+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: All quiet on the transfer front...

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    You're doing fine. At least you've not had to deal with the ignominy of bad owners selling off one side of the stadium to put a crap supermarket in it or the Council holding up planning permission for years whilst the club runs up massive debt or a w****r like Anderson selling off the training ground and the car park, mortgaging everything else and stripping off the last assets of the carcass. Immediately followed by and years and years of transfer embargo for being skint until only the kids were left and even some of those were sold.

Garlick may have his critics but look back at where you were when he bought BFC - struggling to survive in the Championship and you didn't even own Turf Moor!
    We have had 5 successive seasons and 6 altogether including parachute payments in the richest league in the world and what for? Gawthorpe?
    We now have a club in debt and unable to buy £20m players when we could buy £15m players 5 years ago.That is regression not progression.
    The thing that bothers everybody on here except Supersub is that Pace & Co promised investment-instead they emptied the powder room to buy the club and now are skint after buying one player.They thought like previous seasons we would get £20-30m offers for our crown jewels and that would have financed the so-called investment.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    We have had 5 successive seasons and 6 altogether including parachute payments in the richest league in the world and what for? Gawthorpe?
    We now have a club in debt and unable to buy £20m players when we could buy £15m players 5 years ago.That is regression not progression.
    The thing that bothers everybody on here except Supersub is that Pace & Co promised investment-instead they emptied the powder room to buy the club and now are skint after buying one player.They thought like previous seasons we would get £20-30m offers for our crown jewels and that would have financed the so-called investment.
    It makes grim reading does this post CiB, but it hits the nail square on the head I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    It makes grim reading does this post CiB, but it hits the nail square on the head I think.
    One of the clubs biggest fans-Garlick will be more than happy with the current situation I suspect BT.

One of the clubs biggest fans-Garlick will be more than happy with the current situation I suspect BT.
    With about £50 million in his sky rocket, I'm sure he is CiB.

Good points but I think you still underestimate the wealth gap in a football system where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
    Either spend more and more money just to stand still i.e. with an ever reducing balance sheet or try to build on nothing seems to be the order of the day. Gambling seldom works although you do get the occasional "lesser" club that bets the ranch and has success for a while but it seldom lasts.
    We had 11 consecutive seasons in the Prem after being promoted and relegated twice but we were lucky to do that as it was a time when you could buy world class players with something to prove for free or peanuts and spend the money on wages instead, but that doesn't happen any more so you have to tailor your cloth accordingly or risk ruin.
    Worse still, the rich clubs have cornered the market in young talent so that route is largely closed off.
    Ultimately it's about supporting your club through thick and thin - and for clubs like ours we have to expect a fair share of thin.
    Progress? These days it's more about survival IMO and promises of investment are seldom qualified with how much will be invested and what it will be invested in.

Sorry to sound bitter but I'm a Bolton fan and grateful we still exist to play Rovers on Saturday. Hopefully they won't humiliate us before we start scrapping it out in League 1.
    But you guys have a season of Premiership football to look forward to and who knows? - you might even do well. And even if you don't you'll get £130 million or so. What's not to like?

What's not to like Lusty is that we were a PL club with £50 million in the bank. Garlick has used that £50 million to finance a takeover of the club, and now we are a PL club with nothing in the bank. As if that wasn't bad enough, we had been told on numerous occasions that the club would only be sold to new owners who could bring investment into the club. A blatant lie, our new owners appear to have less money that our previous ones.

Coyle said he was leaving us for a club that was ten years ahead of us, I still think that, give or take a year or two, he may well have been right.
    Last edited by sinkov; 30-07-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Good points but I think you still underestimate the wealth gap in a football system where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
    Either spend more and more money just to stand still i.e. with an ever reducing balance sheet or try to build on nothing seems to be the order of the day. Gambling seldom works although you do get the occasional "lesser" club that bets the ranch and has success for a while but it seldom lasts.
    We had 11 consecutive seasons in the Prem after being promoted and relegated twice but we were lucky to do that as it was a time when you could buy world class players with something to prove for free or peanuts and spend the money on wages instead, but that doesn't happen any more so you have to tailor your cloth accordingly or risk ruin.
    Worse still, the rich clubs have cornered the market in young talent so that route is largely closed off.
    Ultimately it's about supporting your club through thick and thin - and for clubs like ours we have to expect a fair share of thin.
    Progress? These days it's more about survival IMO and promises of investment are seldom qualified with how much will be invested and what it will be invested in.

Sorry to sound bitter but I'm a Bolton fan and grateful we still exist to play Rovers on Saturday. Hopefully they won't humiliate us before we start scrapping it out in League 1.
    But you guys have a season of Premiership football to look forward to and who knows? - you might even do well. And even if you don't you'll get £130 million or so. What's not to like?
    Well said Wanderlust, almost every fan of every club is really good at spending other peoples' money. The world of football is a totally crazy world these days as far as finance is concerned and Burnley will never be able to compete on a level playing field with many of the PL clubs.
    There have been 49 clubs who have played in the PL since it came into being and 15 of those clubs spent less time in the PL than Burnley currently have.
    In addition there are 9 other teams with either the same number of seasons as the Clarets or with a few more seasons in the PL and they have been out of the PL for anything between 10 and 21 years. I wonder how many of these clubs would love to swap places with the Clarets? Yet, many of our fans do not appreciate just how much the club has achieved over the last 21 seasons since we were promoted from League Two.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Well said Wanderlust, almost every fan of every club is really good at spending other peoples' money. The world of football is a totally crazy world these days as far as finance is concerned and Burnley will never be able to compete on a level playing field with many of the PL clubs.
    There have been 49 clubs who have played in the PL since it came into being and 15 of those clubs spent less time in the PL than Burnley currently have.
    In addition there are 9 other teams with either the same number of seasons as the Clarets or with a few more seasons in the PL and they have been out of the PL for anything between 10 and 21 years. I wonder how many of these clubs would love to swap places with the Clarets? Yet, many of our fans do not appreciate just how much the club has achieved over the last 21 seasons since we were promoted from League Two.
    I get all of your gist Supersub6, but if Garlick had one ounce of integrity in his body he could and should have waited and sold the club to an enterprise that could have funded a transfer war chest and had the proverbial pot to pi$$ in.

Instead as Alto rightly suspected for a number of seasons, Garlick sold Burnley Football Club down the Swanee River and still has the brass neck to sit on the board like a vulture hoping for one last crack at the carcass.

I'm not f*cking impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I get all of your gist Supersub6, but if Garlick had one ounce of integrity in his body he could and should have waited and sold the club to an enterprise that could have funded a transfer war chest and had the proverbial pot to pi$$ in.

Instead as Alto rightly suspected for a number of seasons, Garlick sold Burnley Football Club down the Swanee River and still has the brass neck to sit on the board like a vulture hoping for one last crack at the carcass.

I'm not f*cking impressed.
    Garlick was Chairman, from what we have heard he was not talking to the manager and many fans were blaming him for lack of investment etc. and were frightened that the manager mya quit.
    Bear in mind that he had HIS money invested in the club, therefore, he made the decision that, because of the situation with him and the manager and without the fans' backing, he should stand down, take HIS money. or at least some of it, and stand down as Chairman, thus meeting the wishes of many, many fans.
    He has not received all HIS money, therefore, he remains on the board, at least for as long as this is achieved.

BT, you tell me that you would not have done exactly the same if you were in his situation. Perhaps you wouldn't, however. would you have sacked the manager? In thr situation as it was, it would appear that one had to go and I am sure that the rest of the board would have kicked up a fuss at the thought that he would sack the manager.
    All this being taken into consideration and with the hands of the remainder of the board being firmly tied, he found a buyer, the rest of the board decided to take THEIR money and enjoy their retirement without the encumbrance of running a football club.

Chairman ---no longer Chairman ---fans are happy. Board members no longer responsible for the club -----they are happy and have their money back in their pockets.
    However, fans are not happy, because Chairman has done exactly what they wanted him to do but nothing has changed. It's easy running a football club ----just ask anybody who has never done it!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Garlick was Chairman, from what we have heard he was not talking to the manager and many fans were blaming him for lack of investment etc. and were frightened that the manager mya quit.
    Bear in mind that he had HIS money invested in the club, therefore, he made the decision that, because of the situation with him and the manager and without the fans' backing, he should stand down, take HIS money. or at least some of it, and stand down as Chairman, thus meeting the wishes of many, many fans.
    He has not received all HIS money, therefore, he remains on the board, at least for as long as this is achieved.

BT, you tell me that you would not have done exactly the same if you were in his situation. Perhaps you wouldn't, however. would you have sacked the manager? In thr situation as it was, it would appear that one had to go and I am sure that the rest of the board would have kicked up a fuss at the thought that he would sack the manager.
    All this being taken into consideration and with the hands of the remainder of the board being firmly tied, he found a buyer, the rest of the board decided to take THEIR money and enjoy their retirement without the encumbrance of running a football club.

Chairman ---no longer Chairman ---fans are happy. Board members no longer responsible for the club -----they are happy and have their money back in their pockets.
    However, fans are not happy, because Chairman has done exactly what they wanted him to do but nothing has changed. It's easy running a football club ----just ask anybody who has never done it!
    The thing is sub , we can vent our anger in only one way and this is it , and what your saying is right and I wouldn’t argue an ounce if the previous chairman hadn’t constantly reminded us how much he was a fan and loved the club and above that wouldn’t sell to anyone who wasn’t in tune with the club - the fans and the history and above all progression.( ie we were told there were many before these lot who wanted to buy / invest but he chose not to entertain them because he believed them to be not right for the club ) not him - the club .

It seems now as BT says he blatantly lied and has dropped Burnley in the S-it so to speak, people can dress that up however they like - fit and proper owners it said - I personally would disagree at this moment in time.

We are a premiership club worse today than we were 3 years ago without , reckless spending , mis management of monies , just new owners that takes some explaining.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)