest working team I/you've maybe ever seen in football.

This is a considered opinion of merit mate from fans who I mix with,travel with and communicate with on other forums but your entitled to your opinion as was this Leeds forum excellent post below.I'm having a football absence of leave for a while to spend my money entertaining with who l want to be with.

Nice summary of my general thoughts. Much more detailed and specific.

Just saw that we might be linked with Daamsgard? That also could sum up just how far we've come.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Nice summary of my general thoughts. Much more detailed and specific.

Just saw that we might be linked with Daamsgard? That also could sum up just how far we've come.
    The Noah Lang and Ryan Kent links aren’t going away either - any one or two of them would be impressive.

Few players have commented on how hard pre season training has been so looks like we are aiming to raise the bar again.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    FAO Mr WTF
    If you only wish to sing when we're winning that's fine by me.

I & many others also sing when we're losing but unlike some we don't attack individual players or fans which is something you regularly do.I've been on here for many years and many seasons LUFC & it's match going fans got me through some bad personal times.That kind of loyalty I'll not forget and neither will my folks.

With Marcelo Bielsa in charge, you get the following proven fact whether you agree or not !

1.An out-of-favour 22-year-old CM transformed into the mainstay of England's Euro final*midfield in under 3 years.
    2.A fairly unremarkable Championship LWB proving himself as the most versatile and arguably unheralded best PL player last season.
    3.A League One nicknamed CB successfully captaining his team in the country's top-flight.
    4.A 21-year-old CB that in time looks set to become one of the best defenders*in England's top division.
    5.A League One / Two defender turned into a sought-after £50m+ acquisition and future England prospect.
    6.An awkward*19-year-old*GK thrust into the starting limelight in unexpected circumstances, now an undeniable starter and PL record-holder.
    7.A fan-frustrating LW which most now deem to be an £11m bargain acquisition despite hollering that we needed far better.
    8.A similarly maligned, much-derided, palmed-around striker becoming the 4th top scorer in the Premier League with 17 goals.Performances, results and final positions that go far beyond normal expectations.
    9.A belief and a style of play that demands attention and seems difficult for mere mortal managers to fashion, fathom or counteract.
    10.The hardest working team I/you've maybe ever seen in football.

This is a considered opinion of merit mate from fans who I mix with,travel with and communicate with on other forums but your entitled to your opinion as was this Leeds forum excellent post below.I'm having a football absence of leave for a while to spend my money entertaining with who l want to be with.

I'm supposed to disagree with any of that? I note however that nothing in that list applies to Roberts, (strange that) and it certainly doesn't address the waste of resources allocated to several players (although this thread was aimed at him in particular).

As for the "we don't attack individual players" guff, I could mention many, many, MANY players who have come in for criticism (and NOT from me I'll make clear), but one of contemporary interest should be familiar to you, our erstwhile stand-in LB, one Gianni Alioski, who many have vilified over quite some time. He is by no means the only player to have had brickbats thrown at him on this forum, to pretend otherwise is disingenuous in the extreme.

The above (and earlier posts) are also "considered opinions", what else would I post on a forum?

Someone else who really doesn't understand the difference between a company listed on the stock exchange and one owned and controlled in its entirety, including the remuneration policy wrt to players and staff alike, by a small number of private shareholders, (hence why HOs analogy of supermarket shopping was so monumentally wide of the mark).

To address both posts (maybe);

I can buy milk etc at any number of places, depending on price, convenience, quality, etc etc, competition for my custom ensuring that retailers (of milk and just about everything else) perform adequately. The last time I looked, there was only one LUFC, so if I want to watch LUFC there is just one supplier, and that supplier isn't subject to any of the corporate controls that apply to publicly quoted companies wrt to remuneration (even for the highest paid executives). So if I lay down my hard-earned cash to watch LUFC, each and every player is subject to a scrutiny on my part that is simply irrelevant when compared to milk, cans of beans etc, hence comparing my attitude to each is, as previously indicated, facile, as is comment about my employer dictating how I spend my money (did I suggest LUFC management should dictate how Roberts or any other player spend their kings ransom?).

Ten years of this condacending shyte, TEN fouking years we've put up with it??
    Jeeeeezzzzz - make it stop!

And yet again you demonstrate your inestimable ability to obfuscate and confuse.
    Wowzer!!! - Fouking confused me alright!!

Supply and demand are everything, don't u get that? We demand milk in copious amounts at next to nothing, irrespective of the impact on farmers hare and elsewhere. If it wasn't available, the world would end, obviously!

LUFC pay Roberts presumably on the basis that they think he will supply against demand for goals, etc (as an attacker). He hasn't supplied, and shows no clear signs of ever doing so in sufficient quantity (and quality) to justify the salary LUFC have agreed to pay him (so the question remains, WTF are we paying him for, apart from funding a lifestyle that includes the kind of "benefits" which are the subject of this thread?). I AM entitled to a view as to what we fund this guy for, given that he is supposed to be an attacker, score goals and contribute to team victories, none of which he has done in any significant fashion so far in his entire career with LUFC.

If LUFC do indeed disagree with betting, given your example (unlikely given their shirt sponsor) and Roberts bets, then they have a say in what he does with his money and can voice their disapproval, (unlikely in the circumstances). And yes, if that's the case, they should be able to say "stop" but they won't because they don't disapprove of betting.

There's a moral compass that most seem to have lost, nothing to do with money or how much, everything to do with whats right, and what's wrong. We're a club with a history that's littered with examples of "side before self", with examples of player behaviour that generations would be proud to follow, because its the right thing to do, and now the club funds the kind of lifestyle that we used to criticise the likes of Rooney and others for.

How are LUFC any different from Scum Chelski, Sh1tty, and so may others we have castigated before, when we pay a kings ransom to those who contribute less than nothing to the teams success (At least Rooney scored goals!) . Reward those who make us great, but lets not fall into the trap of so many other clubs of paying simply to maintain parity.

Usual pile of contradictory old tosh - Roberts is a member of Leeds utd squad - as such he plays quite regularly, and as such contributes to the success or otherwise of said club. This can be measured by the success or otherwise of the team on the field - and over the last two/three seasons Leeds utd have been relatively successful - say compared to the previous 15 or so seasons, and compared to say some other comparable sized clubs - and to the outlay each club has made in terms of player wages.

On the other hand, your favorite youngster Mr Gelldhart - though appearing to be a good player - but not yet measured as such in the big league, has yet to contribute ANYTHING to the success or otherwise of Leeds Utd in terms of Premiership results, the same can be said for many more Leeds Utd squad players - BUT I don't see the same level of bile leveled at him or any others???

I do recall over various close seasons though, your antagonism and dismay about Leeds aquiring various other current first team squad players - who have also contributed to the success of our rejuvenated club - ie - Rodrigo, Llorente, Harrison, to name just three - but it would appear that as you haven't come accross much about their choice of girlfriends - they havent quite upset you to the same degree - although they where all deemed equally "Sh it" at one point or another by your good self - usually before having even kicked a ball for the team.

But you just carry on picking an argument with every poster on here..... for at least ten years you have been doing it that I can remember, and unfortunately you seem to be getting even grumpier with age.

Suppose I have to admire your staying power and consistency in ailienating virtually every poster over the same period.

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    Usual pile of contradictory old tosh - Roberts is a member of Leeds utd squad - as such he plays quite regularly, and as such contributes to the success or otherwise of said club. This can be measured by the success or otherwise of the team on the field - and over the last two/three seasons Leeds utd have been relatively successful - say compared to the previous 15 or so seasons, and compared to say some other comparable sized clubs - and to the outlay each club has made in terms of player wages.

On the other hand, your favorite youngster Mr Gelldhart - though appearing to be a good player - but not yet measured as such in the big league, has yet to contribute ANYTHING to the success or otherwise of Leeds Utd in terms of Premiership results, the same can be said for many more Leeds Utd squad players - BUT I don't see the same level of bile leveled at him or any others???

I do recall over various close seasons though, your antagonism and dismay about Leeds aquiring various other current first team squad players - who have also contributed to the success of our rejuvenated club - ie - Rodrigo, Llorente, Harrison, to name just three - but it would appear that as you haven't come accross much about their choice of girlfriends - they havent quite upset you to the same degree - although they where all deemed equally "Sh it" at one point or another by your good self - usually before having even kicked a ball for the team.

But you just carry on picking an argument with every poster on here..... for at least ten years you have been doing it that I can remember, and unfortunately you seem to be getting even grumpier with age.

Suppose I have to admire your staying power and consistency in ailienating virtually every poster over the same period.
    Well that should put this thread to bed...... 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Well that should put this thread to bed...... 🙄
    Keep your money in your pocket

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)