+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Forest game

Forest game

Quite a good turnout for the game, including a lot of Forest supporters. KL still not available. Realise it is still pre-season but it is hard to know what our final selection will be.

For the 1st hour Forest dominated and eventually got a deserved 2 goal advantage. Our midfield and forwards were not in the game and were constantly losing possession easily. First game for MacDonald and he had a shocker. Probably not match fit. Subbed and replaced by Lundstram. From the first minute Murphy and Lundstram combined well and transformed the game. Finally the Alex were dominating the game and starting to play the football we know they are capable of. Ainley got a nice deserved team worked goal. Then Onyeka came on and with one of his first touches got a stunning goal. Not content with that his pace and direct running had Forest`s defence in panic mode. In the final 10 minutes there was only one team in the game, but Forest managed to hang on ending as a good draw.

Some comments about a few of our players. Richards once again failed to control the penalty area and even more of those crazy goalkicks. If they do not stop can see them being really costly. Ramsay looks a really good intelligent player. Think we`ve got a good one there. Believe Adebisi will be steady and will improve with games. Lundstram on that performance alone he has to be in the team from the start. Good movement, physically strong, competitive, and combined excellently with Murphy. Onyeka wow what an exciting young player, and what a sub to have available.

With the right team selection I believe our team can be better this coming season.

O/S appears to believe it was Rio Adebisi who scored the 2nd goal, though Onyeka nearly got a winner after that. Was it at all clear why Jaaskelainen wasn't even on the bench (don't think we even had a sub keeper, with a young Alex XI also playing at Congleton at the same time)?

Definitely Adebisi who scored...and what a goal! Somebody with a bit of vision noticed the space on that right side for both players (Ramsey and Adebisi), which led to both goals. The second pin-point ball, I believe was from Offord. He had a decent game, covering runs, space and intercepting until he dropped a clanger from having the responsibility of playing out from the back and doing a 'Beckles'.
    Richards showed why many of us prefer Will, even though Will has a lot to learn. Ramsey is brilliant- pacy, talented on the ball, sharp into the tackle - he will do well for the season. Adebisi had another competent game topped by his outstanding goal. MacDonald was totally off the pace and gave the ball away numerous times. Lundstram was much better on the ball though I think would be better further forward and let Murphy do the dirty work in front of defence. Daniels ok. Ainley played one of his better games, just behind the forward line, doing what he does best and running at their defence. His beautifully executed run-into-the-box and well-hit finish were a great end to an excellent move. Murphy was tidy and added that bit of steel. I thought Porter was quite mobile and looked fitter than last season. What do I say about Charlie??? Such a talented footballer; such potential; such a waste of time at times! Frustrating doesn't cover it. Let's just say he moans well . Long seemed to be less useful out wide but then he was up against a decent full-back on his side. Despite the fact that things started to change when Dale came on, it has to be said it had little to do with him as he had one of his quieter games.
    So a second game where we finished stronger. Overall, this game had less excitement than the previous 2 and was a little mundane at times. Forest were just beginning to control the game when they scored and that goal game them the impetus to dominate, without doing much harm for the rest of the half. The second continued in much the same as the first but slowly the Alex began to get back into it and finished really strongly. Onyeka should have scored soon after he came on, pinching the ball from the CH just inside their half and thus still having a lot of time to reach the goal. This was the problem as doubt started to grow in his mind and he started to look for someone to pass the responsibility to rather than going for it himself. Still he's young and an amazing prospect. (Haven't been as excited as this by a young player since I saw a young Owen Dale come on against Man City youth all those years ago.)
    It's been an interesting week of pre-season games (but definitely only pre-season games) that suggests we won't do any worse than last year. Let's hope we don't continue with the slow starts and overhit crosses (with nobody round the back!). We have loads of pace up front, which needs to be exploited and not wasted by very slow build/hold-up play at the back. Not sure how Mandron is going to fit into this group now unless we can get the ball to him quickly. Lowery has blown it! With the wealth of midfield players we can call on, even though some are not ready to play lots of games, he has missed his chance to fit into a formation. He has skills that can be utilised but why should throwing your toys out of the pram be rewarded ahead of those players coming through? It's going to be an interesting season. (just hope the pandemic doesn't ruin it again!)

Has Will been pinged?

The footy was entertaining on Saturday & I agree that there was only going to be one side scoring at the end.
    I have to say I was shocked at the lack of mask wearing and social distancing, it was like no one had heard there's still a deadly virus going round. I was particularly annoyed at the lack of mask wearing by the kids serving in the concourse. Poor show from the club IMO.

Think that in our first game it is essential that we should have Lundstram partnering Murphy in CM. To continue with that pairing at least until MacDonald is match fit. Will give us a strong base with Ramsay, Murphy, Lundstram, and Adebisi. Each one of these players are capable of going forward to assist the more advanced players. Gives us better chances of keeping possession. Also believe that clever use of our subs could be an important factor this season.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Has Will been pinged?
    Apparently he has - and now Owen Dale too.

No Sam Booth on the bench, no doubt because we also had an XI out at Congleton (lost 3-1) at the same time. Not just U-23s, must have been mainly U-18s!