+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fan Led Review of Football Governance

Fan Led Review of Football Governance

From last Thursday, the interim findings and recommendations of the government's 'Fan Led Review of Football Governance', led by Tracey Crouch MP:.....

"I would recommend urgent reform of the National League Board and voting structures as it is clear that a significant part of the league has no confidence in the current set up."

"I am also aware of the FSA survey of National League supporters in which a strong majority supported the National League top division being absorbed into the EFL structure. I recommend that the EFL & National League...consider this further."

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    From last Thursday, the interim findings and recommendations of the government's 'Fan Led Review of Football Governance', led by Tracey Crouch MP:.....

"I would recommend urgent reform of the National League Board and voting structures as it is clear that a significant part of the league has no confidence in the current set up."

"I am also aware of the FSA survey of National League supporters in which a strong majority supported the National League top division being absorbed into the EFL structure. I recommend that the EFL & National League...consider this further."
    It would be ironic if, after years of talking about downsizing, the EFL actually increased in size. Can’t see it ever happening because why would the National League vote to make itself considerably less attractive? I’m sure there are 24 non-league teams who would see this as a great idea, but a few of them (York, Boston, Fylde, etc.) are currently in the sixth division.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    It would be ironic if, after years of talking about downsizing, the EFL actually increased in size. Can’t see it ever happening because why would the National League vote to make itself considerably less attractive? I’m sure there are 24 non-league teams who would see this as a great idea, but a few of them (York, Boston, Fylde, etc.) are currently in the sixth division.

This ^^^

The NL is the ''jewel in the crown'' of the National League structure. I really can't see them wanting or voting for it to be ''taken away''.

Like the EFL, I don't think the NL is run on a one vote per club basis, IIRC the 5th tier has greater voting power than the 6th tier.
    With all that's happened over the past 18 months, if absorbing 10, 15 or 20 5th tier clubs into the EFL was on the table, it probably wouldn't be impossible to get it over the line if the deal offered more security for those in the 6th tier. There's always some sort of financial package that can be worked out if the will to do it is there.

I wonder if this would mean advancing National League 1 (or whatever the league we are now in is called) into the EFL as League 3? Surely the clubs in this existing league would welcome that, with a proper 2 up 2 down, not fannying about like wot they do now. At least it would mean not being run by amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    I wonder if this would mean advancing National League 1 (or whatever the league we are now in is called) into the EFL as League 3? Surely the clubs in this existing league would welcome that, with a proper 2 up 2 down, not fannying about like wot they do now. At least it would mean not being run by amateurs.
    Presumably a reason for some NL clubs not wanting to join the EFL would be stricter rules and regulations which they would be unable to meet because they don't have the finances or infrastructure in place. There have been a fair number of clubs over the years who've gone under just by trying to compete at the highest levels of non-league, North Ferriby being the most recent example. On the other hand, some tier 6 clubs could be all for tier 5 clubs joining the EFL if it meant relaxing some of the NL rules these clubs currently struggle to adhere to.

I would imagine it's a lot more complicated that we might assume, but from a Notts point of view a "League Three" would be most welcome.